British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Green Howard's contemporary set (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61060)

mooke07 04-04-17 08:44 PM

Green Howard's contemporary set

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

My brother picked these up for me locally and I thought they may be of some interest to members. Well that is not completely true Longdog (aka Pat) put me up to it!

They comprise a lugged, die struck, WM cap badge to the Green Howard's (Alexandra, Princess of Wale's Own Yorkshire Regiment) which is a King's crown variant produced in haste in WW2 and noted in Gaylor and Churchill. It came with a pair of WM collar badges that match Pattern number 14399 sealed 27th July 1950 (Churchill 561), one with a green cloth backing. The set also has a pair of presumably theatre-cast, GM Green Howard's two tier, shoulder titles (Westlake 925) introduced in 1921 and worn until the 1960s.

A nice set that I have every reason to believe were worn together.

The Green Howard's served in the Malayan conflict 1949-52 and then through to the 1980s it served in Afghanistan, Suez, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Libya, Belize, Berlin and Northern Ireland.

Cheers Dean

badjez 04-04-17 10:51 PM

Green Howards

Dean,

Any chance of a close-up of the crown on the cap badge please? From the current angle it looks like it is the standard 'coronet' without a central vertical bar, in which case it is the standard issue pattern (K&K616).
Maybe I just need new specs...

Stephen.

Hoot 04-04-17 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 400188)
Dean,

Any chance of a close-up of the crown on the cap badge please? From the current angle it looks like it is the standard 'coronet' without a central vertical bar, in which case it is the standard issue pattern (K&K616).
Maybe I just need new specs...

Stephen.

I agree.

wardog 04-04-17 11:51 PM

I think a regular battalion badge should be pre 1906 with lugs/loops. Regards, Paul.

mooke07 05-04-17 12:00 AM

Apologies I compared it to the wrong badge in my collection, it is the regular Coronet pattern (K&K 616) schoolboy error sorry. Not all lugged badges are pre-1906 I would have thought. Cheers Dean

wardog 05-04-17 12:13 AM

That's true. It is though highly likely to be an early badge. Regards, Paul. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ight=1906+lugs

FMT600 05-04-17 02:59 AM

Dean,

The shoulder titles are cast copies and as you say possibly theater made. This pattern of title was worn until 2006, issued in anodised aluminium until they name changed and re-badged to 2 York's.

Its an early cap badge, the collars are post WW2 and the titles are of some indiscriminate date, possibly WW2 but probably later as the Green Howards tended to wear cloth titles in both the Middle and Far East during that war.

As to wherever they were worn together I don't know, from the lack of polish wear if they were worn they would not have been worn for long.

A nice cap badge and an interesting set of titles, thanks for showing, incidentally the collars were also worn until 2006, as per the titles issued in anodised aluminium.

FMT600

mooke07 05-04-17 07:10 AM

Thanks very much FMT,

I agree with all your comments and observations, cheers Dean.

bess55 05-04-17 07:25 AM

The above pattern of collar was made in anodised aluminium in 1964 (found with 2 lugs and a single lug).

However, appearing to be unpopular, a further pattern was made and introduced shortly after. This is a slimmer, narrower version of the general design shown above and matched more closely the image of the last pattern Green Howards anodised aluminium cap badge, being worn until the regiment amalgamated in 2006.

Nice set Dean

Regards all

Bess

mooke07 05-04-17 07:53 AM

Thanks Bess,

All good input. Any idea on the backing cloth behind the collar as denoting a particular battalion, cheers Dean.

bess55 05-04-17 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 400215)
Thanks Bess,

All good input. Any idea on the backing cloth behind the collar as denoting a particular battalion, cheers Dean.

Cant help you there mate - I've got several versions of the anodised collars. Some came with the rectangle rifle green felt backing. One set came with the same backing but the top was pointed: presumably to mirror the shape of the crown tip.

regards all

Bess

FMT600 05-04-17 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 400273)
Cant help you there mate - I've got several versions of the anodised collars. Some came with the rectangle rifle green felt backing. One set came with the same backing but the top was pointed: presumably to mirror the shape of the crown tip.

regards all

Bess

Green was the Regimental colour and not Battalion related. Green was used to back Cap and collar badges along with rank and trade badges.

FMT600

mooke07 05-04-17 07:49 PM

Thanks FMT much appreciated.