British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   RFA - hidden in plain site! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70674)

gurkharifles 11-11-18 11:57 AM

RFA - hidden in plain site!

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd share this with you. My Mum has reached that age where she's decided to "declutter" her house and every time we visit she gives things away.
Last week she said "why don't you take your Grandmother's locket - you like military things " - the last bit left me somewhat bemused - the silver locket with a picture of my grandmother had always been on show in her cabinet amongst various other bits and pieces and other photos. - It was only when she took it out and gave it to me did I realise that it wasn't a locket , but my Grandfather's ID bracelet - it had been in that cabinet for at least 50 years - how had I missed it? I knew my Grandfather but was too young to have asked him all the things that I would love to know now. I've tried to trace his actual battery - but all of the records were lost in WW2. Thanks to kind members on this forum - I've been able to make an educated guess that it was 41st Battery, 42nd Brigade ( this "guess" was based on the death of Henry James Charman - who had a service number 70295 and was recorded to be in this battery - my Grandfathers number was 70291 ) - I know it's not conclusive but it's all I've got. - Would anyone be able to tell me if that Brigade wore a distinctive shoulder title ?

Many thanks Tim

Alex Rice 11-11-18 01:33 PM

Amazing find, well done. Glad it stayed in the family.
Cheers,
Alex

leigh kitchen 11-11-18 01:39 PM

Yes, nice that it wasn't just disposed of. My own mother has been in declutter mode for some time now but she realises the significance of these things to her children and grandchildren, can only hope things stay that way.

gurkharifles 19-11-18 04:08 PM

150 views - but no suggestions on what shoulder title the 42nd Brigade would have worn ?

MH331 19-11-18 05:29 PM

As a pre war regular RFA Brigade the plain GM(brass) RFA title would have been worn on the shoulder.

gurkharifles 19-11-18 06:08 PM

Many thanks ! Tim

charlie962 27-12-18 10:50 PM

Did you see this in National Roll of the Great War:

P.G. SERVICE Sgt RFA Volunteering in January, 1915, he crossed to France in the following year, and served there until the close of the war. During this period he took part in the Battles of the Somme, Arras, Messines, Passchendaele, and those of the German Offensive, and subsequent Allied Advance of 1918. Retained on special duties for some months after the Armistice he returned to England for demobilisation in July, 1919, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals. 19, White Street, Pendleton.

Write-ups in the NatRoll should be treated with caution. Often inaccurate.

I suspect that assuming the man with the next number might have gone to the same unit in France is not a strong case. Ok for initial enlistment and perhaps first joining RFA Depot ( I suspect he enlisted early Jan 1915 then joined at the Glasgow Depot) but afterwards they all went to different places.

Charlie

Roy 27-12-18 11:00 PM

Wonderful Tim,

A little Christmas Miracle there mate.

Cheerio,

Roy

gurkharifles 29-12-18 09:55 AM

Charlie

I can't thank you enough for this - it really is a Christmas miracle ! I'm just about to go and fetch my Mother for the New Year - she'll be thrilled - and the family "legend" that he "stayed behind to help bury the dead" has some substance I guess with the final phase of his service?

Tim

Brian Conyngham 03-01-19 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurkharifles (Post 463638)
Charlie

I can't thank you enough for this - it really is a Christmas miracle ! I'm just about to go and fetch my Mother for the New Year - she'll be thrilled - and the family "legend" that he "stayed behind to help bury the dead" has some substance I guess with the final phase of his service?

Tim

Hi Tim, great info there. After WW1 there was as one can expect thousands of tons of detritus to sort out and dispose of, especially ammunition and not only bodies. I also have medal groups to chaps that served into 1919, a grizzly and thankless job.A large number of soldiers died carrying out these duties.

Brian

Lancer 17 07-01-19 07:53 AM

Hi Tim

That's a great find, I know how you feel, I was there in 1977 and its my family's greatest treasure.

Happy New Year.

phil.

Artynut 12-01-19 10:54 PM

19th NIAGARA Bty

I wonder if anyone can help? Perhaps 54Bty (Mark). I have a pagri flash brass title .... 14 over CORUNNA over IVF. I am guessing IVF maybe 4th Fld Regt. But would like more proof. Anyone? Best regards D.J.

charlie962 15-01-19 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 465174)
I wonder if anyone can help? Perhaps 54Bty (Mark). I have a pagri flash brass title .... 14 over CORUNNA over IVF. I am guessing IVF maybe 4th Fld Regt. But would like more proof. Anyone? Best regards D.J.

I'm not sure that you didn't mean to start a seperate thread ?
14th (Corunna) Battery was part of 4th Field Brigade. It wasn't awarded the 'Corunna' title until 1937 so your badge must presumably date to this period ? The name was changed to 17th Corunna Battery and 4th Field Brigade is now 26th Regiment RA. There is more detail on a brief history online here:
https://www.26thregra-asc.com/17bty.html
and there are some interesting photos on Flikr here but no clear pagri badge!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjbull...th/5367770493/

Hope this helps
Charlie