British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Brass Ttitle Cape Town Highalnder OR Central India Horse ????? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81141)

oc14 09-10-20 12:09 PM

Brass Ttitle Cape Town Highalnder OR Central India Horse ?????

2 Attachment(s)
A pair of brass titles that I initially though were CIH (Central India Horse) but am now starting to think may be CTH (cape Town Highlanders). Can anyone confirm either please ! Quite large titles measuring 40mm wide x 18mm tall. Neither falls within my field of collecting so will be up for sale once positively identified.

Thanks in advance

PL

peter monahan 09-10-20 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of an officer's shoulder title for the Cntyral Indian Horse. Presumably the sowars [troopers] wore the same sans POW plumes. Ity's from Ashok Nath's book on WWI Indian Army badges. It's similar but not, I think, identical.

oc14 09-10-20 01:25 PM

Thank you Peter

Paul

Milmed 09-10-20 01:36 PM

Cape Town Highlanders S/T were white metal and not brass.

The lugs on your badge are typical East African, so I would suggest this is an Indian title...

oc14 09-10-20 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milmed (Post 525095)
Cape Town Highlanders S/T were white metal and not brass.

The lugs on your badge are typical East African, so I would suggest this is an Indian title...

Thank you, that's helpful...

PL

Hoot 09-10-20 06:51 PM

It might possibly be a G rather than a C.

peter monahan 10-10-20 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milmed (Post 525095)

I missed this point! Yes, Indian style lugs for sure.

P.

cbuehler 10-10-20 06:37 PM

Actually those are not typical of the integrally cast lugs on Indian badges, nor is the construction of the badge as whole quite like the norm.
I believe there is a version of the CIH without the POW plumes and although they are a bit strange, they may yet be for that regiment.
As a thought, they may be post 1948 titles, and not the older ones.
CB

peter monahan 11-10-20 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 525253)
Actually those are not typical of the integrally cast lugs on Indian badges, nor is the construction of the badge as whole quite like the norm...

As a thought, they may be post 1948 titles, and not the older ones.
CB

The lugs look, to me, as if they were cast with the badge. My eyes are old. The construction is not identical to other IA badges, but perhaps a variuant or, as you say, later manufacture.

My only other thought is that the post '47 bades tend to be less well made, and this one certainly doesn't look that way to me.

Along with the usual 'Guilty / Not Guilty', the Scottish court system has a possible verdit, in a trial, of 'Not Proven'. This may be one of those cases. :)

Peter