British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KOYLI & OBLI cloth shoulder titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67865)

ravrick 13-05-18 01:27 PM

KOYLI & OBLI cloth shoulder titles

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I just picked these up this morning, any idea of the age? Are they WW2 period?

Cheers,
Rick

fougasse1940 13-05-18 08:33 PM

The OBLI wore OXF. & BUCKS white on red embroidered and printed or FIFTY-SECOND in red with yellow outline on black background embroidered shoulder titles during the war.

Rgds, Thomas

ravrick 14-05-18 06:15 PM

Hi, many thanks, after some research it looks like the OBLI title was worn from 1946-50 prior to the new 'Oxford & Bucks L I' style.
cheers,
Rick

Postwarden 14-05-18 08:23 PM

Interesting titles. You are correct with regard to the Ox & Bucks title.

The KOYLI did wear unofficial white on green titles in WW2 and also in the immediate post war period. The September 1946 Regimental Dress Regulations for the KOYLI specify ‘white on green shoulder titles…¼ inch below the shoulder seam’; a member of the Military Heraldry Society noted the KOYLI white on green titles being worn in North Midland District in December 1948.

Jon

Mike H 14-05-18 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravrick (Post 443549)
Hi, many thanks, after some research it looks like the OBLI title was worn from 1946-50 prior to the new 'Oxford & Bucks L I' style.
cheers,
Rick

Youre correct . The last OBLI cloth title was "Oxford & Bucks LI " . The one you show is the previous title to that one. If you have a look at www.lightbobs.com there is a set of dress regs for 1950 i think. That explains about the title.

The KOYLI one is similar ,the last issue being gold on rifle green . The one you show has lighter lettering ,slightly taller.

DougSA 12-06-19 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 443568)
Interesting titles. You are correct with regard to the Ox & Bucks title.

The KOYLI did wear unofficial white on green titles in WW2 and also in the immediate post war period. The September 1946 Regimental Dress Regulations for the KOYLI specify ‘white on green shoulder titles…¼ inch below the shoulder seam’; a member of the Military Heraldry Society noted the KOYLI white on green titles being worn in North Midland District in December 1948.

Jon

The thread and stitching on this KOYLI shoulder title look a bit different from the usual. Is this perhaps an earlier WW2 version?

Postwarden 12-06-19 03:20 PM

Looks like the version worn in 46th Division in Italy circa 1945.

Jon

DougSA 12-06-19 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 481028)
Looks like the version worn in 46th Division in Italy circa 1945.

Jon

Thanks John!