British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Favourite sweethearts brooch (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50287)

Peter Brydon 21-12-15 11:40 AM

Favourite sweethearts brooch

1 Attachment(s)
Members who are also members of the GWF will not doubt have seen the thread "Handsomest British Great War Badge " and surprise, surprise the choices are to the regiments that members have a particular interest in.

As things seem a bit slow on here at the moment, I wonder if there would be interest in a "Favourite Sweethearts Brooch " thread.

It will probably come as no surprise that my favourite is a solid gold Kings Liverpool sweethearts but even better it cost me very little some time ago on our favourite auction site.

It would be interesting to see what the choices are of other members.

P.B.

GriffMJ 21-12-15 11:59 AM

I first saw this for sale at nearly £400 some years ago.... it then came up for sale on eBay and got it for the price of an ORs badge :D

http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/Yeomanr...LYDiamond2.jpg

Peter Brydon 21-12-15 12:06 PM

Griff,

That is very, very nice.

Peter

jeep 21-12-15 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Army Apprentices School. Could do with good clean, and there is one stone missing, but I like it.

Phil2M 21-12-15 01:46 PM

Has to be this one http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=76328

Tigerlily 21-12-15 03:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very nice Phil.
Loving the handsomest cap badge thread on GWF, was it me that called a lot of the Scottish badges clunky and samey? whoops!

Anyway, I've only got a few because if I start with sweethearts it will be yet another distraction from badges, grenades, caps, helmets, hackles, tanks...

But these are my 2 favourites, first is the Garrard & Co Para Regt brooch, then not really a sweetheart, my MGC veterans pin by Thomas Mott

Chacal 21-12-15 05:15 PM

My favourite sweetheart brooch

1 Attachment(s)
My parents realised early on in my life that I wasn't like other children of my age: I was disinterested in sports, and my vocabulary was advanced, due to my inheriting their love of books, and colourful, due to Dad spending 30-odd years in the Royal and Merchant Navies :D:eek:. Once they were sure that collecting with me was more than a passing fad, and that any family treasures wouldn't be swapped for comics or whatever, Dad entrusted me with his father's 14/15 Star, and Mum with this brooch, the survivor of a pair my uncle brought back to Dublin after serving as a Redcap in North Africa and Europe. Presumably there was once a thriving cottage industry in making these with various badges; doubtless many have been broken or lost over the years, I've never seen another (although TBH I've never looked). It's funny, now I think of it, but it means more now than when I was first given it: it not only symbolises the love a soldier had for his sisters, thousands of miles away, but also the trust my parents had in me at quite a young age:).

Anyway, hope you like it

Graham

Fatboy Ken 25-12-15 07:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to you all, :-)

I'm like others on here, I have more than one sweetheart badge that I like to call my all time favourite, the reason being, I keep finding others that seem to stand out more and more.

So I'm sorry to say here are my top 3 :(:eek:;)

3rd Place
Attachment 138172 RASC (GviR) Forget-Me-Knot

2nd Place
Attachment 138173 ASC Pin Flag (c1902-1903)

1st Place
Attachment 138174 An extremely rare EviiiR Sweetheart (Cap badges are hard enough to find !!!)

Hope you like them

Ken (The Fatboy)

BROOKIES 25-12-15 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Christmas to all.

I have to go with something from Wales, out of the 40 or so in the collection got to go for this.

Jonathan

Attachment 138175

GTB 29-12-15 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have very many 'sweethearts', so I'll post them en masse. I would say that my favourite is an RFC which I posted fairly recently. Runner-up would be the London Scottish, posted here.
GTB

Roy 29-12-15 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings Lads & Lasses,

I have been enjoying watching and reading this thread, as who doesn't like a nice 'sweetheart'..? Some really lovely badges shown and I'm sure more will be on the way and heartily look forward to seeing them.

I'm afraid I only have one example to post, no less special for that. It is to my KSLI collection and is die-cast in silver (marked 'sterling') and is in the same design and size as a R/H collar badge. Not fancy but made really well. Horizontal broach pin is broken.

Hopefully this won't remain my only one, as after seeing some of these beauties I know I will be tempted should something special come along to my collecting interest.

Cheers, Roy.

Drummajor 29-12-15 09:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my contribution, mostly all Scottish with a few odd ones thrown in. Enjoy.
Phil.

Roy 29-12-15 09:57 PM

Hi Phil,

That is an impressive collection with some stunning looking badges.

Would it be possible to pick a couple of your favorites and show some larger images?

Cheers, Roy.

Drummajor 29-12-15 10:01 PM

OK Roy, will get on to it.
Phil.

Mike Jackson 30-12-15 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My favourite since, being hand made and found in Wiltshire, it must have a romantic story to tell. Did the recipient ever get to New Zealand post 1918? Did the maker survive the War?
Mike
Attachment 138453