British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cast KRRC badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83608)

stray_dog 04-03-21 01:14 PM

Cast KRRC badge

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

I 'd like to share this cast KRRC badge, part of a small lot that I recently added to the collection.

It does look honest in hand, but I would like to have some more learned opinions on it, regarding its originality and vintage. So, what are your thoughts?

Regards,
Giorgos

Jelly Terror 04-03-21 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stray_dog (Post 541020)
Hi all!

I 'd like to share this cast KRRC badge, part of a small lot that I recently added to the collection.

It does look honest in hand, but I would like to have some more learned opinions on it, regarding its originality and vintage. So, what are your thoughts?

Regards,
Giorgos

Giorgos,

Casting notwithstanding, this badge (pattern 884E/1905), rendered its predecessor (Pattern 884D/1903) obsolete as of 13th December 1905, in order to accommodate additional honours.

As for the place of origin of your particular example, I think it is almost impossible to say, though I am sure members with greater knowledge of theatre-made badges will be able to throw more light on it. Always tricky when attempting to appraise cast examples. It could have been manufactured seventy years ago or it could have been manufactured seventy days ago.

Regards,

JT

stray_dog 04-03-21 02:38 PM

Thanks for your time and your reply, JT!

Regards,
Giorgos

cbuehler 04-03-21 03:34 PM

As mentioned, dating these is tricky; however, yours appears to have some age to it. Just where it was made is difficult as well. India, Egypt etc.

CB

stray_dog 04-03-21 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, CB!

Giorgos

Tweed 04-03-21 06:19 PM

I would say it is an original example to me !
The unusual slider I have seen before

Kind regards Chay

leigh kitchen 04-03-21 06:21 PM

I dont know if the badge is "genuine" but yes, that type of slider seems fairly common on cast badges.

Tweed 04-03-21 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s one from my collection I would say North African

Kind regards Chay

leigh kitchen 04-03-21 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Rhodesia Regiment cast badge with similar slider.
It was suggested on this thread that such sliders may be a trait of Egyptian locally made badges.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...light=Rhodesia

stray_dog 04-03-21 06:59 PM

Leigh, Chay, thank you for your replies! Nice to see the NZ badge photo, too.

Edit: Also thanks for the link, Leigh!

I know that authenticating these is tricky, but IMO they are really interesting.

Regards,
Giorgos

Sonofacqms 04-03-21 09:49 PM

cast cap badges

One of the interesting things about "sand cast" or locally made badges is to try and put the unit the badge pertains to historically into an area where these badges were made such as India, Egypt or other Middle Eastern countries.

If a war raised unit such as a Royal Naval Division cap badge is sand cast there is a very good chance it is a reproduction as the Royal Naval Division Btns only wore cap badges when serving on the Western Front, before that they wore cap tallies whilst in Gallipoli.

I have several locally made badges which I have attributed to units that served in the above mentioned locations, as to whether they are original I cannot guarantee, but interesting items nonetheless.

Rob

Tweed 04-03-21 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 541089)
One of the interesting things about "sand cast" or locally made badges is to try and put the unit the badge pertains to historically into an area where these badges were made such as India, Egypt or other Middle Eastern countries.

If a war raised unit such as a Royal Naval Division cap badge is sand cast there is a very good chance it is a reproduction as the Royal Naval Division Btns only wore cap badges when serving on the Western Front, before that they wore cap tallies whilst in Gallipoli.

I have several locally made badges which I have attributed to units that served in the above mentioned locations, as to whether they are original I cannot guarantee, but interesting items nonetheless.

Rob

Indeed this is exactly what I do when get the chance! I also compare metal types as well ! I’m fascinated by the mixture they used in North Africa it’s almost like alchemy of gold in some cases!
Kind regards Chay