British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KRRC Slide or Rings (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84370)

Hampshiregunner 14-04-21 07:38 PM

KRRC Slide or Rings

Hi all, I’ve been offered a KRRC badge from the years 1901 to 1905, that is the K/C version without the two Ladysmith honours.
It’s not cheap, but I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap considering the rarity, so I want to be sure I’m getting value for money.
I reckon the face of the badge is spot on - all the right honours etc. but my doubts concern the back.
At sometime in its life someone has made a very shoddy, amateurish attempt at soldering rings on the top arm. It’s clearly a botch job but the real problem for me is that I don’t know whether the badge had a slide or rings originally. There is marking on the back of the crown which could be from a slider being removed.
Given a fair price I would buy the badge (because the face is most likely genuine) and go about getting a good job of removing the solder and fitting replacement rings or slide.
There is a space in my collection, on a board titled ‘Pre Great War’, just waiting for this badge . . . so any advice would be welcome.

Frank Kelley 15-04-21 08:11 AM

My thoughts would be to wait for a better example to cross your path in it's original condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampshiregunner (Post 546076)
Hi all, I’ve been offered a KRRC badge from the years 1901 to 1905, that is the K/C version without the two Ladysmith honours.
It’s not cheap, but I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap considering the rarity, so I want to be sure I’m getting value for money.
I reckon the face of the badge is spot on - all the right honours etc. but my doubts concern the back.
At sometime in its life someone has made a very shoddy, amateurish attempt at soldering rings on the top arm. It’s clearly a botch job but the real problem for me is that I don’t know whether the badge had a slide or rings originally. There is marking on the back of the crown which could be from a slider being removed.
Given a fair price I would buy the badge (because the face is most likely genuine) and go about getting a good job of removing the solder and fitting replacement rings or slide.
There is a space in my collection, on a board titled ‘Pre Great War’, just waiting for this badge . . . so any advice would be welcome.

Luke H 15-04-21 08:49 AM

I would say it all depends on the price. Missing or poorly replaced fixings for me in most cases knock off minimum 50% value.

On most dealers list these retail at around £125-150 but some greedy dealers ask far more.

You could also consider getting it professionally repaired which would make it look almost as good as new, but that would come at a cost you would need to factor in.

Alex Rice 15-04-21 09:35 AM

My example has lugs / loops, not a slider.

gb64 15-04-21 10:05 AM

Mines on loops also

Gerard

Luke H 15-04-21 11:06 AM

The 1902-05 KRRC can be found on slider or loops.

Keith Blakeman 15-04-21 11:21 AM

If fitted with loops they're generally found on the upper part of the E & W cross arms and remains ought to be visible.

There are two different sizes of this badge too, the FSC which has measurments the same as the Victorian crowned version and then the larger one which is slightly smaller than the post-1905 Ladysmith.

Alan O 15-04-21 11:41 AM

The loops versus slider is datable by the type of hat in use. In 1902 the new k/c badge was lugged for the FSC (side cap). The introduction of the new Pattern (NP), popularly known as the Brodrick, saw the change to a vertical shank fitting. This was later used in a shorter version for the peaked cap which replaced the Brodrick hat.

Jelly Terror 15-04-21 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Examples of all three fixings for Pattern 884D/1903 ('for new pattern forage cap and foreign service helmet'). Obsolete as of 13th December 1905 - replaced with Pattern 884E/1905 (KK2011) in order for additional honours to be added. All three badges shown below measure approximately 50mm in height:

Attachment 248598 Attachment 248599 Attachment 248600

(Cropped image below from National Archives File WO359/14)
Attachment 248604

Hampshiregunner 16-04-21 02:43 PM

Great response. Thank you all. I was thinking I’d attach photos of the badge but I can’t see how it’s done on this forum (whatever happened to clear, simple, easy to grasp instructions?)
However I proceed I’ll have to remove the botch job on the back. The seller is asking for £140 or make an offer. Luke H has mentioned that repairs of the sort necessary should reduce the cost by 50%. I might try.
I guess the simple approach will be, as suggested by Frank Kelley, to wait until another example pops up . . . there are plenty of others that need (Glengarry, Yeomanry, Volunteers) that’ll keep me interested.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Luke H 16-04-21 02:50 PM

Wow. The seller is taking the Michael there.

Either they’re a extortionist or massive chancer. Whichever it is they do not sound like they are reasonable or are worth doing business with. In this instance I would take Frank’s advice.

Alan O 16-04-21 05:38 PM

I would be prepared to pay £20 for such a damaged badge. The seller is not getting that money for a perfect example!

Frank Kelley 17-04-21 10:01 AM

When I originally replied to you I was simply thinking of the way I always used to collect cap badges and notwithstanding the price, I just would never be happy with a badge like that you described.
I remember one of the first examples that I bought, from a then, very well known dealer (who really should have known better) at Stockport Town Hall, back in the days when fairs really were quite spectacular, for seven and a half quid, very happy times.
The point is simply that another example will turn up, they are not rare, although, more people do seem to collect these days, but, you will get one in due course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampshiregunner (Post 546270)
Great response. Thank you all. I was thinking I’d attach photos of the badge but I can’t see how it’s done on this forum (whatever happened to clear, simple, easy to grasp instructions?)
However I proceed I’ll have to remove the botch job on the back. The seller is asking for £140 or make an offer. Luke H has mentioned that repairs of the sort necessary should reduce the cost by 50%. I might try.
I guess the simple approach will be, as suggested by Frank Kelley, to wait until another example pops up . . . there are plenty of others that need (Glengarry, Yeomanry, Volunteers) that’ll keep me interested.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Keith Blakeman 17-04-21 12:48 PM

I’ve bought more than one for less than a tenner where the seller hadn’t noticed the battle honours.

Luke H 17-04-21 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 546397)
I’ve bought more than one for less than a tenner where the seller hadn’t noticed the battle honours.

I live in hope of that happening... 23 years and counting so far!