British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   India Parachute Regiment Cap Badge ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77807)

marinus 17-03-20 06:30 PM

India Parachute Regiment Cap Badge ?

2 Attachment(s)
Good evening gents,

I know that the attached pictures are not that good but still I like to read your opinions on this "silver India Parachute Regiment cap badge".

Attachment 220549Attachment 220548

Regards from The Netherlands,

Marinus

Frank Kelley 18-03-20 09:33 AM

Just from the photographs, I would have thought that it is another example of the very many spurious badges that sadly now exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinus (Post 503101)
Good evening gents,

I know that the attached pictures are not that good but still I like to read your opinions on this "silver India Parachute Regiment cap badge".

Attachment 220549Attachment 220548

Regards from The Netherlands,

Marinus

Luc 18-03-20 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say this is a die-struck fake that has it's hollow back filled with cheap metal to give it a cast appearance. Attached is an example of an original Indian made badge.

marinus 18-03-20 03:53 PM

India Parachute Regiment Cap Badge

Luc, Frank,

Thank you very much for your opinions.
I won't bid on this one then.

Regards,

Marinus

Frank Kelley 18-03-20 08:18 PM

Interestingly, it has that mark to it's reverse, I would have thought the badge was die cast, if so, the mark, if embossed, would have been stamped into the die.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 503155)
I would say this is a die-struck fake that has it's hollow back filled with cheap metal to give it a cast appearance. Attached is an example of an original Indian made badge.

Luc 18-03-20 08:47 PM

Frank, do you mean the "stg silver" stamped to the rear? It is a most unusual mark and I do not recall seeing it before.

The crack that is seen next to the crown is not something that I have seen on a British made silver badge. It is more typical for a cast badge using a green sand mould normally associated with Middle East or Indian production.

marinus 22-03-20 01:04 PM

There's an identical badge in the spartan shop.

manchesters 22-03-20 01:12 PM

Marinus,

I am intrigued to know why you have a Manchester Grammar School lapel badge as your avatar?

Are you an ex pupil?

regards

marinus 22-03-20 01:34 PM

Manchester Grammar School lapel badge

2 Attachment(s)
Simon,

I'm not an ex pupil but I do like the motto of the school.
It's hallmarked Birmingham 1908 and Rod Flood has one in his shop with the same number stamped.
That one is hallmarked 1942 though.

Kind regards and keep safe,

Marinus

Attachment 220839Attachment 220838

manchesters 22-03-20 01:38 PM

Marinus,

Thanks for that, I used to have one exactly the same, I think I ascertained they were prefects badges and not related to the OTC which was my interest so i sold it on.

A lovely little badge and very well made.

regards

marinus 22-03-20 01:52 PM

Manchester Grammar School lapel badge

Simon,

Thank you for your information.
I've send an email to the MGS for information and will share their response here when they reply.

Regards,

Marinus

silverwash 23-03-20 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
an Aligarh example, the acquisition of a RAF chap involved with Indian airborne forces

marinus 23-03-20 04:02 PM

Aligarh Indian Parachute Regiment badge

That's a stunner, Silverwash!
Thank you for sharing.

Kind regards,
Marinus

Luc 27-03-20 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwash (Post 503771)
an Aligarh example

And what a beautiful example it is! I would love to add one to my collection.