British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Manufacturers of Rising Sun badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742)

wardog 28-02-08 06:05 PM

Manufacturers of Rising Sun badges.

Are some makers of the Rising Sun badge more collectable then others, and if so, what are the more collectable makers and the rough price of each? Thanks, Paul.

slick_mick 29-02-08 04:12 AM

Not really - the more collectable Rising Sun badges tend to be the regimental badges that have the Rising Sun pattern in them as there were considerably lesser numbers of those compared to say WW1 and WW2 RSBs.

The most collectable of the ACMF/Australian Army Rising Suns would be the Tift Taft made WW1 version with the slider.

Mick

wardog 29-02-08 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply Mick. Are all slider badges UK made, and were they made here in both wars? I have Rick Grebert's Slouch Hat and Rising Sun Badge book and looking at the manufactures list I wonder if anything is known about the dates which those makers made badges. I would like to know which ones only made badges during the Great War. Thanks, Paul.

Jibba Jabba 08-03-08 12:07 PM

There was a Tip Taft on eBay late last year, it made 75 pounds. They are indeed a nice badge not only because of the incredible quality but also the fact that the badge is maker marked twice.

jeep 07-08-08 02:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. Third issue and would appear to have been made from gilding metel and then copper coated. Maker 'K.G.LUKE MELB.' Australian badges are not my field. Was this a common maker, and between what years?

JoeW 12-01-09 05:46 AM

Rare Rising Sun Hat badge

From what I have seen the rarest one is made by J R Gaunt during WW1, very rare! Gaunt was the first maker around 1904 , they also made sterling silver ones .I saw one for sale 12mths ago in Sydney for $1500Aust it was in mint condition with all Hallmarks

JerryBB 09-11-11 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep (Post 18717)
Here's mine. Third issue and would appear to have been made from gilding metel and then copper coated. Maker 'K.G.LUKE MELB.' Australian badges are not my field. Was this a common maker, and between what years?

According to an Aussie friend, Luke only made them during the WWI period -though he lists it as K C Luke, Melb, though yours looks like a G.

Regards,
Jerry

badgecollector 09-11-11 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 141264)
According to an Aussie friend, Luke only made them during the WWI period -though he lists it as K C Luke, Melb, though yours looks like a G.

Regards,
Jerry

hi jerry
k.g.luke didnt come into existance until the early 1920s so never made ww1 badges. only made ww2. and it was K.G.Luke
bc

badgecollector 09-11-11 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeW (Post 30284)
From what I have seen the rarest one is made by J R Gaunt during WW1, very rare! Gaunt was the first maker around 1904 , they also made sterling silver ones .I saw one for sale 12mths ago in Sydney for $1500Aust it was in mint condition with all Hallmarks

there was one of these badges at the last penrith gun show for $3000.
crazy
bc

wardog 09-11-11 11:44 PM

As this thread is active again, I would still be interested to know which makers made these badges during the Great War, and a rough idea of which ones are hard to come by, and perhaps a price guide? Please PM me if you wish. Regards,Paul.

LONGSHANKS 09-11-11 11:50 PM

As mentioned above Tiptaft can command a high price. In my Colonial albuum I have one I got this year. It fit's my WW1 need's. Below is a link I think to Luke one. Low start bid, so maybe worth keeping an eye on if you or anyone is looking for one.

My Tiptaft I got for 75 pound. It came with a bunch of buttons and another badge. I sold them on for about 12 pound, so not bad in the end when knowing they go for about the 80 to 100 pound usually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-Australi...ht_1165wt_1331

I couldn't say what the prices are for the other manufacturers, and the tip on the gaunt is handy. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those next.

Regards all

Simon.

badgecollector 10-11-11 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardog (Post 141284)
As this thread is active again, I would still be interested to know which makers made these badges during the Great War, and a rough idea of which ones are hard to come by, and perhaps a price guide? Please PM me if you wish. Regards,Paul.

hi paul
although not rare, tiptaft badges are highly sort after. they were produced without maker marks (you tell from the construction) maker marked on the slider only, maker marked on the body of the badge only and maker marked on both the slider and body of the badge. these double marked badges sell for $100-$150.
stokes and sons also made ww1 badges but the quality isnt nearly that of the tiptaft badge.
im sure there are a few other aussie makers but will have to have a look in my collection.
gaunts also made them but recently i have seen several badges i believe are restrikes comming up for sale, so be careful
hope this helps
bc

badgecollector 10-11-11 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS (Post 141287)
As mentioned above Tiptaft can command a high price. In my Colonial albuum I have one I got this year. It fit's my WW1 need's. Below is a link I think to Luke one. Low start bid, so maybe worth keeping an eye on if you or anyone is looking for one.

My Tiptaft I got for 75 pound. It came with a bunch of buttons and another badge. I sold them on for about 12 pound, so not bad in the end when knowing they go for about the 80 to 100 pound usually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-Australi...ht_1165wt_1331

I couldn't say what the prices are for the other manufacturers, and the tip on the gaunt is handy. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those next.

Regards all

Simon.

hi simon
as per your ebay link, the kg luke badges are ww2 so no good for anyone looking for a ww1 issue.
although gaunt made some badges in ww1, they were all brass, bronze or gilding metal. the sterling silver hallmarked were all pre 1910. i have never seen a genuine item hallmarked post 1910.
bc

JerryBB 10-11-11 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 141277)
hi jerry
k.g.luke didnt come into existance until the early 1920s so never made ww1 badges. only made ww2. and it was K.G.Luke
bc

Thanks for the correction, I have passed this info on to him.

Regards,

Jerry

wardog 10-11-11 11:21 PM

Thanks all. Interesting that Luke badges are post WWI. I would think that Luke and Stokes are the most common. I guess Stokes were in operation in both World Wars? Did Lambourn of Birmingham make slidered badges- I think I remember seeing one some years back. I have a handfull of Tiptaft ones. Very interested that they produced unmarked ones as I have seen slidered badges before that I had thought myself looked the same as marked Tiptaft badges. Regards, Paul.