British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Guards Silver Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76290)

popskipa 06-12-19 09:20 AM

Guards Silver Badges

3 Attachment(s)
I am trying to date this badge, it is stamped SILVER.

Most grateful for your assistance and thank you for looking

Keith

popskipa 07-12-19 12:19 PM

I would appreciate the help of the forum please, is the badge between the wars, postwar or modern?

Thank you for looking

Keith

grenadierguardsman 07-12-19 04:07 PM

I have read that in the Boer War Coldstream Guards Officers wore a small silver capstar in their slouch hat. On the left hand side also.
Andy

popskipa 07-12-19 04:55 PM

The badge measures 52mm high, 40mm wide...?

grenadierguardsman 07-12-19 09:04 PM

Ok its the larger one out of the two types. Evidence suggests it was worn during the Crimean War i believe. Ill check my notes and get back to you.
Andy

manchesters 07-12-19 10:21 PM

I find that any silver badge that is stamped 'SILVER' rather than hall marked is usually more modern than old.

I would suggest the latter half of the 20th Century.

regards

grenadierguardsman 07-12-19 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 494249)
I find that any silver badge that is stamped 'SILVER' rather than hall marked is usually more modern than old.

I would suggest the latter half of the 20th Century.

regards

Yes i believe your right there Simon, im pointing out when they type was worn.
Andy

cbuehler 08-12-19 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 494250)
Yes i believe your right there Simon, im pointing out when they type was worn.
Andy

I am in agreement with this assessment as well. Likely not prior to ww2 in any case. A nice badge however!

CB

Frank Kelley 08-12-19 10:33 AM

Looking at the photographs, I would certainly think that it has no significant age to it whatsoever, it does appear to lack the quality of badges made prior to the 1960's, subsequently, the rot began to set in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by popskipa (Post 494120)

Keith

grenadierguardsman 08-12-19 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 494244)
Ok its the larger one out of the two types. Evidence suggests it was worn during the Crimean War i believe. Ill check my notes and get back to you.
Andy

There is a book out about the Crimean War and artefacts, the large type cap star is shown. I don't have the book myself, so cant post a picture of it.
Andy

hagwalther 08-12-19 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 494260)
Looking at the photographs, I would certainly think that it has no significant age to it whatsoever, it does appear to lack the quality of badges made prior to the 1960's, subsequently, the rot began to set in.

I duuno Frank. The first badges issued to the ranks of the Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment in mid/late 1990's were gold plated and quite a few other modern 'New Metal' badges are absolute stunners.

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 08-12-19 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popskipa (Post 494120)

Keith

Hi Keith,

Your badge is similar in some ways to the modern first pattern 'New Metal' item which were probably made in mid 1990's before being later replace with non silver pieces with a different pattern No. These first pattern badges were also stamped 'SILVER'.

However, I would say that your badge is not from the 'New Metal' era thus made before 1990. I don't recognise the lugs used and the pin fastener on the back, although similar, does not look like the more modern examples found on this badge.

I would find out when the word 'SILVER' was first used on silver items - can't remember off hand but if an item (or part) was under a certain weight (7.5 grams?) then it was not hallmarked and was just stamped 'SILVER'.

From that date to 1990's would give you a range to explore further.

Chris

popskipa 09-12-19 08:01 AM

Thank you all for the replies

Keith

matti467 09-12-19 04:37 PM

Hello Keith, I was interested in the 'SILVER' stamp as there were a spate of badges stamped thus around 2006ish. I was mugged into a Berkshire and Westminster Dragoons one. When I received it alarm bells range and the seller, quite remarkably, had another for sale immediately. After that there were quite a few different badges marked 'SILVER'.

grenadierguardsman 09-12-19 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 494355)
Hello Keith, I was interested in the 'SILVER' stamp as there were a spate of badges stamped thus around 2006ish. I was mugged into a Berkshire and Westminster Dragoons one. When I received it alarm bells range and the seller, quite remarkably, had another for sale immediately. After that there were quite a few different badges marked 'SILVER'.

I believe this is a genuine cap star, just not of great quality. I would have it in my collection.
Andy