British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 06-06-20 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Latest poppy pins.

1. Early poppy - Not sure if pre WW2 ?

2. D-Day

3. Three Scottish Soldiers commemorative pin.

mike_vee 09-06-20 03:11 PM

Poppy Shop Update

Poppy Shop have just redesigned their website , it is difficult to negotiate but I did find a couple of things that may be of interest.

The three VE Day 75 poppy pins (Army/Navy/RAF) are all available again.

The Operation Banner 50 pin (1969-2019) is also in stock (if you missed it first time !).

And there is a Battle of Britain 80 (1940-2020 hexagonal pin) , either I missed it before or it is a new issue.

mike_vee 10-06-20 08:50 AM

Poppy Shop rip off !

Did a bit more exploring on Poppy Shop website this morning and discovered something which I personally think is wrong.

It seems you no longer have to shop on eBay to get ripped off when buying dated Poppy pins , Poppy Shop will sell them to you at higher prices !

They are now selling :
"MEMBERS - Collectors Poppy Lapel Pins Dated"
"Collectors Poppy Lapel Pin dated with the year 2010. Wear this elegant Poppy Lapel Pin with pride anywhere and everyday. Lapel pin size approx 1.5cm…"

They are offering:
2010 - £17.99 (reduced from £36.00)
2011 - £19.99 (reduced from £36.00)
2012 - £36.00 (sold out)
2013 - £36.00 (sold out)

Now , as these pins have not been for sale on Poppy Shop site (and never at these prices !!) for years , how can they be "reduced" ?

Also , I could buy genuine RBL 2012/2013 dated pins on eBay .... or directly from RBL branches/PAO's for a couple of pound each !

While I think it is a great idea to reissue dated/commemorative pins I think this latest idea is wrong and will make the RBL look like bad , it will also encourage even more fakes/copies (from the same Chinese suppliers) to appear on-line.

Rant over !!! :mad:

mike_vee 10-06-20 10:22 AM

All the items in the above post have now been removed from the Poppy Shop site. :confused:

When I tried to go to the page via my browser history ;

"9:02 AM
MEMBERS - Collectors Poppy Lapel Pins Dated 2010 | Poppy Shop UK"

I get the message 404 Not Found , so either the four pages I looked at have been made in error or someone higher up has had second thoughts ?

Poppy Shop is definitely getting worse , there have been numerous problems with their site and although I am signed up for their newsletter/alerts I have never received any updates from them.

mike_vee 18-06-20 11:58 AM

Battle of Britain 80

1 Attachment(s)
My badge arrived from Poppy Shop this morning , these were only on their site for a very short time and are no longer available (not even showing as 'out of stock'). :confused:

The Battle of Britain was from July - October 1940 and the 15th September 1940 was officially named Battle of Britain Day as it was the day when RAF Fighter Command claimed what proved to be a decisive victory over the German Luftwaffe.

Hopefully Poppy Shop will get more of these badges before the anniversary but as they had supply/delivery problems with VE Day 75 items I'm just glad I ordered mine as soon as they appeared.

Mike_2817 18-06-20 03:43 PM

Received mine also

yorkstone 18-06-20 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Image attached was given to Scouts in Staffordshire about 10 Years ago for fundraising etc. I have not seen it shown so far so thought I would share this image it was unofficial but was worn. I believe available to affiliated units but memory fails me I just put one into my collection at the time.
Regards
Stephen

Mike_2817 18-06-20 09:30 PM

I have stocks of the above woven poppy which is not limited to Scouts use and is still available to order by PAO's

mike_vee 19-06-20 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 513298)
I believe available to affiliated units but memory fails me I just put one into my collection at the time.
Regards
Stephen

Thanks Stephen.

I have two of them , one from my local Poppy Appeal stall and the other came with an Affiliated Unit patch I bought from a Scouting source.

Possibly when a group became "affiliated" with a local RBL branch these were offered when "Affiliated Unit" patches were purchased ?

