British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does this wing have any Royal Flying Corps connection (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81325)

Jack8 21-10-20 06:31 PM

Does this wing have any Royal Flying Corps connection

3 Attachment(s)
Can anyone help to identify this wing please and is there a remote possibility that the early Naval arm of the Royal Flying Corps had their own wing before the RNAS hence the red crown?

Attachment 232624

Attachment 232625

Attachment 232626

Thanks,
Jack.

Pembird 22-10-20 09:16 PM

Similar wing

As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.

Jack8 23-10-20 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pembird (Post 526345)
As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.

Thank you for your interest and the item number of the Bob Simms wing. I did take a look at that wing, it is a strange one with the letters SC which Bob Simms describes as RAF sailing club. It also has the laurel wreath which is absent on mine, which I thought it should have if were anything to do with the Royal Flying Corps.

Can anyone answer the question if the RFC had a specific wing for the early Naval arm c1912/13?

dragon166 23-10-20 10:35 PM

The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave

Jack8 24-10-20 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon166 (Post 526466)
The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I did post a thread a few days ago in the mystery section under the heading of a possible flying club badge without any success. I was led up the garden path with the red kings crown.

Will continue the flying club search.
Jack.

matti467 24-10-20 06:39 AM

Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s

Jack8 24-10-20 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 526487)
Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s

Thanks, I've now got their contact details from the internet, so I'll send them an email like I did with the Rural Flying Club.