British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Lew Shotton (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79483)

Terry Rayner 28-06-20 09:24 AM

Lew Shotton

Hello Troops
I'm sorry to find out that Lew Shotton is closing his site. I have dealt with Lew for many years, I went to meet him at his home when I was in Portsmouth, a great bloke.
Regards Terry

cavalryman 28-06-20 10:20 AM

Lew Shotton

Hi Terry, Sorry to read of his website closing next month, have bought a few items off him in the past. https://lewshottonmilitaria.com/shop.php?ps=1 regards John

Mike H 28-06-20 12:39 PM

Sad news but I believe that hed only opened the new site to sell off a collection. I have noticed the site he runs with his son hasn't had any new items for a few months now.

Lancer 17 28-06-20 12:47 PM

Hi Terry

Thanks for your post, I to have dealt with Lew on and off for many years and have only just received my latest small purchase and I have another coming via a 3rd party, thanks Mike.

I wish Lew a happy retirement if that's whats needed but he will be missed.

Regards

Phil.

PS, I also remember the fag packets of many years ago.

Phil.

49lassiepen 28-06-20 01:45 PM

RE Lew's son Garry .he appears to be selling/off loading his Castle militaria items on ebay -brother 7766 Some of the prices on ebay are 50% less stating prices than on his site Many items only going slightly over the start price on ebay
Sad to see Lew giving up I have been dealing with him for approx 35 years ,when items arrived in fag packets many times before payment sent The good old days
David

bobanodised 28-06-20 02:59 PM

Lew Shotton

Yes I concur, will be sadly missed, I too remember the cigarette packets, a great trade mark and he was a great dealer
Bob

wardog 28-06-20 06:49 PM

If I remember he sold a number of basic infantry badges at a reduced rate for new collectors- helped start me off in the early 1990s. In the days of paper lists he was my main trusted seller and his regular infantry badges were good value. I wish him well. Regards, Paul.

3dg 28-06-20 08:25 PM

Shame, I have had a number of badges off Lew, and we've done a few swaps in the past, and have had a few chats with him when I ordered badges over the phone.
I remember my first badge off him, a blackened Yorkshire Dragoons, wrapped in kitchen towel in a fag packet ha ha.
Best wishes to him

Chris

Home Guard 28-06-20 10:01 PM

I was not familiar with his site, but it seems he has an excellent reputation for selling true pieces and straight dealing.

Terry

cbuehler 29-06-20 12:54 AM

I have dealt with Mr. Shotton on several occasions in the past. An old and well regarded name in this hobby.

CB

Expat Yeoman 29-06-20 05:38 AM

The message says that the specific site (which was to dispose of one particular collection) is closing so perhaps his other one will continue? Let us hope so anyway!

49lassiepen 29-06-20 08:39 AM

As previous post Castle militaria is now run by his son Garry as farther and son have now split up as far as I am aware
Lew is on ebay as hantsreg2 now appears to be selling a lot of stamps
Garry ebay brother 7766
David

slick_mick 29-06-20 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman (Post 514417)
The message says that the specific site (which was to dispose of one particular collection) is closing so perhaps his other one will continue? Let us hope so anyway!

I tried to buy a badge from it today but he refunded my money and said he couldn't access the site any more.

Mick

41st 29-06-20 11:06 AM

Sad news indeed. I've had some great badges from Lew over the years and like others a lot came in fag packets.
Hwyl,
Kevin

dubaiguy 29-06-20 07:06 PM

Unfortunately I would be wary of a number of Garry's eBay items (brother7766) especially some of his Scottish badges. As an example the 6th VB Gordon Highlanders listed now is the classic fake with discs for the stag's eyes and washers at the base of the antlers. Similar 'original' 6th VB GH duds always availabe on eBay from a plethora of untrustworthy sellers. A little disappointing as I've bought many really nice items from both Lew and Garry in the past and I do hope Garry manages to up his eBay game a little.
Mark