British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Military Police Cap Badge - FSW (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49639)

Shiny 15-11-15 09:39 AM

Military Police Cap Badge - FSW

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I've been googling Military Police cap badges to try and learn how to spot a fake WW1 or WW2 when I came across this on Wikipedia :

Field Security Wing – First formed in 1937, personnel of the F.S.W. wore Lincoln green cap covers and brass shoulder titles on their tunics with the letters "FSP", to distinguish them from the rest of the Corps. They wore the standard CMP cap badge, but unofficially ground down the wording "MILITARY POLICE" from the lower scroll of the badge. In July 1940 the Wing was absorbed into the new Intelligence Corps.

Obviously being on Wikipedia it must be true so what I'm wondering is has anyone heard of this before?

I'm also wondering if this could explain a badge I spotted in a market yesterday or if I'm just making excuses for a very worn badge.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

leigh kitchen 15-11-15 11:15 AM

I've read of the removal of the wording on the scroll in articles on the FSP.
The badge in the photo I'd say is a 100℅ certainty to be a RMP badge with normal wear.
I've never seen a FSL shoulder title except as a line drawing in an old Crown Imperial magazine.

Shiny 15-11-15 12:13 PM

Thanks very much Leigh, I appreciate the help.

Michael

engr9266 15-11-15 02:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have the following 2 badges-1 is a CMP with scroll removed and 2nd a CMP with scroll ground down. The 3rd I am not sure about, it is in WM and maybe for a warrant officer but as the crown is higher this proberly for something else. I do not have this badge just a picture.

grenadierguardsman 15-11-15 04:13 PM

This would have been unofficial though.
Andy

grey_green_acorn 15-11-15 09:08 PM

FSP

1 Attachment(s)
FSP brass shoulder title 1937 - 1940
Field Security Police from the Field Security Wing of the Corps of Military Police.
Indeed CMP cap badges were said to have been worn with "Military Police" ground down to leave a blank title scroll. Field Security Police was "softened" to Field Security Personnel prior to being absorbed into the Intelligence Corps in July 1940. (75th anniversary this year).

Tim

Shiny 16-11-15 12:47 PM

Thanks again everyone.

I'm struggling finding a website that will tell me what to look for in regards to telling a real Military Police badge from a fake so any top tips would be appreciated.

I know with the Northumberland Fusiliers cap badge one of the things was the crimp mark on the slider, is that the same in general or just the NF one?

Michael

altcar73 16-11-15 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 331525)
I have the following 2 badges-1 is a CMP with scroll removed and 2nd a CMP with scroll ground down. The 3rd I am not sure about, it is in WM and maybe for a warrant officer but as the crown is higher this proberly for something else. I do not have this badge just a picture.

Your third badge is identical to that which was worn by female prison officers of HM (UK) Prison service.

Dave.