British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

billy 25-10-20 02:48 PM

Hi Mike yes they would and all in a New unused condition, and being RBL money going where it ought!

If anyone is interested In them P.M. me, I can pop in and get them through the week should still be there, can imagine it is donations rather than a set price?

All the best billy

Mike_2817 25-10-20 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have carded sets for WWI 1914-1918 (5 Pins) and 2011 to 2013 plus a plain pin (4 Pins) plus most commemorative pins as singles or sets on display during 'poppy events' and normally get good donations for them. some pins are rarer than others.

I normally expect at least £2 per pin

Sample cards below

mike_vee 14-11-20 01:36 PM

Thank You 1918-2018

1 Attachment(s)
Finally managed to get hold of the 'plain' version (another one off the wanted list) . :D

Don't know if this was a limited/trial version as the more common RBL and RBLS ones have writing around edge. :confused:

mike_vee 08-12-20 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another 'job lot' and a couple more off the wanted list.

Hadn't seen the smaller PoppyHead figures before but they are nice additions to the collection. Don't know if the X1-X1-X1(11-11-11) poppy was a 'branch' issue or unofficial.

PS. Only problem with job lots is that I end up with a lot of 'doubles' of the most common pins.

mike_vee 08-12-20 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple from 'the islands' !

Shiny 09-12-20 12:59 PM

It looks like you have had a few good results there Mike.

I don't tend to collect the unofficial ones (with a few exceptions) but I like the dambusters one you have.

I'm glad you found the thank you badge at last as well, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

Michael

mike_vee 09-12-20 01:31 PM

A lot of the 'unofficial' pins are sold by various branches , especially the RBL Riders , and are officially authorised and don't contravene copyright rules. ;)

PS I've got another badge coming which I'm sure you'll want to add to your wanted list ! :D

Frank Kelley 14-12-20 05:30 PM

There is, as I write this, another seller who offers a Somme 100 poppy in it's original condition, the certificate dedicated to 9361 Serjeant J L Gilliland, Devonshire Regiment, available for £999.99 buy it now.:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 481009)
Perhaps I should become an enterprising seller :D , someone is offering 4 'provenance metal' pins :
1. Flanders Fields
2. Somme 100
3. Passchendaele 100
4. Battle of Britain 75th anniversary (4th in set is actually Centenary 'Thank You')

And they are only asking for £799.00 ! :eek:

I bought all of mine directly from RBL and would never sell them for profit

mike_vee 15-12-20 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 532140)
There is, as I write this, another seller who offers a Somme 100 poppy in it's original condition, the certificate dedicated to 9361 Serjeant J L Gilliland, Devonshire Regiment, available for £999.99 buy it now.:eek:

And what is the main 'key word' that the seller didn't put in the description ....

..... POPPY ! ;)

Charliedog012012 15-12-20 04:55 PM

I confess that having stood at the point where the Devonshire’s went over the top, it is humbling to realise the impossible task that they faced and the courage they showed. It is a special place. To see someone selling the Somme Commemorative 100 Poppy Pin at a price which can only be described as utter sheer greed on eBay sickens me to the pit of my stomach.....and no doubt not a penny will be offered to the RBL. Sorry, rant over.

mike_vee 21-12-20 09:48 AM

I couple of Christmas "bargains" on line ! :eek:

2006 Poppy pin , looks genuine and is correct size 12mm - Buy it now £195.00.

2007 Large Poppy pin , complete rubbish and wrong size 30mm x 20mm - Buy it now £99.99 . Because I'd looked at the listing I got a 'seller offer' of a 5% discount !

