British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Early upper lugs RA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59637)

JerryBB 28-01-17 08:23 PM

Early upper lugs RA

3 Attachment(s)
Another one of the pick ups I made today, i think this type is early with two E-W upper lugs.

fougasse1940 28-01-17 09:04 PM

Nice, introduced in 1902 and replaced by the long slidered version in 1903.

Rgds, Thomas.

manchesters 28-01-17 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 392144)
Nice, introduced in 1902 and replaced by the long slidered version in 1903.

Rgds, Thomas.

Thomas,
Interested to see those dates quoted. I have never known of this on RA badges before.
Can you provide a reference please to confirm the information?

regards

fougasse1940 29-01-17 12:06 AM

Sorry, can´t supply you with references specific to the RA badge, other than general references referring to fittings for badges at the time. Introduced as: Pattern No. 9488; CB 0289 Royal Artillery: 5752/1902 : (to replace the grenade).

Rgds, Thomas.

Frank Kelley 29-01-17 07:35 AM

Very nice Jerry, a good example and the Edwardian badges are certainly getting much harder to find these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 392139)
Another one of the pick ups I made today, i think this type is early with two E-W upper lugs.

JerryBB 29-01-17 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 392180)
Very nice Jerry, a good example and the Edwardian badges are certainly getting much harder to find these days.

Thanks Frank. Not bad for 4 quid.

Frank Kelley 29-01-17 08:47 AM

Morning Jerry,
Very true, you can't expect to get much for £4 these days and certainly not a badge that is a hundred and ten years plus old.
It is worth looking at badges, even very common ones, I reckon that I would only ever see one in ten or so, that would be Edwardian examples and they are, just as a badge, so much nicer than the others.
Regards Frank

JerryBB 29-01-17 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Frank,

I have quite a few Arty badges but did not have one of these or the SA version I also picked up yesterday so grabbed them both along with some other badges, all for the same price per badge.

Nice to be able to do it. Out of the seven I bought only one (Earl of Chesters IY) was a duffer so a fairly good return for my outlay of £28.

manchesters 29-01-17 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 392167)
Sorry, can´t supply you with references specific to the RA badge, other than general references referring to fittings for badges at the time. Introduced as: Pattern No. 9488; CB 0289 Royal Artillery: 5752/1902 : (to replace the grenade).

Rgds, Thomas.

Thomas,

The general rule of loops, long slider, short slider progression didnt take place on Artillery badges as it did on many badges thats why I asked for references.

regards

GTB 29-01-17 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 392167)

Rgds, Thomas.

I don't follow. Precisely which grenade was replaced?

GTB

Frank Kelley 29-01-17 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Jerry,
I think it just pays to examine any badge you might chance upon, I don't get to fairs these days, nor do I buy many badges either, but, if I am on holiday or visiting somewhere and I see an antique fair or shop, I will normally pop in for a very quick look around.
I certainly don't really bother with RA cap badges, the attached are the last couple I found under the above sort of circumstances, but, what lovely things they are, from memory, I think I paid a couple of quid each, okay so not rare, notwithstanding, still nice.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 392192)
Frank,

I have quite a few Arty badges but did not have one of these or the SA version I also picked up yesterday so grabbed them both along with some other badges, all for the same price per badge.

Nice to be able to do it. Out of the seven I bought only one (Earl of Chesters IY) was a duffer so a fairly good return for my outlay of £28.

Frank Kelley 29-01-17 11:43 AM

Jerry,
In the wrong section here, but, if you like Artillery, get yourself a Transvaal Horse Artillery, they were an absolutely crack unit and did really well in GWSA.
Again, kind regards Frank.

fougasse1940 29-01-17 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 392199)
Thomas,

The general rule of loops, long slider, short slider progression didnt take place on Artillery badges as it did on many badges thats why I asked for references.

regards

OK, what did take place instead then? Surely the looped badges are considered early/Edwardian, suggesting later badges didn't come with loops?

Rgds, Thomas.

fougasse1940 29-01-17 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 392200)
I don't follow. Precisely which grenade was replaced?

GTB

Both the gilding metal universal grenade collar/shoulder badge worn by OR's on the field service cap 1890-1902 and the Grenadier Guards type grenade cap badge worn 1880-1902 on the puggaree of the FSH by both officers in gilt and OR's in gilding metal.

Rgds, Thomas.

GTB 29-01-17 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 392259)
Both the gilding metal universal grenade collar/shoulder badge worn by OR's on the field service cap 1890-1902 and the Grenadier Guards type grenade cap badge worn 1880-1902 on the puggaree of the FSH by both officers in gilt and OR's in gilding metal.

Rgds, Thomas.

Thanks for that. K&K misled me re no mention of the GG/RMA type grenade badge in gilding metal for regular Artillery.

GTB