British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tyneside Irish Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2450)

jeanpit-frenchy 29-04-08 05:27 AM

Tyneside Irish Shoulder Title

3 Attachment(s)
This title come a friend french collectionner, for me is genuine (it is the brother in arms of the title of my friend, now not 100% certain !!!!:rolleyes: )

but it come from FRANCE, not GB, my friend is extremely suspicious with items who come from GB ...

Luke H 29-04-08 05:31 AM

JP
is there any mention of reid and son?

Malcolm Davey 29-04-08 06:47 AM

Shadows hmmmm

denfinately no voids either side of the Bays and the "V" in GVR , the right side is definately soild joined to the "R" when there should be voids both sides of the "V".
Definate restrikes IMO

Malc

Alan O 29-04-08 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Halls (Post 10591)
JP
is there any mention of reid and son?

Jean-Pit,

When the Battalion were raised at the start of WW1 they decided to have their own shoulder titles made under private arrangements. These were this badge. They ordered them from the firm of Reid and Son so the first issue have their name along the back of the harp. Later issues were not marked. It was long thought that these were cap badges, (and are shown as such in Gaylor and K&K) but work by some well repscted historians (from memory Ray Westlake in particular) has produced photgraphic evidence that they were indeed part of the s/t and the Bns wore the standard NF cap badge.

I wold add that any with sliders are without doubt repro.

Alan

jeanpit-frenchy 29-04-08 07:35 AM

thank you ;)

but no maker "Reid and son" on my title :(

Faugh-A-Ballagh 29-04-08 09:00 PM

Tyneside Irish Battalions

Did the Tyneside Irish pals battalions wear the Northumberland Fusiliers cap badge with Tyneside Irish shoulder titles, or did they have their own cap badge? I see supposed Tyneside Irish badges regularly advertised, but in my limited knowledge, I'm not sure if there was such a thing. No doubt original items are virtually unobtainable due to the heavy losses incurred by these battalions in WW1. Did the Tyneside Irish name live on in any unit designation after WW1, or was that the end of them? I know there will be someone here who can answer this.

John

John Mulcahy 29-04-08 09:12 PM

The Tyneside Irish battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers wore the regular NF Cap badge with a 3 part shoulder title that consisted of the tara harp badge with the battalion numeral above and the regular NF title below. Officers in SD wore regular NF collars and officially rank and file in service dress did not wear collars. NF buttons were worn

Despite many comments to the contrary the harp badge was not worn on the cap. There is plenty of photographic evidence to support this in sources such as Irish Heros in the War, Sheehan's The Tyneside Irish edition of the Pals series and in Our Heros.

You do see some studio portraits where O/R are wearing unofficial crowned harp collars and less so the harp portion of the shoulder title .

Sheehans book has a photo of a color party of one of the battalions parading through Newcastle Shortly after the war and the NCOs in the color party wear the unofficial crowned harp badge on the collars of their SD.

Earlier today there was a reply to another thread which correctly pointed out that the initial orders for the harp badge of the shoulder title was to REID and sons in Newcastle.

I do not believe their memory was perpetuated in any unit after disbandment.

John

Faugh-A-Ballagh 29-04-08 09:17 PM

Tyneside Irish

Thanks John. I saw an OR's uniform in a museum on my WW1 battlefield tour last summer, and it had the collar badges as you describe, and the NF cap badge. I just wondered if this was correct or not. I must try and source a few of these books.

John

jeanpit-frenchy 30-04-08 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mulcahy (Post 10675)
The Tyneside Irish battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers wore the regular NF Cap badge with a 3 part shoulder title that consisted of the tara harp badge with the battalion numeral above and the regular NF title below. Officers in SD wore regular NF collars and officially rank and file in service dress did not wear collars. NF buttons were worn

John

:) thank you for this help i dont know that ....for me (little frenchy :D) the title was only the tara harp !!
please can you help me more ? the "NF" was only the WESTLAKE n°759 with or without the grenade upon ? or a patern like "N-grenade-F" ?
the numeral ? like tyneside scottish (1, 2, 3, 4) ? color ? (WM or gilding )

than you for this help ;)

cheers

John Mulcahy 30-04-08 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
JeanPit

Here is what they look like. Alas this one is not in my collection. Numerals were 24, 25, 26 , 27 & 30

John

with regard to the harp badge, consensus among collectors is that the loops should be east & west and that those with loops north & south are probably reproductions. But no proof exists other than the fact that the original Reid batch had the e & w positions.

jeanpit-frenchy 30-04-08 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mulcahy (Post 10715)
JeanPit

Here is what they look like. Alas this one is not in my collection. Numerals were 24, 25, 26 , 27 & 30

John

with regard to the harp badge, consensus among collectors is that the loops should be east & west and that those with loops north & south are probably reproductions. But no proof exists other than the fact that the original Reid batch had the e & w positions.

thank you for help....

i had "NF" but i think il will be hard to found "24" or "25" etc .....:rolleyes:

but with luke !!!!

cheers

peter616 06-06-08 01:09 PM

The Tyneside Irish Should Title, comes with Reed Newcastle and without Reed newcastle I have just bought a nice medal group to a guy in the 25th battalion which is 25 over the harp over NF the center badge has not got Reed Newcastle on, this has just come from a guy whos mother died and found that this were his Grandads medals, yes Alan I agree that if you ever see one with a slider on it is a wrong one.

tynesideirish 06-06-08 04:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have family connections with this unit, hence my username. I've been lucky enough to have met a large number of these veterens when a boy and here is the real deal, no doubts, if's or but's.

Officially Shoulder titles combination.
Though harp only, seen as collars unofficially (see the T.I book by John Sheen.)
NEVER worn on cap. Normal Northumberland Fusiliers badges where worn.
The other battalions numerals 24, 25, 26, 27, 30 were the only variation / difference throughout the brigade.

Anything else lug configeration, or slider, or makerless should be regarded as suspect at best outright fake at worst.
Mike

tynesideirish 06-06-08 04:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some more for clarity. Please feel free to copy these photos they are mine.

tynesideirish 06-06-08 04:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last couple so no excuses in future! Grin.