British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Essex Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87502)

ajc347 28-11-21 03:03 PM

Essex Regiment

I've stumbled across this badge and am a bit puzzled by it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393389713...YAAOSw3d1griQR

I'm trying to work out whether it is a genuine lugged OSD or a modern reproduction.

There appears to be a makers mark on the rear of the badge and the letters 'LONLCN' appear to be visibile.

Can anyone cast any light on it at all please?

Phil2M 28-11-21 03:30 PM

It is a badly struck Gaunt London mark.

ajc347 28-11-21 04:21 PM

Thanks Phil

I was hoping that it would be something like that. :)

Luke H 28-11-21 07:14 PM

I am no collector of OSD’s but I know modern repro loops when I see them.

That seller is infamous for disposing of an equally infamous collection of repros and made up badges.

The lack of quality, definition and detail esp to the lettering and mark suggests strongly to me this me this is a cast copy. There are OSD and Essex collectors on here who I’m sure can confirm one way or the other.

In the (unlikely) event it is original it has certainly been refinished (badly) and had modern replacement loops affixed.

I see the badge has sold, if you are buyer I would say be prepared for disappointment.

Fatherofthree 28-11-21 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings.

Andy, as Luke has stated, this badge was/is one from a large collection of badges, the vast majority of which were/are bogus/fake/counterfeit/fantasy items that were sold to this seller.

Many of them were offered on ebay and with the exception of a very, very small number, they were not genuine/original items.

The badge you have stumbled upon is a poor cast copy of an Officer's OSD badge, made by Ludlow, with London following the name which is missing from the cast, but London remains.

Below is an example of a genuine Officers badge, of the same pattern, showing the maker's mark but produced in white metal and on blades.
Attachment 260795

Attachment 260803

I hope this helps you in choosing a genuine badge in the future.

Also, if you have an interest in Essex Regiment badges, have a look at my album here

Regards.

Brian

Sonofacqms 28-11-21 10:24 PM

That collection must have been enormous, it's been on ebay for a long time . . !

Rob

Phil2M 28-11-21 10:34 PM

I got London right at least. I didn't want to comment on authenticity.

ajc347 28-11-21 10:41 PM

Thanks for the further replies guys and thank you for helping to clarify things.

It's interesting to see where it has come from in terms of linegae with regard to both the seller (who is defintely one who I will avoid in the future) and the badge it has been cast from.

I guess I'm going to have to chalk this one up to exprerience and learn not to jump the gun too quickly in future. :)

Home Guard 29-11-21 12:54 AM

If you bought it I'd see about returning it.

Terry

ajc347 29-11-21 01:18 AM

That's exactly what I plan to do Terry.

The seller has a 14 day return period via eBay so it will be a pretty easy process to sort out. :)

Luke H 29-11-21 02:48 AM

The collection was truly vast Rob and contained some positively whacky pieces C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien and couldn’t have dreamt up between them after a night out with Ozzy Osbourne.

I make no excuses for the seller and what I presume is their ignorance on the subject but I suspect this is a case where they’ve unwittingly bought and are now lumbered with a rotten collection.

ajc347 - the seller surely can’t have posted it yet? If I were you I’d just ask to cancel the deal and refund to save postage and hassle of a return.