British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Royal Warwickshire and KSLI (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85506)

mac66 29-06-21 10:37 AM

Royal Warwickshire and KSLI

2 Attachment(s)
Morning all, I was going through my line infantry badges and thought I could do with a second opinion on these two which I bought a couple of years ago. Not too sure about the Warwickshire, but the KSLI I noticed has a die flaw on the bugle. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome, regards, David.

Alan O 29-06-21 10:39 AM

No alarms bells are ringing from me.

gb64 29-06-21 10:50 AM

Both look good to me also

Gerard

mac66 29-06-21 11:03 AM

Thanks for your opinions Alan and Gerard, much appreciated. David

dubaiguy 29-06-21 11:11 AM

Could they both be unmarked F. Narborough's. The list I have for FN includes the R. Warwickshire, but not the KSLI. So it would be interesting for me to add the KSLI to my list if others think the shape of the sliders are indicative of FN manufacture.
Cheers
Mark

mac66 29-06-21 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 553347)
Could they both be unmarked F. Narborough's. The list I have for FN includes the R. Warwickshire, but not the KSLI. So it would be interesting for me to add the KSLI to my list if others think the shape of the sliders are indicative of FN manufacture.
Cheers
Mark

Interesting, I found a FN marked KSLI on ebay yesterday
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/174792795586...53.m1438.l2649

Luke H 29-06-21 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your KSLI badge has die flaw running through the bugle as seen on the Martin Marsh catalogue repro. Big alarm bells for me.

mac66 29-06-21 03:20 PM

Looks like someone bought it in the last 10 minutes

mac66 29-06-21 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 553372)
Your KSLI badge has die flaw running through the bugle as seen on the Martin Marsh catalogue repro. Big alarm bells for me.

Thanks Luke, The die flaw was the main reason I questioned the authenticity of this badge, do the MM examples come with convincing sliders, as I thought the one on my example looked ok?

Nozzer 29-06-21 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 553347)
Cheers
Mark

Have you seen Tony's Album?

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2642

Luke H 29-06-21 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 553374)
Thanks Luke, The die flaw was the main reason I questioned the authenticity of this badge, do the MM examples come with convincing sliders, as I thought the one on my example looked ok?

Some of the dies certainly pre-date Mr. Marsh and his enterprise and now he is no longer active but clearly dies still in use we have the situation where several repro-ers have attached their various fixings depending on their suppliers across the span of their operation.

But, yes, I have seen some of his wares with convincing sliders and even on nice ā€˜Dā€™ loops with golden braze.

Luke H 29-06-21 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 553373)
Looks like someone bought it in the last 10 minutes

Alas the danger of highlighting an active badge listing on a badge forum. No doubt someone saw it and snapped it up.

Ashton 29-06-21 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 553377)
Some of the dies certainly pre-date Mr. Marsh and his enterprise and now he is no longer active but clearly dies still in use we have the situation where several repro-ers have attached their various fixings depending on their suppliers across the span of their operation.

But, yes, I have seen some of his wares with convincing sliders and even on nice ā€˜Dā€™ loops with golden braze.

Martin Marsh and his father Bernard never made any badges they bought them in from the trade in Birmingham as did and as most repro dealers still do.There are several trade outlets still dealing

Luke H 29-06-21 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashton (Post 553390)
Martin Marsh and his father Bernard never made any badges they bought them in from the trade in Birmingham as did and as most repro dealers still do.There are several trade outlets still dealing

I did not say he physically made them. However I am certain he was likely involved in the commissioning of further new dies for his later expanded catalogue volumes. My point was over the years some of these dies have moved between various manufacturers. The ‘Martin Marsh fakes/repros’ are termed as such because they are the ones pictured in his catalogue of wares.

mac66 29-06-21 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 553382)
Alas the danger of highlighting an active badge listing on a badge forum. No doubt someone saw it and snapped it up.

Yes, but good luck to the person who did, my fault for procrastinating:)