The funny thing is that I picked up 2 genuine 2007 pins a few weeks ago in a reasonably cheap job lot ! :D

Frank Kelley 22-12-20 09:32 AM

It is annoying that someone could be so mercenary and opportunistic, but, the RBL did get their money when the poppy was originally sold and I suppose they must have been pleased that the edition did so well when it was introduced by them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 (Post 532219)
I confess that having stood at the point where the Devonshire’s went over the top, it is humbling to realise the impossible task that they faced and the courage they showed. It is a special place. To see someone selling the Somme Commemorative 100 Poppy Pin at a price which can only be described as utter sheer greed on eBay sickens me to the pit of my stomach.....and no doubt not a penny will be offered to the RBL. Sorry, rant over.

mike_vee 22-12-20 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 532846)
It is annoying that someone could be so mercenary and opportunistic, but, the RBL did get their money when the poppy was originally sold and I suppose they must have been pleased that the edition did so well when it was introduced by them.

I can't see that badge ever selling at the price they are asking.

Another Somme 100 , this time a private in the GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT , 'buy it now price' £320.00.

Unless these badges were 'named' to a direct relative I can't understand why people would pay so much ......... for a piece of card ! :confused:

Shiny 08-01-21 02:04 PM

Is it just me or do these not quite look right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284096786724

Don't say they are faking 2013 badges now.

Michael

mike_vee 08-01-21 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Michael , sometimes it is difficult to judge photos because of angle/light .

The ones shown are different from those the Poppy sellers sold in 2013 but they look similar to the ones available directly from Poppy Shop.

The main difference is the position of the leaf , those sold by Poppy Sellers had (what I term) a "low" 10 o'clock leaf while the Poppy Shop ones had a "high" 11 o'clock leaf.

Another seller is asking £30.00 - £50.00 each for standard dated pins issued between 2013 - 2019 ! :eek:

Charliedog012012 09-01-21 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 534596)
Is it just me or do these not quite look right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284096786724

Don't say they are faking 2013 badges now.

Michael

Well as the seller says, “Be well and have a blessed day”. First time that I have seen that on eBay. Interesting.

dumdum 10-01-21 11:44 PM

Poppies from a wee while ago....

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike and other "poppy pundits"

Thought that you might like to see some older poppies. The 1921 example is easy enough to date but what period would you suggest for the others?

dumdum 10-01-21 11:47 PM

Another!

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to add this one! Any ideas as to the date?

mike_vee 11-01-21 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 534827)
Forgot to add this one! Any ideas as to the date?

According to the "MADAME GUÉRIN" website the poppy with HF in the center is probably/possibly 1930-1938.

The round label/badge attached to the other poppy is described as "an early official Poppy Seller’s badge" and the registered number (which is on the other side) would date it to having being first registered 1922.

If anyone is interested in the history and various types of Poppy , I would recommend this excellent site :

REMEMBRANCE POPPY TIMELINE FOR GREAT BRITAIN

dumdum 12-01-21 12:01 AM

Hi Mike

Another really great, informative post. I don't know who had put this "collection" together but they clearly had a reason. The latest poppy in the grouping dates from the late 40's.

All the best and thanks again!

dumdum 13-01-21 07:47 PM

Hand made poppy for 2021!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi poppy fans

Recently talking with a somewhat creative friend, I discussed my interest in poppies.

As we talked he said that he could make one in copper and hard enamel (the old method) for me in exchange for some really nice wine.

Turned up with this yesterday!

A genuine one-off, hand made, pin back poppy!

I doubt if he's contemplating mass production but you can always PM me if you want one...:D

alan alfred 20-01-21 12:49 AM

Poppy Badges

Hi guys,

I am an old Coldstreamer, in lock down and bored. I have been reading the Poppy appeal thread for some time and this year decided to collect the standard poppy badges from circ 2005.

I have the small stud but not the one with the leaf.

I am looking for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,

If anyone has a spare I would be gratefull.

I am going to mount them on x4 Poppy appeal white cards (already ordered).

Please if you have a spare you can live without please let me know the price. I will donate an extra £5 per badge to the Poppy appeal.

Many thanks.

alan alfred 20-01-21 05:06 AM

Lookig for

Hi guys

I understand these are hard to find.

