British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tiptaft RA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79858)

Holyboy 20-07-20 06:33 AM

Tiptaft RA

Just saw an RA cap badge with Tiptaft slider make £53 on Fleabay. Seems pricey to me?

Sonofacqms 20-07-20 08:27 AM

RA badge

I suppose if you collect Royal Artillery badges with named sliders and you have not got one with Tiptaft on it it's an OK price.

I paid £5.00 for a well over polished RAMC cap badge yesterday on a car boot sale, the slider was very loose but it had the name "Suttle.Cambridge" stamped on it and I collect RAMC badges and also Suttle named badges.

Rob

manchesters 20-07-20 08:31 AM

I collect RA cap badges and have a fine selection of Kings Crown Cap badges with name plates/named sliders.

I have never seen a Tiptaft stamped British RA Cap badge before - ever.

A rare badge.

regards

Holyboy 20-07-20 09:12 AM

Thanks gents I guess I’m not so aware of the Tiptaft rareness. I used to do CEF and RA and I had lots of Tiptaft CEF badges and I’m sure I had a non Canada and Canada Tiptaft RA badge.

mm1 20-07-20 11:42 AM

badge

Hi, do you have a link or item number for it please...

Cheers, Mark

manchesters 20-07-20 12:08 PM

This should be it:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Royal...53.m2749.l2649

regards

billy 20-07-20 05:03 PM

You would think there would be loads of these around as they went through thousands of badges!

manchesters 20-07-20 05:20 PM

Billy,

Not sure what you mean.
Could you expand a little please.

regards

Lancer 17 21-07-20 01:13 PM

G'day Holyboy,

Lucky that you don't collect Aussie Rising Sun badges as a Tiptaft marked one will sell for over 100 pounds and I have an Aussie dealers list with a Tiptaft Rising Sun at $250.

Regards

Phil.

KLR 21-07-20 04:00 PM

Billy is right, in April 1916 the WO ordered 200,000 RA cap badges !

manchesters 21-07-20 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 516927)
Billy is right, in April 1916 the WO ordered 200,000 RA cap badges !

Was that from Tiptaft Julian?

regards

Luke H 21-07-20 04:44 PM

I’m sure with contracts there were numerous awarded during the period Tiptaft manufactured them. Additionally there is the potential (or likelihood) for contracts awarded to be then subcontracted out to some degree further complicating the issue and diluting the order.

Lastly there’s the proportion of those made by a manufacturer v’s those marked by them.

I have seen a Tiptaft RA before, I think it was on one of Peter Taylor’s website’s and priced similarly to the auction fee paid above.

billy 21-07-20 05:15 PM

Hi Simon, just home from work and seen your post, what I was getting at was that there where a lot of Artillerymen WW1 so a lot of badges needed, the cost of manufacturing a Die and producing badges would require a minimium order in the region of thousands or it wouldn't be cost effective so would expect a lot to be around, of course they could have made them but stopped using maker marked sliders so this would narrow down amount of badges now with these marked sliders available and recognised as such, probably loads of Tiptaft badges about but thought of as Generic!

All the best billy

Holyboy 21-07-20 05:15 PM

I’ve had one before never really gave it much thought. Sold it with my RA collection a few years back. Don’t think I’d stump up that sort of money now.

KLR 21-07-20 05:21 PM

No Simon, it comes from a WO tender to B&P. It has marginal notes regarding competion with S&W
(details - and repository - in Bulletin MHS 2015)

It would be wonderful to find Pattern Books, Tenders etc from Tiptaft and others !

I have heard that there are many papers from S&W in a well known firm but not available to inspection. As usual commerce comes before research.