British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   25th Middlesex Bank of England Volunteers pouch badge? photograph (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42063)

mooke07 04-10-14 08:19 AM

25th Middlesex Bank of England Volunteers pouch badge? photograph

1 Attachment(s)
Another old badge photograph,

Written on the back - 25th Middlesex Bank of England Volunteers pouch badge with a question mark.

Attractive badge, never seen this one before, cheers Dean.

Keith Blakeman 04-10-14 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 280056)

Written on the back - 25th Middlesex Bank of England Volunteers pouch badge with a question mark.

Frustratingly, when I was going through a load of the unfinished 'Gaunt' stuff there was a back plate in there but Brittania was missing. It's still there as far as I know.

Sonofacqms 04-10-14 09:03 AM

BOE Museum

Dean,

The Bank of England have I think a museum or archives on this particular unit, when I worked in the printing industry we did a leaflet advertising this, sadly I did not keep one.

Maybe an enquiry to them would help.

Rob

mooke07 04-10-14 10:53 AM

Thanks Rob - bit of research possible on many of these and that is an interesting prospect thanks Keith.

Noxin 07-10-14 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 280056)

Hello Dean,

Unable positively to identify where precisely the BoE badge in your picture would have been worn, but can tell you that an almost identical w/m example at the BoE Museum, was simply labelled as a 'Uniform Badge' of the '25th Middlesex (Bank of England) Volunteer Rifle Company', which means it dates from anywhere between 1880 and 1908.

A little info I have managed to pick up along the way which may interest you:

1790 The Gordon Riots - BoE defended by bank staff
1798 Formation of Corps of Bank Volunteers
1802 Volunteers disbanded
1803 Volunteers reformed
Attachment 113725
1814 Volunteers finally disbanded
1866 July, clerks and senior staff of the Bank form a company of Rifle Volunteers, which became part of the 21st Middlesex (Civil Service) RVC
1875 1st December, porters and messengers of the Bank form a new company, designated as 50th (Bank of England)
1880 The company is renumbered as 25th (Bank of England) VRC, and continued until the formation of the TF.

An entry in the London Gazette of 3rd September 1880, lists the re-designation of the unit from 50th to 25th.

Noxin

Peter Brydon 07-10-14 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is from the series of articles in the MHS Bulletin by Ernest Martin entitled "Some Badges of the Middlesex Rifle Volunteers 1859-1908"

I presumed when it talks about the " badge" of the unit ( fig 104) it was referring to the shako plate.

P.B.

mooke07 08-10-14 09:58 AM

Many thanks for unravelling this one Noxin and Peter, the MHS Bulletins are a treasure trove of information, cheers Dean.

The Quartermaster 15-10-15 10:05 PM

Visit to Bank of England Museum

6 Attachment(s)
As I was in the museum today, I took some pictures of the badges of the Bank of England Volunteers, both during the Napoleonic period and post 1859.
Cheers
Mike

Noxin 16-10-15 06:41 AM

Self deleted

mooke07 20-10-15 11:15 AM

Great to see these Mike and really appreciate you sharing these, brings a nice closure to the loop, cheers Dean.