British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Coloured Royal Dragoon Guards in a/a (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74795)

dubaiguy 02-08-19 08:04 PM

Coloured Royal Dragoon Guards in a/a

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a lot of uninteresting modern new-metal badges from Marlow's auction last week to get hold of this one in a/a. Well I took a chance it was what I thought it was. It's the Royal Dragoon Guards - silver, red and blue OR's badge in a/a. It's AAB24 in Chris Marsh's book

Of course the same badge in new-metal is common as muck, but the coloured a/a one had eluded me for many years. Maybe it was just down to me looking in the wrong places, but I was beginning to think it was all a darn figment of Chris' imagination. Has anybody else found difficulty finding one or do I like my teacher said, need to pay more attention?

Mark

hagwalther 03-08-19 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 485197)
I bought a lot of uninteresting modern new-metal badges from Marlow's auction last week to get hold of this one in a/a. Well I took a chance it was what I thought it was. It's the Royal Dragoon Guards - silver, red and blue OR's badge in a/a. It's AAB24 in Chris Marsh's book

Of course the same badge in new-metal is common as muck, but the coloured a/a one had eluded me for many years. Maybe it was just down to me looking in the wrong places, but I was beginning to think it was all a darn figment of Chris' imagination. Has anybody else found difficulty finding one or do I like my teacher said, need to pay more attention?

Mark

Hi Mark,

This badge is quite scarce but most collectors have the more modern piece thinking it is A/A. I have known collectors look for years for this item purchasing as many as six examples before they get the A/A piece.

Regards,

Chris

PS Congrats on getting one!

slick_mick 03-08-19 02:40 AM

Looks like I need one too! Another one to add to my wants list.

Mick

Alan O 03-08-19 08:53 AM

A scarce badge because the regt were quick to drop a/a badges.

bess55 03-08-19 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mark - good work mate, this badge is indeed illusive and took me ages to locate too. I've seen the colouring described as blue and black. In truth mine does look black on the strap. This badge does illustrate well that with anodised alluminium badges, it doesn't have to neccessarily be old to be scarce/rare.

If it makes you feel any better, I reckon we've all bought groups of mediocre just for one diamond in the rough amongst them - you're in good company!

Mine attached for comparison

Regards all

Bess

dubaiguy 03-08-19 07:03 PM

Thanks for vindicating my mad 30 seconds at auction gents. Bess's, mine and the one in Chris's book all have the partial or faint stamping of the Firmin name.

Hope you find one Mick, but I guess we now know it's a rare(ish) one and not just down to me not finding it.

Thanks
Mark

Mike H 04-08-19 07:03 PM

These were produced to try to circumvent the Regt going down the s/p and gilt route. The Regt stood their ground and got their way.
I've not heard of the NCOs version being produced with enamel on anodised. Pretty quickly NCOs and Officers were wearing the small ,collar badge in cap and beret.

dubaiguy 04-08-19 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those that may be interested, I've now joined it with its fellow stable mates. All the badges below the shoulder titles are a/a. I did actively chase the a/a badges and found the smaller one also difficult to get, but certainly there are a lot more around than the coloured one.

Mark

slick_mick 04-08-19 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 485300)
Thanks for vindicating my mad 30 seconds at auction gents. Bess's, mine and the one in Chris's book all have the partial or faint stamping of the Firmin name.

Hope you find one Mick, but I guess we now know it's a rare(ish) one and not just down to me not finding it.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks Mark. Will keep my eyes open for one.

Hopefully one will turn up for me. :)

Mick

3dg 05-08-19 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 485407)
For those that may be interested, I've now joined it with its fellow stable mates. All the badges below the shoulder titles are a/a. I did actively chase the a/a badges and found the smaller one also difficult to get, but certainly there are a lot more around than the coloured one.

Mark

Hello
I'm lucky enough to have the small SNCO badge in anodised and the coloured anodised.
I'm sure I also have the SNCO small one in WM, is this rareish too?
Chris

Restrikes-ok 13-08-19 12:55 PM

Shame they didnt keep the large officers one (gold castle), a very distinctive badge.

49lassiepen 13-08-19 01:04 PM

Added mine in gallery /album -but you will have to stand up side down
David

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 20-08-19 02:09 PM

Royal Dragoons Coloured AA Badge

All,

I notice from this thread that there are some out there that are looking for this badge. follow the link and in this jumble of items there is one, together with several other AA badges and other items. I am not associated in any way with the seller but almost bought the lot myself but we could not agree a price. The most I could get this lot down to was £35.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collector...sAAOSwrTFdUZ7s

Best of luck

Steve

bess55 20-08-19 04:50 PM

Steve, I also saw this small lot. The RDG badge I believe is probably 'new metal' not anodised aluminium. It has a makers mark of London Badge & Button company on the slider.

I'm fairly certain I've only seen the RDG in anodised aluminium (with or without the coloured enamel) made by Firmin.

Never say never, but if anyone fancied a leap of faith I would suggest a few questions first.

Don't take my word for it though . . .

All the best chaps

Bess

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 20-08-19 05:02 PM

Well spotted Bess, I have just checked Chris's 'No Bull' and you are correct, the soldiers coloured AA Badge was only made by Firmin. Therefore the badge in this lot is probably the new metal badge.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up - only to be dashed on further investigation.

Regards
Steve