British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Army Air Corps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73946)

High Wood 28-05-19 08:44 PM

Army Air Corps

2 Attachment(s)
I have these two types of Army Air Corps sweetheart badges. The wings type I am happy with as it clearly has some quality. I am not so happy with the other type as both the finish and the quality of the enamel are poor. Both are marked sterling silver.

Frank Kelley 28-05-19 08:49 PM

Both are fairly typical, I would not have any issues, just from the photographs you show, I suppose it would all come down to the price sought and paid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 479618)
I have these two types of Army Air Corps sweetheart badges. The wings type I am happy with as it clearly has some quality. I am not so happy with the other type as both the finish and the quality of the enamel are poor. Both are marked sterling silver.

leigh kitchen 28-05-19 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 479618)

Is the enameling on the cap badge design actually enamel or could it be badly applied translucent paint or ink drawn on using felt tip type pens that can be bought nowadays, presumably for decorating glass. I've seen images of such decorated cap badges including anod. al. ones purporting to be officer's enamelled badges.

High Wood 28-05-19 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 479620)
Is the enameling on the cap badge design actually enamel or could it be badly applied translucent paint or ink drawn on using felt tip type pens that can be bought nowadays, presumably for decorating glass. I've seen images of such decorated cap badges including anod. al. ones purporting to be officer's enamelled badges.

It could indeed be translucent paint on the cap badge. The badge itself is rough cast and shows no sign of having aged. Note the file marks on the letters A.A.C.

If it is genuine it is very badly finished compared to other sweetheart badges of the period.

Frank Kelley 29-05-19 06:52 AM

It looks perfectly original and again very typical of the period concerned, but, I don't understand why do you think it might not be, I an not aware that these have ever been copied, it looks fine from the photograph you show.

High Wood 29-05-19 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 479641)
It looks perfectly original and again very typical of the period concerned, but, I don't understand why do you think it might not be, I an not aware that these have ever been copied, it looks fine from the photograph you show.

I am quite relieved to hear it. My concerns were based on the poor finish which is probably the worst of all those in my small sweetheart collection.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2025

Frank Kelley 30-05-19 06:52 AM

It just looks quite normal from the photographs, the things needed to be affordable to the masses, you could go out and buy high end stuff, but, most people simply would not want to pay, certainly a period of very difficult economic conditions for most, which would continue into the following decade.

If you are not happy, you can send it to me!

High Wood 30-05-19 08:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 479741)
It just looks quite normal from the photographs, the things needed to be affordable to the masses, you could go out and buy high end stuff, but, most people simply would not want to pay, certainly a period of very difficult economic conditions for most, which would continue into the following decade.

If you are not happy, you can send it to me!

Frank,

you are absolutely right about the need for affordability. Looking closely at some of my other WW2 sweetheart badges, the enamelling is not that good either, but being smaller badges it is less noticeable. The A.A.C. sweetheart is a large badge, not much smaller than the cap badge, so the poor quality of the enamel is more visible.

I have not owned one before and the paranoia involved in buying silver badges in a market that is flooded with fakes is clearly getting to me.

Thank you for your offer of a home for it but your commonsense answers have persuaded me to keep it.

Many thanks,

Simon.