British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Can you identify these Officers & /or statley home? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69350)

tynesideirish 20-08-18 11:54 AM

Can you identify these Officers & /or statley home?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, Can anyone help?
I've two unknown senior officers and an entrance to a statley home to ID. I'm more hopeful of the entrance moulding as I know I'd probably recognise any Statley home I'd visited.

The officers may both be Lt.Colonels. The one wearing a Cap has General Service coat of arms insignia and no Sam Browne. The Beret wearing officer has a small Light Infantry type cord device on his beret.

It is from a large group photo with mixed capbadges and sexes and I have no idea who, what or where.

Hope you can help. Feel free to share amongst any forums you may belong to.

leigh kitchen 20-08-18 11:58 AM

The ATS are wearing the RA or RE grenade as a breast badge, similar insignia possibly worn by at least one man in his FSC.

leigh kitchen 20-08-18 12:04 PM

The officer wearing the beret - as viewed on my phone the image appears to have "LONDON" and another line of lettering embossed in the area of his beret and above.
A ghost of a postmark?

54Bty 20-08-18 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 451952)
A ghost of a postmark?

Definitely at least two ghosts, centre right.

Marc :eek:

tynesideirish 20-08-18 04:31 PM

The picture is ink stamped Panora Ltd. London W??? but I cannot see an overstamp on the Officer on the original.
There's lots of RA attached women but many more with other insignia.

leigh kitchen 20-08-18 04:52 PM

I think the officer in the beret may be wearing grenade collars and possibly a RNF or similar design cap badge, the gilt showing dark and the silver design on the ball showing bright.
Then again I look at that beret and wonder if there's a toorie on top. Nice little mystery.

Mike Jackson 20-08-18 07:50 PM

I think, based on the black beret, the cap star, the lack of collar badges and the dark shade of shirt and tie, that the officer in the beret is in a Tank Battalion of Coldstream, Scots or Irish Guards. Two NCOs in the back row are wearing formations signs - which I cannot make out. Mike

leigh kitchen 20-08-18 08:12 PM

If Guards the button spacing should indicate which regiment?

badjez 20-08-18 10:33 PM

identify

The NCO are wearing shirt and tie, plus GS caps, so I would suggest this is late 1944 or 1945. The shirt and tie was unofficial for some time so if Guards I doubt they would have got away with wearing it.

I had wondered if the archway may have been Western Europe but the presence if ATS in service dress, and the London post-mark seem to rule this out.

Stephen

tynesideirish 21-08-18 06:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics, hope they are better.

tynesideirish 21-08-18 06:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Close ups...

Dan M 21-08-18 10:59 PM

The officer in the 'beret' looks like it has a dark hackle in the front. His uniform also has black buttons, a dark lanyard and what looks like a black Sam Browne.

Also the beret is poorly shaped, and I don't think any soldier by that period in the war would not know how to shape and wear a beret properly (General officers excepted, of course). Could it be, and I'm no expert here, a Caubeen rather than a beret?

Cheers,
Dan.

Alan O 22-08-18 09:20 AM

Last picture is RAMC on the right hand man, The one in the middle is indeed GS Corps.

tynesideirish 23-08-18 06:05 PM

Thank you all for having a look and contributing. I was hoping one or both of the Officer's would be well known faces or at least the statley home might be recognisable. Shame there's no joy on both scores. A known unit or place would have helped when I frame it. On a closing note, under a glass, the beret definitley has a bugle on a cord boss on it, no hackles or toorie visible.

grenadierguardsman 23-08-18 08:49 PM

Wearing collar badges, so not Guards.
Andy