British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   WW1 SA Artillery (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69290)

Brian Conyngham 16-08-18 08:30 PM

WW1 SA Artillery

1 Attachment(s)
Found this picture of a long serving gunner with ABW service, possibly taken in WW1? Note universal SA Issue cap badge instead of the SA gun badge, and very shinny collar badges.

What I found interesting in this picture was the weaved lanyard. This pattern of weave was still in use 70 years later in the SADF, during the so called "Border War". I can recall many of the troops in the 1970's and 80's wearing these lanyards woven from their standard issue green nylon utility cord (if I recall correctly, it was 16 feet long?). Named along the lines of " soldier cord nylon green utility" :D where they came up with these descriptions who knows?

Brian

leigh kitchen 16-08-18 08:40 PM

"Paracord" in my day, used for all kinds of purposes including blackened up as boot laces.
Paracord and gaffer tape - they're what held the British army together back then.

Milmed 19-05-20 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 451631)
Found this picture of a long serving gunner with ABW service, possibly taken in WW1? Note universal SA Issue cap badge instead of the SA gun badge, and very shinny collar badges.

What I found interesting in this picture was the weaved lanyard. This pattern of weave was still in use 70 years later in the SADF, during the so called "Border War". I can recall many of the troops in the 1970's and 80's wearing these lanyards woven from their standard issue green nylon utility cord (if I recall correctly, it was 16 feet long?). Named along the lines of " soldier cord nylon green utility" :D where they came up with these descriptions who knows?

Brian

Hi Brian,
Taking a look at old posts and I believe this may be an Engineer and not gunner. Those collar badges are what the SAEC(railways) wore in Europe WWI. Gunners wore the small flamed grenade at the time along with a gun cap badge (either SAFA or SAHA)

Regards
Steven

RobD 19-05-20 10:41 AM

Ja, I think it's the same ou who rang the xylophone for 2nd dinner sitting on the Durban-Cape Town train in 1973. Moustache is the same. Kabeljou followed by lamb, if I recall.

Brian Conyngham 14-06-21 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobD (Post 510055)
Ja, I think it's the same ou who rang the xylophone for 2nd dinner sitting on the Durban-Cape Town train in 1973. Moustache is the same. Kabeljou followed by lamb, if I recall.

:D

oc14 15-06-21 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 451633)
"Paracord" in my day, used for all kinds of purposes including blackened up as boot laces.
Paracord and gaffer tape - they're what held the British army together back then.

AKA "Black Nasty"

Paul