British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Seeking Information on circa 1939 era 'Durham Special Constabulary' Badge[s] (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80800)

dpast32 16-09-20 04:30 PM

Seeking Information on circa 1939 era 'Durham Special Constabulary' Badge[s]

Hello Gentleman, I'm attempting to learn, or at least estimate the approximate age, date of use / issue of a particular U.K. WW2 Era 'Special Constabulary' Cap Badge, as would shave been worn by an 1939+ Member of the Durham Special Constabulary. [ And or any such Badge, even if it's not the Cap, or Hat type ] As I'm sure most here are aware, the subject not British Military Badges can be most confusing, sometimes even for the dedicated collectors. I personally haven't collected these items since my High School days, & that I'm afraid was man years ago ! I'm seeking to determine WHICH TYPE / STYLE of Badge would be proper / correct for wear by a 1939 / WW2 Special Constable on the Durham Constabulary ? I am aware that most Badges were produced in both Brass color, or Silver, 'Stay-Bright' [ or Stay-Brite ], but I'm not at all certain as to which type / color Badge would have been worn ? And, to confuse the issue even more, there's also the 2 methods of affixing the device, by button / tab, or by the slider type ? I between advised that the method of attaching pretty much depended upon the choice of the wearer ? I've also been advised that the Badge color may also have been dependent upon the quality of the Badge, but that can also be quite confusing too ? If anyone has any information which may assist me with this, I will DEEPLY APPRECIATE hearing from them. I will be interested in ANY relevant information, even if it appears somewhat trivial. THANK YOU

Best regards, Dom Pastore Jr. / dpast32@aol.com

Bill A 16-09-20 04:32 PM

Hello Dom, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

manchesters 16-09-20 06:17 PM

They wore a lapel badge of the typical WW2 type, chrome, Circular with a Kings Crown on top, about 30mm tall.

Around the outer blue enamel edge of the circle was the title, DURHAM COUNTY SPECIAL CONSTABULARY and with a solid chrome centre featuring a shield of the Durham coat of arms.

A half moon fastening to the rear.

regards

dpast32 16-09-20 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wish to Thank everyone for their kind replies, both the 'welcome', & the most appreciated information. Following are the 2 scans of this Badge I was looking at. Any comments or input will be very helpful. THANKS AGAIN

RE:
- White metal Cap Badge for the DURHAM SPECIAL CONSTABULARY. This badge has the "King's Crown", so was used prior to 1953 therefore obsolete.

MAKER'S MARK - No maker's mark on the reverse of the cap badge.

mike_vee 17-09-20 08:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Photo 1 - WW2 Badge as described in previous post.

Photo 2 - WW1 version for comparison.

ww1 enamel special police badge with appointment letter 1915.

altcar73 17-09-20 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpast32 (Post 522793)
I wish to Thank everyone for their kind replies, both the 'welcome', & the most appreciated information. Following are the 2 scans of this Badge I was looking at. Any comments or input will be very helpful. THANKS AGAIN

RE:
- White metal Cap Badge for the DURHAM SPECIAL CONSTABULARY. This badge has the "King's Crown", so was used prior to 1953 therefore obsolete.

MAKER'S MARK - No maker's mark on the reverse of the cap badge.

Not wishing to split hairs, but your photo depicts a chrome plated (not white metal) cap badge. Most forces stopped using white metal cap badges circa. 1935.

Dave.

dpast32 17-09-20 08:01 PM

THANK YOU Everyone, I appreciate it. And Dave, I heartily welcome any corrective comments, etc. That 'chromed' Badge was the example I was referring to. I wasn't sure if it would be correct for display purposes ? My guy appears in the 1939 Census as being on the Durham Force. He's also listed as an Retired Lieut., H.M. Forces, Border Regiment. So just to confirm, the chromed Badge would not be correct for circa 1939+ ? I look forward to any replies.

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

dpast32 27-09-20 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Gents, I'm pleased to report that I've managed to pick up the particular 1939+, WW2 Era Durham Special Constabulary badge I had inquired about. I usually don't like to 'add' items to my Medal Groups, however in this case, when this Group was originally sold back in the late 1970's such a badge was included with it. Somewhere along the line it became separated, so I honestly don't feel bad by adding this example, as I'm simply replacing it, so to speak. I think I may have paid a bit too much, but as I haven't observed all that many available, plus my wish to complete the Group eased my conscience as to what I paid. ( I think anyway ? My postage paid total was 34.77 GBP / which equates to $44.31 USD ) I've included both the obv. & rev. scans of my recent purchase, & although it does exhibit some enamel loss, I'm relatively pleased with it. If anyone notes any issues with it, & or the purchase price was way out of line, I would appreciate any & all comments. THANK YOU

Best, Dom P. / dpast32@aol.com