British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Trying to find correct headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79052)

ssr481 04-06-20 02:24 PM

Trying to find correct headdress

2 Attachment(s)
Have just acquired the below cap badge and am trying to source the proper cap or beret on which it might have been worn..

Luke H 04-06-20 02:32 PM

Natal Mounted Rifles, worn on the slouch hat I believe.

ssr481 04-06-20 03:03 PM

Thanks.. trying to put a collection of things together on Ted Swales.. he was a WO2 in the NMR just before transfering to the SAAF.

Milmed 04-06-20 04:34 PM

First NMR title cap badge I have seen in gilding metal. I stand under correction but from what I understand these should only be in white metal.

Could this be a possible copy/repro produced from an original die? There were a number of SA badges reproduced in the 1970's

If original, it could be one of those WWII bronzed badges that has had a real good cleaning to remove the bronze and exposing the brass.

ssr481 04-06-20 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm leaning towards original (on close inspection of the two uprights in the M, I see brass that's relatively shiny).. I have an NMR badge that's white metal, shiny, that may have been for dress uniforms.. it came with the NMR shoulder titles.. the NMR cap badge itself only has two lugs, versus the three in the bronzed one, and the reverse of the badge is rather roughly cast.

Frank Kelley 06-06-20 07:36 PM

The original slouch hat badges were also actually manufactured in gm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milmed (Post 511724)
First NMR title cap badge I have seen in gilding metal. I stand under correction but from what I understand these should only be in white metal.

Could this be a possible copy/repro produced from an original die? There were a number of SA badges reproduced in the 1970's

If original, it could be one of those WWII bronzed badges that has had a real good cleaning to remove the bronze and exposing the brass.

Alex Rice 07-06-20 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 511735)
I'm leaning towards original (on close inspection of the two uprights in the M, I see brass that's relatively shiny).. I have an NMR badge that's white metal, shiny, that may have been for dress uniforms.. it came with the NMR shoulder titles.. the NMR cap badge itself only has two lugs, versus the three in the bronzed one, and the reverse of the badge is rather roughly cast.

I'm assuming this chromed badge is smaller than the brass example. These were beret badges and if it is rough, it must be one of the wartime economy ones, which were cast. They are quite common like that and there are quite a few variations. They were worn on the berets. Larger ones were either slouch hats as mentioned or on the pith helmets.
Cheers,
Alex