British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   WW2 RCEME Artificer Officers? Or NCOs in Officer BD jackets? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83140)

Sapper00 07-02-21 12:29 AM

WW2 RCEME Artificer Officers? Or NCOs in Officer BD jackets?

3 Attachment(s)
The internet has totally let me down and I can't even find a thread by Bill A or Ed to help me so I am forced to ask the question.

Did WW2 RCEME Officers or CFRs wear the Artificer badge by appointment? Or, were RCEME WOs allowed to wear modified BD collars (as offers did) in the post war period?

And, this is all based in the 1945ish CAOF era. Not like I'm asking anything odd....

I picked up a 1944 BD jacket with the officer open collar mod, nicely tailored even. It has wartime RCEME wool shoulder titles, 3rd Div CAOF patches and an Artificer badge, mid right sleeve(?) No rank and 4 years of service.
The ribbon bar is CVSM,BDM,39/45*,F/G*... No 39/45 WM. SO this firmly dates it as the summer of 1945in the Army Occupation Force.

But the collar and the artificer badge are messing my mind. Thoughts anyone? :confused:

Dan M 07-02-21 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapper00 (Post 537849)
Did WW2 RCEME Officers or CFRs wear the Artificer badge by appointment? Or, were RCEME WOs allowed to wear modified BD collars (as offers did) in the post war period?

It would not have been uncommon for a Canadian soldier of any rank to have modified a battledress blouse for a collared shirt and tie, particularly during the post-war period in Europe. It would have been saved for walking out purposes and not necessarily for parade wear.

The fact that yours is modified but without rank doesn't diminish its authenticity to me. I'm not the one to ask to authenticate your blouse but I don't see the modification and the badging as being a problem.

Cheers,
Dan.

Bill A 07-02-21 03:14 AM

Officers did not wear trade/qualification badges. Other ranks did wear the trade badges.

Sapper00 07-02-21 03:44 AM

Dan / Bill, thanks for the replies. I didn't think enlisted were allowed to have the modified open collar in 1945, thought it was just officers. And I was pretty sure officers did not wear qualification badges but wondered about this one because of the Artificer badge.

My understanding was that the Artificer badge as a rank (private) went out before WW2 and the Artificer insignia was worn as an appointment to NCOs.

Given that this jacket has no rank but 4 years service, it seems unlikely that a gun-plumber Private would risk the wrath of those above by wearing an unauthorized collar for ORs & an obsolete rank insignia.

Or that might be exactly what it is. It would explain 4 years service and still being a private. :D

Sapper00 07-02-21 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After much more phone surfing, I found this posted on the MP museum website: http://mpmuseum.org/provostbd.html

"Initially, all ranks were to wear the collar of the blouse closed, however it was not long before officers were permitted to wear the blouse collar open, showing a shirt collar and necktie. Blouse collars were often lined with battledress material or khaki cotton. Until late 1944, Other Ranks were not permitted to wear the collar open, even off duty."

and it did show a picture of a Staff Sgt's walking out dress tailored as such:
"Staff Sergeant's "Walking Out" Blouse, Canada, circa 1945. This is an example of a heavily tailored blouse. The lapels have been modified and lined with a fine serge material."

So now I am just wondering about the Artificer badge being sewn on instead of rank, and/or how many times did this guy do the hatless dance to stay a Pte after 4 years service with probably 3 of those overseas?

3t4 29-05-23 04:03 PM

8 Attachment(s)
This is a Uniform I got, maybe it could help.