Charliedog012012 20-06-20 04:53 PM

Mike,
So so glad that I read through the posts on this thread. The Dunkirk 80 pin had completely bypassed me. However, after reading your post I managed to order one today.....as for the Falklands Pin....well that is a different matter. With a bit of luck one might turn up sometime.....patience, they say, is a virtue after all.
Cheers
James

mike_vee 20-06-20 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 (Post 513505)
.....as for the Falklands Pin....well that is a different matter. With a bit of luck one might turn up sometime.....patience, they say, is a virtue after all.

Mike C found one for me , I found one for Jerry , so you are top of the list if another turns up ! ;)

Frank Kelley 28-06-20 06:24 PM

Can you imagine the result if they had made a limited edition with a certificate dedicated to a casualty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 513226)
My badge arrived from Poppy Shop this morning , these were only on their site for a very short time and are no longer available (not even showing as 'out of stock'). :confused:

The Battle of Britain was from July - October 1940 and the 15th September 1940 was officially named Battle of Britain Day as it was the day when RAF Fighter Command claimed what proved to be a decisive victory over the German Luftwaffe.

Hopefully Poppy Shop will get more of these badges before the anniversary but as they had supply/delivery problems with VE Day 75 items I'm just glad I ordered mine as soon as they appeared.

mike_vee 29-06-20 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 514382)
Can you imagine the result if they had made a limited edition with a certificate dedicated to a casualty?

A lot of their plans for this year , especially for V.E Day , had to be cancelled which is a shame. The way it is going I can't see things being back to normal by Remembrance Day.

Although Poppy Shop is doing their best the various branches are missing out because the commemorative pins/badges they would have sold are either stuck in factories/warehouses or have been cancelled.

mike_vee 07-07-20 12:43 PM

RBL Logo badges

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen any other sizes/variations ?

Not looking for Commitee/Branch officials ones , just basic logo.

PS. Seems Poppy Shop do listen , they have added a "New In" section in their "Collections" area.

mike_vee 12-08-20 10:11 AM

New Poppy Pin

1 Attachment(s)
Just ordered this Poppy Pin , 3D printed geometric nylon poppy.

Not available from Poppy Shop but from The Royal British Legion eBay Shop

Don't know if this is a trial/prototype item or if they plan mass production but thought it would be an interesting addition to any collection.

NB. Photo from RBL eBay Shop

mike_vee 14-08-20 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Arrived today , I wonder if this was somone's 'lockdown' project.

No idea how long it would take to "print" each one , it may end up as a limited edition item ?

Frank Kelley 18-08-20 08:37 AM

Someone's lockdown project, so did you not actually buy it from RBL, if so, is it a fake poppy, copyright would certainly be infringed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 519388)
Arrived today , I wonder if this was somone's 'lockdown' project.

No idea how long it would take to "print" each one , it may end up as a limited edition item ?

mike_vee 18-08-20 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 519824)
Someone's lockdown project, so did you not actually buy it from RBL, if so, is it a fake poppy, copyright would certainly be infringed?

Bought directy from the official The Royal British Legion eBay Shop , they are not available from Poppy Shop.

What I meant by 'lockdown project' is that , because the RBL Village factory in Aylesford would have been closed due to Covid one of the staff may have designed this poppy , used their 3D printer to manufactuer them and then got official permission to sell them.

Just checked the shop on eBay and they have "more than 10 available" but only 1 has been sold (to me ?) , so maybe they want to see if they were popular and cost/time effective before deciding to mass produce them.

Hazzii 18-08-20 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 389761)
I'm am attempting to collect pins supporting the RBL Poppy Appeal, and will be starting a Gallery when I have time.

At the moment I am looking for 2007 to 2010 Poppy Pins (not sure if there was an earlier 2006 pin or not)

So if anyone can help please, please let me know.

Hi, Here is what I have managed to collect so far over around 3 years. Hope this helps. All variations of size, colour and shade etc. Some are not official RBL pins but I focused on the poppy with leaf mostly. Just starting to work out how to display these at the moment. Just ordered the new Second World War Armed Forces Pin. Out today on PoppyShop. Made from a blend of metal from a 1944 D-Day Spitfire and others.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9936/a72JrG.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3974/YMe3hd.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3756/YNrukE.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1643/up4ueN.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/378/35LV7z.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/285/wm4kQI.png

mike_vee 18-08-20 12:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice collection , there are a few (mainly unofficial) ones that I'd like to add to my collection.

