British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry and Armoured Units (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Armoured Carrier Regt (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25415)

rugby 18-06-12 06:06 AM

Armoured Carrier Regt

Hi guys,
How about this one? I know this Regt didn't exist that long, but what about the titles been worn by their members? I thought I saw a thread about it somewhere, but I can't find it...

Kind regards,
Martijn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1st-Canadian...#ht_515wt_1114

Dwayne H 18-06-12 11:58 AM

too expensive

..its a legit title. His asking prices are insane ....as are his other listings....but if the question is whether or not it is a legit title....it is good.

Dwayne

Bill A 18-06-12 12:50 PM

Agree with Dwayne. It is a good example of the bevo type weave used on their first type of titles. These are very hard to find, but as Dwayne says, I don't know if they are worth the price for which he has listed them.

rugby 18-06-12 01:31 PM

Thanks guys! I totally agree with you about the price, pretty high... As well as his other listings, crazy.

capbadge 20-06-12 01:06 AM

I think I used to know the seller in New West Minster B.C., he had a coin/stamp/army shop and eventually moved it to a different part of Vancouver. He always managed to find something interesting anyway.

Tanker Mike 20-06-12 09:56 PM

The real deal

1 Attachment(s)
The real thing..

Bill A 20-06-12 10:49 PM

Hi Mike, The tunic appears to have the melton pattern shoulder titles? Any provenance to the tunic?

WJ Miller 21-06-12 12:17 AM

?No Bill, I'm pretty sure that is the Bevo pattern on the tunic in Mike's photo? The photo is a tad out of focus.

However, mentioning the "melton" pattern, I just got a photo this week from the son of another veteran that depicts the melton pattern in wear, dated September 1945. I'm trying to get a larger scan/print of the photo in the coming weeks.

Bill A 21-06-12 01:19 AM

Hi, It is out of focus, and it looks melton to me? A better image would clarify.

WJ Miller 21-06-12 02:33 AM

The G is the key...

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill, I have attached a comparison image of Mike's image, and clear examples of the Bevo and melton titles.

For me, what gives it away, (in focus or not) is the "G" in REGT. The G is particularly thin (as is the "C" in CARRIER) compared to the melton variety. ALL the "Bevo" style lettering is tall and thin but those particularly stand out. Also the middle bar in the "E"'s is higher up compared to the Melton type. On the bevo type the word CANADA is much closer to the bottom border.

:) I look at this stuff nearly every day... most of it in blurry photographs so ID's are now second nature...

Far more intriguing in Mike's photo is the lanyard...

WJ Miller 21-06-12 02:46 AM

Anniversary!

1 Attachment(s)
BTW. Coincidentally, today marks the 67th Anniversary of the disbandment of the 1CACR.
:o

Tanker Mike 21-06-12 02:47 PM

The title is the bevo style, the tunic belongs to a friend.

grey_green_acorn 21-06-12 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker Mike (Post 171987)
The title is the bevo style, the tunic belongs to a friend.

Is it Bevo (usually associated with German insignia) or Brabant a style of Flemish weaving used for British (& Canadian?) cloth badges after the Allied liberation of the Low Countries in World War 2. Named after the province of Brabant in Belgium.

Badges of this make can be dated from the closing stages of World War 2 to the early days of the post-war occupation of Europe.

Tim

Mike Jackson 21-06-12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 171990)
Is it Bevo (usually associated with German insignia) or Brabant a style of Flemish weaving used for British (& Canadian?) cloth badges after the Allied liberation of the Low Countries in World War 2. Named after the province of Brabant in Belgium.

Badges of this make can be dated from the closing stages of World War 2 to the early days of the post-war occupation of Europe.

Tim

The source of the name BeVo:

The Be is the contraction of beteiligung (partnership) and the Vo is the contraction of Vorsteher which is the merging of two weaving companies Lucas Vorsteher and Ewald Vorsteher from the German city of Wuppertal-Barmen

Michael Reintjes 21-06-12 06:40 PM

wool backing.

Bill A I think it is the bevo title sewn on to a wool backing. I've had a few over the years that were still attached to the black wool backing.This was also a common practice with the 1st Hussars who also liked to attach their canvas titles to black wool backings.