Thanks in advance.

mike_vee 21-01-21 04:41 PM

Hi Alan , I'll dig out my "spares" box at the weekend and see if I have any . Do you have the 2 small undated ones with the leaf ? (one has leaf on left , the other leaf on right)

The early dates do occasionally pop up on eBay in 'job lots' , do not pay the silly money some sellers are asking.

Mike_2817 21-01-21 08:50 PM

Like Mike V I will check my spares box but pre 2010 dated pins are scarce

alan alfred 22-01-21 02:54 AM

Got the 2010 now :)

Paid £24.

Thanks guys foryour help

alan alfred 22-01-21 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 535854)
Hi Alan , I'll dig out my "spares" box at the weekend and see if I have any . Do you have the 2 small undated ones with the leaf ? (one has leaf on left , the other leaf on right)

The early dates do occasionally pop up on eBay in 'job lots' , do not pay the silly money some sellers are asking.

Thanks for the advice. No I am looking for the smaller undated pins and the tiny stud with leaf.

dumdum 22-01-21 11:24 PM

Three badges for the price of one!

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alan alfred (Post 535741)
Hi guys,

I am an old Coldstreamer, in lock down and bored. I have been reading the Poppy appeal thread for some time and this year decided to collect the standard poppy badges from circ 2005.

I have the small stud but not the one with the leaf.

I am looking for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,

If anyone has a spare I would be gratefull.

I am going to mount them on x4 Poppy appeal white cards (already ordered).

Please if you have a spare you can live without please let me know the price. I will donate an extra £5 per badge to the Poppy appeal.

Many thanks.

Thought that you might like to see this "set". I have posted this in the past but decided to post again following the member's mention of the Coldstreamers.

The BL badge and the Ypres League (silver) are both the large size examples.

Wouldn't it be nice to know who owned them? :)

alan alfred 23-01-21 02:49 AM

I have the one on the left.

I think it was a put together.

Nice though.

dumdum 23-01-21 06:08 AM

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. Oh yes, definitely an "assemblage" but a nice little bit of folk art. The good news is that you don't have to worry about losing one or two badges out of three.

Lose them all at the same time....:D

dumdum 23-01-21 09:19 AM

Vintage poppies

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Been going through some boxes, as we all should from time to time. Although I found myself easily distracted, I did locate these.

Not sure about the origin of the two slightly shapeless faded poppies but I'm told that the "Vetcraft" one is from Canada and made by disabled veterans. Happy to learn more or stand corrected.

mike_vee 23-01-21 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 536024)
I'm told that the "Vetcraft" one is from Canada and made by disabled veterans.

From Canadian Legion magazine :

"In 1922, the federal Department of Soldiers’ Civil Re-Establishment came to an arrangement with Vetcraft Industries Inc. to produce the poppies for the 1922 poppy campaign. Vetcraft employed disabled war veterans to manufacture various crafts."

Can't pin down a date for the one you have , only info I found states :

"The rear of the poppy shown above bears the ‘VETCRAFT’ trademark, together with the emblem of the ‘Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League’. It is deduced that this particular style of poppy dates to no earlier than 1927 and no later than 1951".

mike_vee 23-01-21 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 535854)

Have checked and I do have a 2007 one but unfortunately I'm not prepared to move it on at the moment . I don't really sell badges , I'd rather trade/swap them for ones I need.

There is a 2006 one on eBay at the moment with a 'buy it now' price of £195.00 but the seller made a 'private offer' of £160.00 !

There is also a 2007 one for £119.99 but it is complete rubbish and the wrong size.

When I joined this forum 2 years ago there were three of us all in the same postition , looking for the early dated poppies to complete our collections. We all have now got complete sets and without paying ridiculous prices.

The pins are still out there and if I spot any I'll give you a heads up.