Although you focused on ones with the leaf you should try and get the 2005 'stud' .

Here are a couple of unusual/limited ones that I have.

1. 'stud'/micro , mini (possibly authorised ?) , small 2 o'clock leaf.

2. 1918-2018 Centenary , 2014 Gold center.

3. 1914-2014 Lest We Forget.

mike_vee 01-09-20 10:23 AM

Second World War Armed Forces Pin

7 Attachment(s)
Just arrived , the latest RBL 'provenance metal' commemorative pin , "Second World War Armed Forces Pin".

Nice pin and a great addition to the set. This time , unlike the D-Day one , there is no 'ambiguity' about the manufactuer.
  • Hand made in England.
  • Made by TMB Art Metal (who made the other 'provenance metal' pins).
  • Limited edition of 10,000 pins.
  • Made from original historic metals used during World War Two , a D-Day Spitfire, D-Day Royal Navy vessel and Army mess tins.
  • Each one comes with a commemorative certificate, dedicated to a brave soldier who served and sacrificed during the Second World War.
  • Presented in a keepsake box, with a certificate of authentication.

Charliedog012012 02-09-20 11:21 AM

Mike, I am really glad that you posted that. Managed to purchase one this morning. Great addition to the commemorative pins.
Cheers
James

mike_vee 08-09-20 09:59 AM

2020 Poppy Pin

Is the 2020 dated Poppy Pin available to PAO's/branches ?

One is listed on eBay for £3.99 including postage (seller from Leicester) , I'll be getting mine from PAO/Poppy seller to ensure money goes to RBL but was curious if this was genuine RBL item ?

mike_vee 08-09-20 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just checked Poppy Shop and their eBay site , no sign of 2020 dated pin but as these are normally only for PAO's/Branches I didn't expect it to be there.

They do have these 2 new Poppy Pins available.

mike_vee 17-09-20 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 2 new RBL poppy pins have arrived , they are 'slightly' larger than the normal double dated ones .

Picked up another (unofficial) 'mini' 11/11/11 poppy , photo shows it's size compared to the 2005 'stud' pin.

mike_vee 20-09-20 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 519198)
Just ordered this Poppy Pin , 3D printed geometric nylon poppy.

Not available from Poppy Shop but from The Royal British Legion eBay Shop.

Don't know if this is a trial/prototype item or if they plan mass production but thought it would be an interesting addition to any collection.

The 3D Nylon Poppy pin is now available directly from Poppy Shop.

Also , 2020 Welsh and ROI Poppy Pins.

Mike_2817 20-09-20 03:15 PM

I have 5000 '2020' Dated Poppy Pins on route for delivery early next week.

We are planning a limited Poppy Appeal in November with no street collections. In Harrogate Supermarkets and Petrol Stations plus newsagents will sell pins.

mike_vee 21-09-20 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 523217)
I have 5000 '2020' Dated Poppy Pins on route for delivery early next week.

We are planning a limited Poppy Appeal in November with no street collections. In Harrogate Supermarkets and Petrol Stations plus newsagents will sell pins.

Remember to save me a Poppy Mike . ;)

A lot of planned events have been cancelled , the regional City Poppy Days that were scheduled to take place in Cardiff, Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester are now off.

London Poppy Day is 'provisionally' still on (subject to restrictions) but may end up a victim of 'lockdown'.

P.S Some scum are already/still selling 2020 Poppy Pins on eBay. :mad:

Mike_2817 21-09-20 05:31 PM

I will reserve a 2020 Pin for any member who wants one @ £2 plus £1 postage & packing and will post within 20 days of receipt. - Orders via PM please.

I am recovering from COVID-19 after a short stay in hospital, and am relying on outside help to post pins at the moment.

mike_vee 22-09-20 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 500056)
3. We Will Remember Them 1914-1918 (I thinks this also came with white background).

