British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown Crowned monogram/cypher badges X 2 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89470)

Terra Nova 02-05-22 05:40 PM

Unknown Crowned monogram/cypher badges X 2

3 Attachment(s)
Submitted for your consideration are two Crowned, entwined initials, monogram cyphers badges, both in white metal, unmarked silver or silver plate. They are as follows:

Badge 1. (top). A series of entwined initials, as best as I can decipher, from left to right "M", "V", "L" and "C", surmounted by a Crown and the letter "I" or the number "1". It measures 75 mm (3 inches) high X 124 mm (4 7/8 inches) wide. It is quite robust in construction. The reverse has four screw posts, 1/2 inch in length.

Badge 2. (bottom). A series of entwined initials, as best as I can decipher, from left to right "L", "M", "V" and "C". Though it could be, alternatively, an "M" and "H" in there. Initials surmounted by a Crown and the letter "I" or the number "1". It measures 55 mm (2 1/8 inches) high X 70 mm (2 3/4 inches) wide. It is quite robust in construction. The reverse has three screw posts, 1/2 inch in length.

Any information on the identification, date and use of these insignia would be appreciated. Thank you.

with kindest regards to all,

Tim

grenadierguardsman 02-05-22 07:30 PM

Ive no idea, but they look nice and of good quality. I like them.
Andy

Terra Nova 02-05-22 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 578299)
Ive no idea, but they look nice and of good quality. I like them.
Andy

Thank you, Andy. They are quite lovely and have a nice heft to them. Now, just to learn what they are!

all the best,

Tim

Alex Rice 03-05-22 06:41 AM

With the horizontal bar in both, I would say there's an H in there.
Cheers,
Alex

Mike B 03-05-22 07:17 AM

I may be miles off - but first though was they reminded me of nurses silver buckles. H for Hospital?. Probably a total red herring ... but thought I would share. Probably very unlikely on second thoughts ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Nurses-Belt.../bn_7022747931

Ben Bevan 03-05-22 08:15 AM

Possibly, The 1st Duke Of Manchester’s Light Horse Volunteer Cavalry?

Terra Nova 03-05-22 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 578322)
With the horizontal bar in both, I would say there's an H in there.
Cheers,
Alex

Hello Alex,

Yes, I am inclined to agree that there is an "H" in there. Thank you.

all the best,

Tim

Terra Nova 03-05-22 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 578326)
I may be miles off - but first though was they reminded me of nurses silver buckles. H for Hospital?. Probably a total red herring ... but thought I would share. Probably very unlikely on second thoughts ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Nurses-Belt.../bn_7022747931

Thank you, Mike.

I checked out the Nurse's belt buckles - quite stunning. I can see what put them in mind as a possibility. The hunt continues!

all the best,

Tim

Terra Nova 03-05-22 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bevan (Post 578330)
Possibly, The 1st Duke Of Manchester’s Light Horse Volunteer Cavalry?

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your input - the deciphered letters and number "1" make sense. I did search about the web/googling and came up with some pictures of insignia from that unit. Unfortunately, nothing that looks like these and they were in gilding metal not silver/white metal - also with the ducal crown as opposed to the fuller crown here. Possibly, if it is "1st Duke Of Manchester’s Light Horse Volunteer Cavalry," these are from another time period.

With any luck, there are other examples of these pieces - or photos/illustrations or descriptions in regulations that will give us "proof positive." All inputs are welcome and are helping to steer us onto the eventual right track.

all the best,

Tim

Ben Bevan 03-05-22 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim, need to re read my books more often! Here are both of your badges, I was nearly right, it’s actually The 1st Middlesex Light Horse, raised Jan 1861, disbanded Dec 5 1866. Image taken from ‘Light Horse and Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1860-1901’ by W.Y Carman.
Mystery solved, regards, Ben.

Terra Nova 03-05-22 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bevan (Post 578351)
Tim, need to re read my books more often! Here are both of your badges, I was nearly right, it’s actually The 1st Middlesex Light Horse, raised Jan 1861, disbanded Dec 5 1866. Image taken from ‘Light Horse and Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1860-1901’ by W.Y Carman.

Hello Ben,

Wow - you absolutely nailed it! Many, many thanks. This is very exciting. I certainly can't fault anyone for the ID not coming immediately to hand. It seems a small, short-lived, long-ago unit.

Now, it's my turn to be a little red-faced. In my library, I have that book. Somehow the recollection of the image eluded me. Thank goodness for exquisite reference books like Mr. Carman's and moveover, fellow hobbyists with the good sense to know where to look. I am most obliged to you. Mystery solved!

with very best wishes,

Tim

Ben Bevan 03-05-22 04:57 PM

You’re very welcome Tim, I love these ‘lightbulb’ moments!
Best, Ben.

Terra Nova 03-05-22 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bevan (Post 578360)
You’re very welcome Tim, I love these ‘lightbulb’ moments!
Best, Ben.

Hello Ben,

You are so right. Let's keep those bulbs burning bright!

with best wishes,

Tim

grenadierguardsman 03-05-22 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bevan (Post 578351)

Excellent.
Andy

Terra Nova 03-05-22 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 578367)
Excellent.
Andy

Thank you, Andy. It's great when it all comes together so nicely.

all the best,

Tim