British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lincolnshire Regiment bladed OSD cap badge restrike (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19655)

mooke07 25-09-11 08:35 AM

Lincolnshire Regiment bladed OSD cap badge restrike

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

One to watch - the OSD version of the Sphinx and Lincolnshire scroll cap badge of the pre-1946 era of the Lincolnshire Regiment is a star pattern badge in bronze (same style if you will of K&K 1957), please see my Lincolnshire album. This replaced early star pattern versions in silver and gilt and were in turn replaced with silver and gilt Royal Lincolnshire forage cap badges (K&K 1958).

I have a variant in bronze which looks ok with a cast scroll and lugs (subject of a previous post and maybe a variant) but the one below looks an inferior die struck pattern in thin bronzed coloured metal with blades. This is a restrike badge from the bimetal Lincolnshire dies (K&K 600).

Beware they are out there.

Cheers Dean.

KLR 25-09-11 09:03 AM

Dean, I've been concerned about die struck OSDs for a while. There are quite a few King's 1926 Pattern ones about that I've been unsure about. I have seen a photograph of an 1896 Pattern one which the owner swears is a genuine 1st WW officer's "economy" ! But I'm certainly not sure about the die struck MGC OSD I have just uploaded. - but all of these are in one piece.
However, I have a 1926 Ptn King's OSD which is clearly cast from a bimetal badge and stamped LUDLOW LONDON - which actually I think is genuine.

mooke07 25-09-11 09:18 AM

Thanks Julian,

I note your observations with OSD King's Liverpool badges. I would be happy to find one with an original makers mark to the Lincolnshire regiment - I have not one that is makers marked!

Cheers Dean

2747andy 25-09-11 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 134583)
Hi all,

One to watch - the OSD version of the Sphinx and Lincolnshire scroll cap badge of the pre-1946 era of the Lincolnshire Regiment is a star pattern badge in bronze (same style if you will of K&K 1957), please see my Lincolnshire album. This replaced early star pattern versions in silver and gilt and were in turn replaced with silver and gilt Royal Lincolnshire forage cap badges (K&K 1958).

I have a variant in bronze which looks ok with a cast scroll and lugs (subject of a previous post and maybe a variant) but the one below looks an inferior die struck pattern in thin bronzed coloured metal with blades. This is a restrike badge from the bimetal Lincolnshire dies (K&K 600).

Beware they are out there.

Cheers Dean.

Dean,
looks like an ORs badge which has been painted brown and had blades fitted?

Andy

mooke07 26-09-11 05:58 AM

Spot on Andy,

Closer inspection indeed shows stub of a slider and under the blades are the tabs holding the scroll to the Sphinx and it was a gilding metal badge that has been painted. The Sphinx is the smiling clown type and is seen on later restrikes of a WW1 era badge.

A lot of trouble to go to fitting blades and painting over.

Appreciate the observations from afar Andy when I had the badge in my hand, experience counts, cheers Dean.

badjez 03-10-11 09:00 PM

Lincs badge bladed OSD

I agree this is a re-strike badge.
To my knowledge this design of cap badge was only ever worn by OR: Officers always officially wore the star.
Unofficiallly, the left hand OSD collar badge was worn as a headdress badge by some officers. A photo of such a badge, worn by a Capt Nicholson, was subject of an earlier thread.

Stephen.

mooke07 09-10-11 01:58 AM

Hi Stephen,

Agree on repro as have found a dodgy e-dealer site with same badge as mine and other OSD badges all with the painted look, cheers Dean.