British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   South Staffordshire KC A/A (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56463)

chris cunniffe 06-09-16 09:35 AM

South Staffordshire KC A/A

Hi I know C Marsh shows one in his book I have never seen one or know of one for sale please can some one post a picture of this badge and tell me where I can buy one many thanks chris

dubaiguy 06-09-16 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Chris
I'm looking forward to a response as I too have it on my wants list, but it's only there because I have Chris Marsh's book.

Durrants Auctioneers sold a board of badges last Friday which they'd listed as 'A collection of Staybrite badges'. I attach their photo of the lot for you to see. They do all appear to be a/a, but hard to verify from a photo. Perhaps a member placed the winning bid and can show the S. Staffs KC badge when they take delivery.
Mark

Alan O 06-09-16 12:11 PM

Odds on it's Bham mint and not aluminium. - self correction: Bham mint were q/c so it can't be one of those.

Mike H 06-09-16 06:33 PM

Theres at 3 badges amongst that lot that are certainly not anodised badges. That's just looking at the image.

A word of caution when people list badges as "staybrite" etc. 5/6th Staffords might have a shiny bright but as we know its not made from aluminium but something far far heavier.

William 06-09-16 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris cunniffe (Post 374280)
Hi I know C Marsh shows one in his book I have never seen one or know of one for sale please can some one post a picture of this badge and tell me where I can buy one many thanks chris

As Chris's book shows, it seems clear that at least one Forum member has one. Can we therefore assume there must be at least a small number more out there?

Best regards to all.

W

hagwalther 06-09-16 11:17 PM

Hi Guys,

South Staffordshire with Tudor Crown is rare - make no doubt about it.

The one in my book, if I remember, has a blank slider probably by Marples and Beasley. I'm away from a copy of my book and notes but the images of it should be labeled as such if someone can confirm.

The badge was sent to me by a forum member via international courier and sent back the same. I think I paid all up 60GBP just to get my hands on it for the book and send it back!

Regards,

Chris

dubaiguy 07-09-16 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 374358)
Theres at 3 badges amongst that lot that are certainly not anodised badges. That's just looking at the image.

A word of caution when people list badges as "staybrite" etc. 5/6th Staffords might have a shiny bright but as we know its not made from aluminium but something far far heavier.

I agree 100% especially when presented on a board, coupled with a fuzzy auctioneers photograph. I often wonder if some auctioneers do it on purpose just to obfuscate. I've had a number of improved metal badges in the past that were sold in lots of what were described as a/a or staybrite.

Out of interest Mike and ignoring the S. Staffs what were the 3 you identified as not a/a. The Green Howards for sure.
Cheers
Mark

fougasse1940 07-09-16 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 374382)
The one in my book, if I remember, has a blank slider probably by Marples and Beasley. I'm away from a copy of my book and notes but the images of it should be labeled as such if someone can confirm.

AAD92 The South Staffordshire Regiment [Tudor] is shown with a J.R GAUNT LONDON marked slider.

Rgds, Thomas.

Mike H 07-09-16 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 374388)
I agree 100% especially when presented on a board, coupled with a fuzzy auctioneers photograph. I often wonder if some auctioneers do it on purpose just to obfuscate. I've had a number of improved metal badges in the past that were sold in lots of what were described as a/a or staybrite.

Out of interest Mike and ignoring the S. Staffs what were the 3 you identified as not a/a. The Green Howards for sure.

Cheers
Mark

The Green Howards
The Gurkha Engineeŕs. The bi metal ones ,the gold has a yellowy colour to it.
The 7th Gurkha looks dull ,even in the very bright light.

54Bty 07-09-16 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 374295)
Durrants Auctioneers sold a board of badges last Friday which they'd listed as 'A collection of Staybrite badges'. I attach their photo of the lot for you to see.Mark

If the description is as posted "A collection of Staybrite badges", then that is what they are "Staybright", the posted description does not mention anodised aluminium. There are various manufactured badges that are "Staybright" but they are not anodised aluminium.

Marc

dubaiguy 08-09-16 01:22 PM

That's a very interesting comment Marc. I think perhaps I wouldn't be alone in assuming (mistakenly) that the word Staybrite was synonymous with a/a. I probably heard the word for the first time in the early 70's when I was issued one and because of the spelling (brite instead of bright) assumed it was some 'trade name' or common parlance for the a/a badge I was given. My understanding from your post then is that any badge that does not need polishing, such as modern post a/a issue, could be deemed Staybrite and not that they just stay bright. I don't want to sound like a pedantic old duffer - but it's certainly news to me and challenges my assumptions.

Appreciated the comment.
Mark