PS. Once you start you get addicted and want some of the 'variations' ! ;)

alan alfred 23-01-21 02:20 PM

Thanks Mike - like your collection, especially the different leaf positions. How do you date the undated ones?

dumdum 23-01-21 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 536029)
From Canadian Legion magazine :

"In 1922, the federal Department of Soldiers’ Civil Re-Establishment came to an arrangement with Vetcraft Industries Inc. to produce the poppies for the 1922 poppy campaign. Vetcraft employed disabled war veterans to manufacture various crafts."

Can't pin down a date for the one you have , only info I found states :

"The rear of the poppy shown above bears the ‘VETCRAFT’ trademark, together with the emblem of the ‘Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League’. It is deduced that this particular style of poppy dates to no earlier than 1927 and no later than 1951".

Hi Mike

Again, you have amazed me (and us!) with your ability to hunt down facts. I think that the poppy came from Canada (via that worldwide market..) so that would all tie in nicely.

I have really been looking through stuff with my new-found (and not exactly desired) leisure time thanks to Covid.

As a result, I've found a lot of things that had been "hidden in plain sight" so you can probably expect some more poppies and other objects on a semi-regular basis!

mike_vee 24-01-21 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan alfred (Post 536057)
Thanks Mike - like your collection, especially the different leaf positions. How do you date the undated ones?

stud - 2005 based on info from other collectors / Poppy Appeal Organisers.

mini 11/11/11 & undated - No proof of date but as leaf is at 2 o'clock possibly pre 2011 as that was first year leaf was moved to other side.
NB. These 2 are not 'official' RBL issue but may be "authorised" items produced by branches.

small 2 o'clock leaf - No proof of date but as leaf is at 2 o'clock possibly 2006 - 2010 because in 2011 leaf was moved to other side.

small 10 o'clock leaf - From 2011 onward , this is the version branches/PAO's get. (I refer to these as 'low leaf' as bottom of leaf is where petals join).

small 11 o'clock leaf - From 2011 onwards , this is the version sold on-line by PoppyShop . ('high leaf' as the bottom of the leaf is midway up the top petal).

Large 10/11 o'clock leaf - From 2014 , the versions same as the small ones.

alan alfred 24-01-21 06:34 PM

Do your two o'clock small undated have a matrix back or plain semi shiny?

Also I received a large, medium and small undated from the poppy shop. The large having a clip pin and two o'clock leaf.

Have you seen the 1913/2013?

The bags are the same and so are the staples underx50 mag.

They have cp stamped on the back may be care plus?

alan alfred 24-01-21 06:37 PM

I got the 1913/2013 from a poppy seller in Exeter.

He was wearing it along with others. He has been selling for BL for 20 plus years and it was genuine

Mike_2817 24-01-21 10:13 PM

I have been a Poppy Appeal Organiser (PAO) since 2000 and have never seen a 1913/2013 Poppy Pin via the Poppy Appeal nor does it have any significance I know of.

Where your seller got this pin I do not know but it was not via the Poppy Warehouse or PAO the small 11 O'clock was issued in that year.

CP produced Poppy Pins for the Poppy Appeal for a number of years and did not always mark them.
I have a 2014 maked CP and a 2015 marked CaringPlus
There is also a 2016 bright red variation example marked CaringPlus

I have Poppy Pins among my collection which I know are not genuine Poppy Appeal issue but not a 1913/2013 example.

alan alfred 25-01-21 01:46 AM

Hi. I understand what you are saying. My point was:
I bought them the same place I bought my other genuine poppies.
The supplier only sold the standard poppies at Remembrance.
The badges are the same colour, shape and have cp on the back
Are in identical bags, with identical folded and even the staples are cut the same and of the same material.
Why would someone go to such extreme lengths when a similar badge would sell without breaking the law.
He told me local areas sometimes sourced badges in small lots.
I honestly don't know for certain if they are genuine any more than I do for the other badges I have collected.
Like you found different leaf positions I have now 8 undated all different. Some have different markings on their backs but look identical from the front looking through a x50 loop. To counterfeit the exact couples etc would not be necessary.
I too have several fakes. They have the wrong sizes, colours, bags, staples or just look plain wrong.