British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Forgotten Memories (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75908)

Semloh Retlaw 09-11-19 02:33 PM

Forgotten Memories

I was reminded yesterday by a strange email, that I was a member of this site, after reading that email regarding the Accrington Pals. I tried to find this web site to no avail, the emailer has sent me this address of which I had no memory. Sorry if I have not answered any posts I have been seriously ill for some time, and at my age late 80's it can take a while to recover.
Thank you

manchesters 09-11-19 04:24 PM

Welcome Back:)

Alex Rice 09-11-19 04:31 PM

Hi Walter, welcome back!
I, for one, remember you! :D
Cheers,
Alex

Bill A 09-11-19 05:35 PM

Good to see you posting again Walter.

Luke H 10-11-19 01:04 PM

Welcome back!

Hi Walter,
I’m the strange emailer :) . This was the thread, post #5 https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=8195
Very glad to see you back posting on here and good to know you’re feeling better. Whenever you get a chance I’d love to see the back please. I’m betting on it having a Gaunt plate behind the crown and being on loops.
Cheers,
Luke

dumdum 11-11-19 01:39 AM

Hi Walter

Pleased to see that you have made a return to the Forum. Hope that you are getting over your health problem. What is your field of interest, by the way?

I'm guessing that the Accrington Pals must feature in some way. Have you seen the relatively common silver "tribute medal" for Accrington that sometimes turns up? There is a space for them to be named but the several examples I've seen never are.

I can post a photo if you'd like me to.

Semloh Retlaw 11-11-19 09:22 PM

Tribute Medal

Thats a new one on me.
As for my health at 88 years theres no hope of any improvement.
I', still pushing blankets back of a morning and not scratin inside of a coffin lid,
I've had words wi the grim reaper and told him when he see's his mate in Hades, to get his throne re-upholstered I'm taking over

and there'll be all hell to pay, got a few jobs lined up for my enemies in life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 491978)
Hi Walter

Pleased to see that you have made a return to the Forum. Hope that you are getting over your health problem. What is your field of interest, by the way?

I'm guessing that the Accrington Pals must feature in some way. Have you seen the relatively common silver "tribute medal" for Accrington that sometimes turns up? There is a space for them to be named but the several examples I've seen never are.

I can post a photo if you'd like me to.

dumdum 12-11-19 03:05 AM

Hi Walter

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry about what you've told me. I'll dig out my Accrington medal and photograph it.

From memory it has two men crouched aiming rifles and may have a mining pithead gantry(?) in the background. Would that make sense?

It's only marked "STERLING" or "SILVER" and no hallmark. A blank panel for the recipient's name but I've never seen one with a name.

dumdum 13-11-19 02:42 AM

Hello Walter

I found my tribute medal last night ( a rare success to actually find what you are looking for!). It is actually Ashington. Such a shame as I would have been very pleased to trade it for something.

Do I get "brownie points" for the fact that it begins with an "A" and has an "ington" in it?

Semloh Retlaw 22-11-19 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 492141)
Hello Walter

I found my tribute medal last night ( a rare success to actually find what you are looking for!). It is actually Ashington. Such a shame as I would have been very pleased to trade it for something.

Do I get "brownie points" for the fact that it begins with an "A" and has an "ington" in it?

No you have to stay in and write 400 times I am a plonker, then its no tea and straight to bed, an no toffee's for a week.

leigh kitchen 22-11-19 09:33 PM

Only 400 lines? That's not fair, that's getting off easy - last time I got lines it was 500 ("I must not procrastinate"), about the same time I was threatened with the cane for having my hair too long.

dumdum 02-12-19 02:06 AM

Oh dear, I does so like me toffees.......