British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Corps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Australian Concentration Camp Guards badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88133)

Jackhr 19-01-22 01:29 AM

WW1 - Australian Concentration Camp Guards badge

1 Attachment(s)
Australian Concentration Camp Guards badge from WW1
How hard to find a collar or hat badge ? and what value would they be now hat or collar ??

Jackhr 19-01-22 07:24 PM

So any badge collector out there have any in the collection to show ?

slick_mick 19-01-22 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From my badge photo archive.

Mick

badgecollector 19-01-22 09:34 PM

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...=Concentration

Jackhr 19-01-22 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 570494)
From my badge photo archive.

Mick

Mick is that set in private hands or a museum ?? What would you have to pay for a Hat or collar ?? As I have never seen any come up for sale ?

Rob

Jackhr 19-01-22 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 570497)

Thanks for the link BC very interesting read by the way do you still have your badge ?

slick_mick 19-01-22 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 570498)
Mick is that set in private hands or a museum ?? What would you have to pay for a Hat or collar ?? As I have never seen any come up for sale ?

Rob

Private collection. The badges are very rare these days. I've only ever seen a couple of hat badges for sale over the last 10-15 years.

Mick

trueblue 20-01-22 01:52 AM

The Badge set shown is incomplete....
There is also a Tie Badge.......
RR speak to your mate Duncan he has a Hat and Collar
GM

Jackhr 20-01-22 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblue (Post 570515)
GM

Gary they are part of his Sydney collection :( Maybe if I had a certain plaque I could get them :)

slick_mick 20-01-22 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblue (Post 570515)
GM

And much more rarer that either hat or collar badges I would say. I've never seen or even heard of the existence of this tie badge until you mentioned it.

trueblue 20-01-22 03:20 AM

Rob
Would want at least 2 or 3 sets of GCC badges for that certain plaque
The only full set of GCC badges sold.
Were in a Spink/Noble auction early 1990s
These were the badges of the CO of the GCC
GM

kingsley 20-01-22 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Never heard of a tie badge before and would be interested to see a scan.
Attached is an extract from the Trial Bay Museum's large hi def GCC group guards photo. Interesting to see the Long Lee Enfields and bandoliers.
The guys in the photo are young and fit, not over-age veterans, and I would want this particular guard on my side if it came to a brawl.
Two of the guards at the Cowra breakout in 1944 were elderly gentlemen in their 40s, beaten to death by the Japanese but managing to hide the Vickers MG breechblock. Unbelieveably, their wives did not get a pension because they were officially not on active service. They posthumously got the George Cross each.
The original owner of my collar badge was Linton Adlam, who joined the AIF after leaving the GCC. He went to France and survived the war. His son Frank Adlam was a great friend of my father, serving in the RAA in WW2 and later described as 'Australia's greatest gunner'. He was a noted authority on Martini rifles and on artillery in Australia. His scale model working miniature rifles and machine guns were works of art. He moved to South Australia in the 1950s and became the director of the artillery proof range in Port Wakefield. I last saw his sons in the 1950s (my generation) and possibly the family in Adelaide still has more of Linton's estate items.

slick_mick 20-01-22 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 570520)
Attached is an extract from the Trial Bay Museum's large hi def GCC group guards photo. Interesting to see the Long Lee Enfields and bandoliers.
The guys in the photo are young and fit, not over-age veterans, and I would want this particular guard on my side if it came to a brawl.
Two of the guards at the Cowra breakout in 1944 were elderly gentlemen in their 40s, beaten to death by the Japanese but managing to hide the Vickers MG breechblock. Unbelieveably, their wives did not get a pension because they were officially not on active service. They posthumously got the George Cross each.
The original owner of my collar badge was Linton Adlam, who joined the AIF after leaving the GCC. He went to France and survived the war. His son Frank Adlam was a great friend of my father, serving in the RAA in WW2 and later described as 'Australia's greatest gunner'. He was a noted authority on Martini rifles and on artillery in Australia. His scale model working miniature rifles and machine guns were works of art. He moved to South Australia in the 1950s and became the director of the artillery proof range in Port Wakefield. I last saw his sons in the 1950s (my generation) and possibly the family in Adelaide still has more of Linton's estate items.

That's a great picture! You don't see these badges being worn in pictures very often.

Mick

badgecollector 20-01-22 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 570501)
Thanks for the link BC very interesting read by the way do you still have your badge ?

yes, still have mine.
i know of another set in a private collection in NSW but like most never seen or heard of the tie pin
bc

Desert Rat 26-01-22 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 570520)

Outstanding photograph kingsley! Thank you for posting it.