British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Scots Greys A/A all silver finish (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72841)

yorkstone 19-03-19 09:14 PM

Royal Scots Greys A/A all silver finish

2 Attachment(s)
An anomaly I have a Royal Scots Greys A/A cap badge on Slider in all silver finish.
Was this worn by the Regiment or a mistrike as the scroll is not gold finished.
Smith & Wright Ltd makers mark.

Regards

Stephen

yorkstone 20-03-19 11:07 AM

Now then just found this in album of Mooke07.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=115667

The fact it was worn in white metal does this explain my A/A version

Regards

Stephen

hagwalther 21-03-19 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 472858)
Now then just found this in album of Mooke07.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=115667

The fact it was worn in white metal does this explain my A/A version

Regards

Stephen

Nope - they probably just forgot to colour it with gold. However, have you looked very closely at it and see if there is a difference in shade over the entire badge? Silver was always constant but gold very variable.

A few years ago a batch of all 'silver' RLC badges turned up. They were in fact just very (and I mean very, very, very) light gold.

Regards,

Chris

49lassiepen 21-03-19 09:13 AM

I have a all silver royal Sussex -unfinished badge
David

yorkstone 21-03-19 10:54 AM

Chris.
Thank you for your reply,I had hoped you would comment the badge was thougraly checked befor posting, as you say they forgot to add the Gold.

Is this a common occurrence or a rarity i would have thought incorrect badges would have been destroyed by quality controllers.

Did this issue come up in the research for your great book?

David any chance of an image of your Royal Sussex badge I am sure others would be interested

Regards

Stephen

3dg 21-03-19 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 472933)
Nope - they probably just forgot to colour it with gold. However, have you looked very closely at it and see if there is a difference in shade over the entire badge? Silver was always constant but gold very variable.

A few years ago a batch of all 'silver' RLC badges turned up. They were in fact just very (and I mean very, very, very) light gold.

Regards,

Chris

Has anyone got an example of the RLC badge you have discussed here please?

Cheers

yorkstone 21-03-19 11:31 AM

Chris
Just read page 121 of your book which explains issues with colour and wrong colour.

Very interesting the question still stands is this Scots Greys badge a common item or on the rare side

Regards

Stephen

49lassiepen 21-03-19 03:08 PM

I've seen a number of these unfinished badges to various regiments over the years Never bothered to collect them Purchased the R Sussex as I used to collect to his regiment along with the Wilts R .Sussex now sold except for O T C/C C F ,S/T and o'r and officer badges
David

Fatboy Ken 21-03-19 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Cheers

Here is an image of my RLC Silver AA badge, taken from my RLC album;

Attachment 203985

I can't see a hint of gold, ..... but ?

Mike H 21-03-19 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 472968)
I've seen a number of these unfinished badges to various regiments over the years Never bothered to collect them Purchased the R S as I used to collect to his regiment along with the Wilts R .Sussex now sold part from O T C/C C F ,S/T and o'r and officer badges
David

In theory every different anodised badge that has been produced could have at least one error version. Ive seen some of the very very rare examples that are unfinished .Be it colour missing,wrong colour or even the colours in the wrong place !!

hagwalther 21-03-19 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 472950)
Chris
Just read page 121 of your book which explains issues with colour and wrong colour.

Very interesting the question still stands is this Scots Greys badge a common item or on the rare side

Regards

Stephen

Only one I have ever seen!

Chris

hagwalther 21-03-19 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 472969)

Cheers

Attachment 203985

Hi Ken,

The shield looks silver but is the rest of the badge the same shade? Looks like a hint of gold there to me.

Think of the shield as 'white' and compare it to its seeded backing and the scroll around it...

Regards,

Chris

bess55 22-03-19 12:02 AM

Personally I would suggest best way to view miscoloured or error anodised badges is the same way that stamp collectors view miss-struck or printed off centre stamps (I'm sure you know what I mean). They are interesting oddities and have a place in some collections and others not.

Most - I emphasise most not ALL - non regular colouring are indeed manufacturing errors. I have loads of completely incorrect coloured badges. How about a gold coloured Royal Green Jackets cap badge? Yep, I've got one.

What you will find is there are recidivist manufacturers. London badge and button throw up loads of errors, less so Gaunts. I cant think of any other badge errors with an early pattern Smith & Wright slider as Stephens above, but I'm sure there will be some.

The silver RLC are as Chris describes above. The central shield is silver, however the remainder of the badge is VERY, VERY subtly different. In truth, so little that visually it looks all silver, but it isn't. If I recall they were made locally in haste for the inaugural parade . . . ?

Regards all

Bess

49lassiepen 22-03-19 09:03 PM

Posted unfinished Smith and wright R .Sussex. New album.
David

engr9266 23-03-19 09:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 472969)

Cheers

Attachment 203985

I have two.... slight variation between the two.