British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Victorian Scottish (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74465)

enfant perdus 07-07-19 02:18 PM

Victorian Scottish

1 Attachment(s)
A poster on reddit shared this photo of his greta-grandfather, incorrectly labeled as Black Watch. I identified it as Victorian scottish based on the sporran badge and what I could make of the glengarry badge and plaid brooch. OP indicated this made sense as the gentleman was born in Geelong in 1862 (surname McCoubrie).

My questions then are:

1) What tartans did the Regiment wear?
2) What is the rosette with tartan ribbons not to the brooch?
3) What is the device between the crown and rifles on the proficiency badge? Would it be a star for volunteers? Also, I assume this is for best shot in the company or band, as in British practice?

Thanks!
ep

Drummajor 07-07-19 09:48 PM

The Victorian Scottish Regiment was raised on the 29th of August 1898, however they wore plain clothes for about a year until some uniforms became available for private purchase in 1899. The tartan was Gordon.

Phil.

fairlie63 08-07-19 04:41 AM

Crossed rifles with crown and star above was for best shot in a regiment, Victorian Military Forces, 1893 onwards.

Keith

enfant perdus 08-07-19 01:42 PM

Thank you both for the information!

manchesters 08-07-19 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 483180)
Crossed rifles with crown and star above was for best shot in a regiment, Victorian Military Forces, 1893 onwards.

Keith

Keith,

Sounds a lovely badge.

Do you have any examples you could post as I would love to see such great old pieces.

regards

mike_vee 08-07-19 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Found three variations on another site .

1.The crossed rifles with star above was Best Shot in Squadron, Company or Band, a Prize Badge worn lower left arm.

2.Crossed rifles in wreath with star above - Best Combined Shot among Corporals, Lance Corporals & Privates in a Regiment or Battalion, a Prize Badge worn lower left arm.

3. Best Shot of Sergeants & Lance Sergeants of a Regiment or Battalion.

Descriptions curtesy of Leigh Kitchen (circa 2009).

manchesters 08-07-19 04:14 PM

Thanks Mike,

But they are the standard UK ones.

The Keith has described is much rarer, hence the request for a photo.

regards

enfant perdus 08-07-19 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 483214)
Thanks Mike,

But they are the standard UK ones.

The Keith has described is much rarer, hence the request for a photo.

regards

Agreed, note in particular that the badge in the picture has slings on the rifles.

fairlie63 08-07-19 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 483210)
Keith,

Sounds a lovely badge.

Do you have any examples you could post as I would love to see such great old pieces.

regards

Hi Simon, no example sorry, I only collect artillery post 1902.

Victoria had some really interesting proficiency badges prior to Federation.

The other Australian colonies mostly followed the British practices.

Cheers,
Keith

manchesters 08-07-19 08:15 PM

Thanks Keith

mike_vee 09-07-19 06:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Try again , is this the badge referrred to ?

Pics courtesy of diggerhistory.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/marksman.htm

manchesters 09-07-19 06:51 AM

yes, thanks Mike.

Interesting to see a 6 pointed star used in Victoria, whereas we here had 5, the six pointed star only used by RN & RM.

regards

kingsley 09-07-19 08:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Simon, here is the photo you wanted. This one is dated 1898 and I have another dated 1862 with additional added date scrolls. I understand they were worn in the colonies of Victoria and NSW and others with a single musket were worn in Tasmania and WA. They started with the formation of our earliest militia infantry around 1860 (20 companies in NSW).
With the new 1853 Enfield rifle it was at last possible to train an ordinary soldier to hit a target, unlike the Waterloo-style Brown Bess drill with volley musketry. It was also the era of the Whitworth and of the popularity of rifle clubs with local and inter-colonial matches.
Years ago I borrowed a Minie bullet mould, cast some projectiles, and found the Enfield really WAS accurate.
I don't have photos of the other skill at arms badges but will take some when able.

kingsley 09-07-19 10:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just found a couple more scans

manchesters 09-07-19 12:06 PM

Kingsley,

Thanks for the photos, very nice.

regards