British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ebay problem (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91671)

Sonofacqms 21-11-22 04:52 PM

ebay problem

Like many collectors I have been buying on ebay for the last 17-18 years or so and have not really had anything to complain about until now . . !

I was putting a bid on a small lot of badges when up came a white screen with the words "Bad Request" and a message below saying get in touch with your administrator plus a code of some twenty or so characters.

Not being an IT expert I have been trying my best to sort this problem out, but ebay when phoned only tell you to look online by a recorded message.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so did they sort it out and how?

Rob

Chacal 21-11-22 04:56 PM

Hi Rob

I had some issues accessing eBay a few months ago, I found that turning off my McAfee VPN allowed me to get on eBay, so perhaps try that (if you use a VPN)? I haven't had any problems since, touch wood.

Graham

JerryBB 21-11-22 05:00 PM

Rob, not a problem I have had so far, though so many apps seem to have glitches, even big firms.

Sonofacqms 21-11-22 05:16 PM

ebay problem

I bought the very small motto on ebay which I put on the forum last week and had not left feedback when this occurred, so when over my Daughters yesterday I left feedback using her phone which was fine.

This seems to be a problem with my computer rather than ebay as I can still access it through other devices. I use Norton and have had no problems so far with this system.

Thanks for your suggestions, maybe turning off Norton may help.

Rob

zorgon 22-11-22 01:44 AM

Hi Rob:
It may not be an eBay issue at all. Frustrating to loose out like that at the last second. If your computer has been doing automatic upgrades or if you have installed new versions of any software, that may be where the problem has arisen. As we try to increase system security, some things break. The last few days, I have been unable to reach an email address and get the error, “550 relay not permitted”. Apparently it is a configuration issue between my server and mail program and the security which has set up by the recipient. For me, the fix is multi-step and too complicated for my simple mind.

What I can suggest for you is shut your system down and let it reboot, installing the latest versions of software where it deems this is necessary. You may even have to do this twice. Certainly the Operating System and your browser would be suspect in this issue I think.

Just a guess. Good luck

Sonofacqms 22-11-22 09:52 AM

Ebay issues

Zorgon, thanks for the thoughts on my problem, I have come to the conclusion that like me the computer is old, I am not an IT genius, but I know a man who is!

I have not downloaded any new software or any other thing, so I think it's a fault which I can hopefully get over

Rob

mjw 22-11-22 10:41 AM

Hello Rob.

Could try: Clear History and Website Data from your browser. Then restart computer.

Will mean you have to sign in again to websites with passwords etc.
It’s what I do on a regular basis.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

mike_vee 22-11-22 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 591636)
I have come to the conclusion that like me the computer is old, I am not an IT genius

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw (Post 591640)
Hello Rob.

Could try: Clear History and Website Data from your browser. Then restart computer.

Will mean you have to sign in again to websites with passwords etc.
It’s what I do on a regular basis.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

I have an old laptop still running Windows 10 and have found that some of their 'automatic' updates can cause problems.

I clear history/cache at least once a week and also run a virus scan , then (if everything is working OK) I create a 'restore point' so that if I have problems in the future I can go back to good setting.

Sonofacqms 22-11-22 01:37 PM

computer problem

Thanks chaps for your ideas, our computer runs vista which is old as you probably know.

I will give it a try and delete old material.

Rob