British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arab Nations (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Saudi helmet decal (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84695)

Tinhat 03-05-21 02:24 PM

Saudi helmet decal

2 Attachment(s)
I have this Saudi marked British made helmet in my collection, does anyone know if the badge is generic Saudi army or for a specific unit?

Thanks,
Steve.

Tweed 03-05-21 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice helmet there Steve,
I was going to post this up for ID I think it is a board from Saudi a souvenir?
Kind regards Chay

Tweed 03-05-21 09:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure if it’s Saudi Air Force ? I think we need someone who can read it ?

Tinhat 04-05-21 05:22 AM

Thanks Chay, I think it's two letters, one inside the other but don't know what they mean.

mike_vee 04-05-21 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinhat (Post 548008)
Thanks Chay, I think it's two letters, one inside the other but don't know what they mean.

Looks like a stylised version of jiim/jeem , the fifth letter of the Arabic alphabet.

It is also the third letter in traditional abjad order, which is used in place of numerals for list numbering .

So possibly it is used to indicate a regiment or a rank (number 3 or third in command)?

Have seen photos of troops , during siege of Grand Mosque (1979) , wearing 'similar' helmets. Main group involved was SANG (Saudi Arabian National Guard) so possibly something to do with them. Its duties include protecting the House of Saud, guarding against military coups, guarding strategic facilities and resources, and providing security for the cities of Mecca and Medina.

Quote:

The national guard is under the administrative control of the Ministry of the National Guard, instead of the Ministry of Defence. It differs from the regular Saudi army in being forged out of tribal elements loyal to the House of Saud and tasked with protecting the royal family from internal dangers such as a coup d'état.

Tinhat 04-05-21 03:09 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond Mike.
I've also found photos of the siege of the Grand Mosque when I got the helmet and believe they are the same helmets. Based on that I searched SANG badges but didn't come up with anything similar, so rank or unit numbering makes more sense.

My uneducated eye had it as a large 'Haa' with a small 'Waaw' in the middle so I appreciate the Arabic lesson.

Steve.

mike_vee 04-05-21 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinhat (Post 548102)
Based on that I searched SANG badges but didn't come up with anything similar, so rank or unit numbering makes more sense.

My thought was that as they were all 'kitted up" (full face respirators) some form of marking on the helmet would identify officers etc.

In normal uniform SANG can easily be identified by the traditional red-checkered keffiyeh Arab headdress they wear.