British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Ugly marksman printed badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42183)

Goat 10-10-14 11:45 AM

Ugly printed marksman badge

1 Attachment(s)
This is sewn to a 3rd Division WW2 BD blouse I picked up. It is so ugly it's neat, but I have never seen one like it. Are they common?

Mike Jackson 10-10-14 01:57 PM

As you say, ugly but interesting. Is it possible to see an image of the complete BD Blouse please? Mike

54Bty 10-10-14 02:58 PM

Standard Ordnance issue printed version.

Marc

Goat 10-10-14 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 280916)
As you say, ugly but interesting. Is it possible to see an image of the complete BD Blouse please? Mike

Will provide after work or tomorrow.

Goat 10-10-14 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 280923)
Standard Ordnance issue printed version.

Marc

Thanks Marc, any more background on these?

grumpy 10-10-14 04:01 PM

and there was me thinking this was about an ugly marksman, of whom there were plenty.

Goat 10-10-14 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more shots (poor, sorry) of the BD particulars.

Old Smelly 12-10-14 01:46 PM

I really like these printed trade patches, shading in the colours gives them a 3D effect. Is the 3rd Div printed too?
Lee

Goat 12-10-14 02:09 PM

Yes, it is printed. The one on the right sleeve has faded somewhat from poor display protocol by the previous owner, but it actually adds character to the jacket.

Postwarden 13-10-14 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost all the British Army's then current trade badges were produced as wartime printed versions, including the sniper's badge and the parachute wings.

In most cases they were ignored and replaced by embroidered badges bought from the shops in most military towns who seemed to be able to obtain what the Government could not. Printed trade badges on battle dress are not common.

Although introduced as a wartime expedient they do not seem to appear in print until the 1949 edition of the Catalogue of Clothing and Necessaries where they are listed as "Badges, Arm, Worsted or printed, SD".

If anyone has a copy of any amendments to the 1942 War Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries after No 3 dated 20th May 1944 they may appear in there. If anyone does have further amendments I'd be interested to obtain a copy.

Jon

NEMO 13-10-14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 281356)
Almost all the British Army's then current trade badges were produced as wartime printed versions, including the sniper's badge and the parachute wings.

Jon

Interesting point Jon , I have argued for years that there is a printed version of the parachute qualification wing but have been shouted down and laughed at many times over the years............he ho

Postwarden 13-10-14 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Proof herewith

Jon

NEMO 13-10-14 07:25 PM

Truly superb Jon !
sore a set about twenty odd years ago as a kid before I understood their importance - you should have held the picture back mate and had a bit of fun with the `nay sayers` there are many on here who would have bet a kidney these printed types dont exist

JerryBB 16-10-14 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 281367)
Proof herewith

Jon

Stunning and very rare I assume.

silverwash 31-07-15 07:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 281356)

In most cases they were ignored and replaced by embroidered badges bought from the shops in most military towns who seemed to be able to obtain what the Government could not. Printed trade badges on battle dress are not common.

Although introduced as a wartime expedient they do not seem to appear in print until the 1949 edition of the Catalogue of Clothing and Necessaries where they are listed as "Badges, Arm, Worsted or printed, SD".

If anyone has a copy of any amendments to the 1942 War Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries after No 3 dated 20th May 1944 they may appear in there. If anyone does have further amendments I'd be interested to obtain a copy.

Jon

all printed insignia except glider