British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Civil Defence Rescue Dogs 1944 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73840)

Postwarden 22-05-19 02:47 PM

Civil Defence Rescue Dogs 1944

2 Attachment(s)
During the flying bomb campaign of 1944 the London Civil Defence Rescue Service employed rescue dogs to search for casualties in bombed buildings.

The photo shows the Royal Family inspecting the dogs and their handlers, the latter wearing a cloth arm badge with an Alsatian/German Shepherd's head in profile. It is believed that the handlers also wore a brass cap badge with the dog's head on it.

A long shot as the handlers were few but does anyone have either of these badges sitting in their unidentified box?

Hoot 22-05-19 10:30 PM

I notice that, on the sleeve patch of the handler on the left, the dog faces forward and the dog on that of the handler on the right faces to the rear. I presume that they must have been worn in pairs so someone has blundered.:)

Postwarden 23-05-19 09:06 AM

Well done. Have to admit I had missed that. Have never seen a shot of the other arm so maybe they were made in facing pairs but only worn on one arm.

Jon

2 Black Bands 24-05-19 07:25 AM

doh!...now I have to look out for a "DH"-marked helmet!! :-)

Great info (both) - thank you

Perhaps it's like the current "US Marching Flag"...the dog ALWAYS has to be looking forward?.. so there were two patches....classic Brit war-time excess......

Spitace41 08-01-21 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all. Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread but I have been looking into Civil Defence dogs and have come across a pic online of another angle of this event showing the cap badge (albeit blurred). Photo shows Mrs. Margaret Griffin, BEM and her dog Irma who was awarded the Dicken medal for helping to find people buried in the Blitz. Two other dogs owned by Mrs. Griffin were similarly employed (Psyche and Storm).

Hopefully this is of interest and if anyone knows of examples of these badges or related items for sale I would like to hear from you.

Home Guard 08-01-21 04:37 PM

Anything with puppies is excellent. Have to suspect that patch is not an easy one to come by!!! Also wonder what the title on the sleeve might be.

Terry

gb64 08-01-21 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 534621)
Anything with puppies is excellent. Have to suspect that patch is not an easy one to come by!!! Also wonder what the title on the sleeve might be.

Terry

The Title looks to my eye to read Animal Rescue , just a thought :o

Gerard

Chacal 08-01-21 06:16 PM

To my eyes it looks like "LIGHT RESCUE", would that make sense?

Graham

gb64 08-01-21 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 534632)

Graham

Hi Graham, good shout , had a better look now on me mobile and can see RESCUE for sure but not now animal as I first thought but like you can see LIGHT , well at least the L & T.

Gerard

Hoot 08-01-21 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 534632)

Graham

Shoulder titles worded "LIGHT RESCUE" did exist and I would say you've nailed it.

Home Guard 08-01-21 09:06 PM

We move closer!!! Any ideas about what the cap badge might be?

Terry

NEMO 08-01-21 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 479010)
During the flying bomb campaign of 1944 the London Civil Defence Rescue Service employed rescue dogs to search for casualties in bombed buildings.

The photo shows the Royal Family inspecting the dogs and their handlers, the latter wearing a cloth arm badge with an Alsatian/German Shepherd's head in profile. It is believed that the handlers also wore a brass cap badge with the dog's head on it.

A long shot as the handlers were few but does anyone have either of these badges sitting in their unidentified box?

oh this is brilliant , many thanks

NEMO 08-01-21 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 479040)
I notice that, on the sleeve patch of the handler on the left, the dog faces forward and the dog on that of the handler on the right faces to the rear. I presume that they must have been worn in pairs so someone has blundered.:)

Any chance the difference is ones for male and ones for female ? highly unlikely but just thinking out loud

NEMO 08-01-21 09:22 PM

I mean male and female handlers - not male and female dogs .... sorry , im drinking

NEMO 08-01-21 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 534630)
The Title looks to my eye to read Animal Rescue , just a thought :o

Gerard

I think i can see ` Rescue` too ?