Eventually managed to get hold of the white one. :)

mike_vee 01-10-20 10:55 AM

2020 Poppy Appeal

The Royal British Legion have standard paper poppies available on their eBay site for donations of £2.00 , £5.00 or £10.00 (+ £3.99 postage).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/theroyalb...p2047675.l2562

Also available from PoppyShop.

mike_vee 04-10-20 05:12 PM

RBL -ROI Poppy/Shamrock Pin

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 483307)
"RBL-ROI are delighted to introduce a new pin commemorating the 80th Anniversary of the start of WW2 and particularly acknowledging the contribution of Irish men and women in that conflict."

" Available online for suggested donation €3 each + €2 IE & NI p&p (for up to 10), €3 rest of world."

Just spotted one of these on eBay with a 'buy it now' price of £30.00 + postage ! :eek:

But that was put in the shade by this listing :

"POPPY PIN BADGE JOB LOT BUNDLE ‘SUPER SUPER RARE’ COLLECTION 2006-2019 (16 Pins)"

Starting bid £799.99 ! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Frank Kelley 14-10-20 01:57 PM

Certainly a handsome thing and ten thousand is not a great number, I hope they prove to be as successful as the Somme and other reclaimed metal pieces that have been produced in recent times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 521151)
Just arrived , the latest RBL 'provenance metal' commemorative pin , "Second World War Armed Forces Pin".

Nice pin and a great addition to the set. This time , unlike the D-Day one , there is no 'ambiguity' about the manufactuer.
  • Hand made in England.
  • Made by TMB Art Metal (who made the other 'provenance metal' pins).
  • Limited edition of 10,000 pins.
  • Made from original historic metals used during World War Two , a D-Day Spitfire, D-Day Royal Navy vessel and Army mess tins.
  • Each one comes with a commemorative certificate, dedicated to a brave soldier who served and sacrificed during the Second World War.
  • Presented in a keepsake box, with a certificate of authentication.

mike_vee 15-10-20 07:08 AM

Copper Poppy

1 Attachment(s)
A new addition to my collection , a really nice handmade copper poppy.

Although not an 'official' item (10% going to RBL) , it is unusual and will develope a nice patina in years to come. Weight: 14.5g

Neil Kelly 21-10-20 02:17 AM

RBL Poppy apeal badges

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I have a few gaps in my collection I'm looking for 2006 and 2008 pin badges can anybody advise me where I might be able to purchase them from. I have a few duplicates I'm[IMG][/IMG] willing to trade

mike_vee 21-10-20 11:22 AM

2020 Poppy Pins

1 Attachment(s)
Latest additions (Thanks Michael) . :D

1. Metropolitan Police - Earliest I have is 2006 but have a few 'gaps'. :(

2. RBL Overseas - Only have 2018 , so looking for any other years.

3. Royal Guernsey - Channel Islands produce some excellent pins.

4. RMP - Different design this year to previous ones I have (2015-2019).

Mike_2817 21-10-20 03:30 PM

It just so happens I received two 2020 Overseas Poppy Pins, but I notice you have one in the picture!

Looking for 2019 and earlier than 2018 for myself.

Also looking for a 2020 PGA Golf Pin.

Have 2020 Met pin on order - Thanks for the head up.

Mike C

mike_vee 22-10-20 08:27 AM

Hi Mike , I got offered the 2020 Overseas pin and snapped it up but appreciate you thought of me. If I spot anything I think you'd be interested in I'll let you know , the earlier Met pins appear now and again but mostly for ridiculous prices (£20.00) !

A lot of pins on eBay at the moment for silly money , people cashing in on Remembrance , that's why I always try to get mine directly from RBL members.

billy 25-10-20 12:27 PM

Royal British Legion Poppy Pins

Gentlemen the RBL here have pins for 2012 - 2018, seven pins in all on a card so your donation gets you the lot and they have quite a few sets at present probably 18 sets or so, they may be earlier can't honestly remember but thought you may want to know? Could be your own local collector may have similar!

mike_vee 25-10-20 01:49 PM

Thanks for the information Billy , while they are the most common dates they would be a great "starter set" for anyone looking to collect the full range.

Also , better getting them from RBL than on-line dealers as money goes directly to charity.

One dealer is selling a full set 2006 - 2019 with start price of £499.00 ! :eek: