British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Argyll and Sutherland cap badge and others? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84303)

funkeegirl81 10-04-21 02:12 PM

Argyll and Sutherland cap badge and others?

12 Attachment(s)
Hi

What do you think of these?

The Argyll and Sutherland cap badge looks good but someone has done a rubbish repair to the lugs but would welcome your thoughts?

Not sure about the Scottish King’s Own Borderers the lugs look a bit new to me.

Again I’m not sure about the Irish Fusiliers not much detailing on the white metal but wonder if this is due to being very polish worn? Seems old but have no idea if it is.

And Ive never seen the CAC cap badge before its white metal possibly silver and enamel. I’m guessing this is a Canadian cap badge but don't know anything about it.

So welcome your thoughts on these? Again was thinking of selling these but do not want to sell fakes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

magpie 10-04-21 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Google Civil Air Guard, that's the best badge by far in your lot, don't clean it with brasso as you may take the chrome off on the high spots.

funkeegirl81 10-04-21 04:11 PM

Ahhh thank you for that I haven’t seen it before so will give it a google... whats your thoughts on the others real or fakes? 🙁

Sonofacqms 10-04-21 05:50 PM

A&SH, KOSB, RIF

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders is IMO a genuine badge that has been repaired with lots of lead solder, possibly a "field repair".

The King's Own Scottish Borderers is a fake.

The Royal Irish Fusiliers has the crown missing which of course is a two part badge, the crown is easily found to replace the lost one.

Rob

funkeegirl81 10-04-21 07:47 PM

Thank you Rob so much for taking the time to look at my post it’s a massive help thank you.

Yes I thought (although not 100%) that The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders was good I was just concerned about the repair... didn’t even think it could possibly be a field repair makes the badge fascinating in my opinion.. ��

As for The King's Own Scottish Borderers yep didn’t seem right this page has helped loads for me to questions things a lot more.

Ahhhh it’s The Royal Irish Fusiliers, sorry I must be showing off my ignorance here as I didn’t have a clue it was even meant to have a crown...

Now I’ll just try and work out the dates of the A&SH and the RIF any pointers there would be most gratefully received... ��

cbuehler 10-04-21 11:51 PM

The Gael's (Argylls) has been heavily polished down in addition to the old replaced lugs. Possibly an old salt of a badge that the wearer valued.

CB

funkeegirl81 11-04-21 07:25 AM

Yes I’m guessing it could tell a tail or two... would you have an idea of date range, I saw one dating 1901-1935 would you say that was about right... there is some age to it by the wear it’s got.... the ones I’ve seen more of are more white metal with a hollowed out centre. The books I have don’t give a distraction of this one either, so I’m a bit stumped.

Home Guard 11-04-21 03:09 PM

Rob, I would have been fooled by the Border badge. Can you advise what tells it's a fake?

Thanks,

Terry

Frank Kelley 11-04-21 04:05 PM

The Civil Air Guard is very nice and getting quite expensive these days!

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkeegirl81 (Post 545614)
Hi

What do you think of these?

The Argyll and Sutherland cap badge looks good but someone has done a rubbish repair to the lugs but would welcome your thoughts?

Not sure about the Scottish King’s Own Borderers the lugs look a bit new to me.

Again I’m not sure about the Irish Fusiliers not much detailing on the white metal but wonder if this is due to being very polish worn? Seems old but have no idea if it is.

And Ive never seen the CAC cap badge before its white metal possibly silver and enamel. I’m guessing this is a Canadian cap badge but don't know anything about it.

So welcome your thoughts on these? Again was thinking of selling these but do not want to sell fakes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

funkeegirl81 11-04-21 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 545757)
The Civil Air Guard is very nice and getting quite expensive these days!

Really? I have no idea on these things I am planing on selling it but have no idea what sort of price to ask for or where’s the best place to sell would be.

Sonofacqms 11-04-21 06:46 PM

KOSB badge

Terry,
The KOSB badge is based on an officers pattern badge and made in other ranks quality.
How do I know, because I bought one a few years back in a collection, put it up on the forum and was told exactly what it was, a fake!

I still have it for reference.

Rob

funkeegirl81 11-04-21 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 545770)
Terry,
The KOSB badge is based on an officers pattern badge and made in other ranks quality.
How do I know, because I bought one a few years back in a collection, put it up on the forum and was told exactly what it was, a fake!

I still have it for reference.

Rob

That’s really interesting Rob would have reference as to what it should look like?

Home Guard 11-04-21 07:32 PM

Many thanks Rob! I would have been guilty of buying it not knowing. Have more than enough fakes as it is!!!

Terry

cbuehler 12-04-21 12:08 AM

One aspect to avoid is the solid lion. To my knowledge, the lion should be voided.

CB

Alex Rice 12-04-21 06:26 AM

The Borderers may be good, see here:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=188959