British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Royal Irish Fusiliers in a/a (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78260)

dubaiguy 13-04-20 01:25 PM

Royal Irish Fusiliers in a/a

1 Attachment(s)
I was pleased to be able to put these RIF in a/a together today, so I thought it might be helpful to share.
Cheers
Matk

leigh kitchen 13-04-20 01:28 PM

Nice, I think the only one of those I've got is a cap badge, a RA Hughes one.

bess55 13-04-20 03:33 PM

The one piece collars also come in all silver for pipers. I have just a single one unfortunately.
Will post a pic when I get 5 mins.

As of course do the two piece for No.1 dress.

cavalryman 13-04-20 03:44 PM

Royal Irish Fusiliers AA

Hi Bess, The cap badge also comes with lugs, worn on the pipers kilt of the Royal Irish Regiment. regards John

leigh kitchen 13-04-20 03:50 PM

Did the Royal Irish Rangers wear the anodised kilt badge?

cavalryman 13-04-20 04:03 PM

Royal Irish Fusiliers AA

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 506354)
Did the Royal Irish Rangers wear the anodised kilt badge?

Hi Leigh, Yes they did, the pipers wore the 3x AA lugged badges to the old regiments on the kilt.

1 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
2 Royal Ulster Rifles
3 Royal Irish Fusiliers
regards John

dubaiguy 13-04-20 04:21 PM

That's very interesting- thanks for sharing the information.

Leigh - the cap is also maker marked to RA Hughes.

Bess - I have a number of silver a/a collars to Scottish Regiments. The Royal Scots for sure and I think one to the KOSB. Would these also be pipers? I had thought they might.

Mark

Mike H 13-04-20 05:04 PM

Irish Fusiliers, the only identified maker is RA Hughes.
The grenade collars were worn by a company of the Royal Irish Rangers TA.

R.Scots and KOSB pipers both appear in silver anodised. I dont.recall seeing the large thistle Royal Scots in silver.

bess55 13-04-20 05:29 PM

As Mike says, definitely Royal Scots and KOSB come in silver collars for pipers.

I have a feeling I have the cap badge marked Firmin London as well as the Hughes made version. I'll check later for sure.

bess55 13-04-20 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavalryman (Post 506357)
Hi Leigh, Yes they did, the pipers wore the 3x AA lugged badges to the old regiments on the kilt.

1 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
2 Royal Ulster Rifles
3 Royal Irish Fusiliers
regards John

John, just for interests sake, there are 2 very distinctly different dies for the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers badge , lugged, which is used on the Royal Irish kilt. One with a bulbous grenade and another which is more flattened out.

All the very best chaps

Bess

cavalryman 14-04-20 10:17 AM

Royal Irish Fusiliers AA

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 506378)
John, just for interests sake, there are 2 very distinctly different dies for the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers badge , lugged, which is used on the Royal Irish kilt. One with a bulbous grenade and another which is more flattened out.

All the very best chaps

Bess

Hi Bess, Thanks for that, I have them both the flat one looks odd. regards John

bobanodised 15-04-20 05:58 PM

RIF

2 Attachment(s)
Apologies for delay in replying to this thread. Workers laying fiber optic in next road have knocked out my landline and Wi-Fi for over a week,
Attached my example of RIF kilt badge, hope this answers your query
Regards
Bob

bess55 17-04-20 09:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok chaps, did some photography finally. As suspected I did have a RIF by Firmin - marked 'Firmin London'.

Also the silver pipers No.2 dress collar

bess55 17-04-20 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mark, as well as the silver pipers RIF, I also found I had silver pipers collars for the Royal Inniskilling fusiliers:-

bess55 17-04-20 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John, just for completeness, my Royal Irish Regt, kilt badge set. Some odd colours in there. Unfinished and miss colours I suspect. Additionally, I appear to have been super efficient and noted the NSN's! Must have been a slow news day . . .

Regards all, look after yourselves. Strange times we are living through guys.

Bess