British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   'On War Service' Database (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57566)

Jelly Terror 21-10-16 03:45 PM

'On War Service' Database

3 Attachment(s)
Would anyone know if there is a searchable register/database for the serial numbers on the women's 'on war service' badges?

With thanks,

JT

Attachment 158351 Attachment 158352 Attachment 158353

Phil2M 21-10-16 04:57 PM

Probably on paper in the NA at Kew?

Tonyn 23-10-16 07:39 PM

According to the IWM no list has been found.
The badges do have a unique number on the back and there would have been a register that recorded the issue of these badges although it has not been found. So, there is little more that can be discovered about individuals from these badges alone. However, they can of course give clues as to a person’s role in the war effort, if it is known who it belonged to.

This site may be of interest http://www.tomtulloch-marshall.co.uk...ce_Badges.html

Tony

Jelly Terror 23-10-16 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyn (Post 380200)
According to the IWM no list has been found.
The badges do have a unique number on the back and there would have been a register that recorded the issue of these badges although it has not been found. So, there is little more that can be discovered about individuals from these badges alone. However, they can of course give clues as to a person’s role in the war effort, if it is known who it belonged to.

This site may be of interest http://www.tomtulloch-marshall.co.uk...ce_Badges.html

Tony

Thank you, Tony. Appreciate your reply.

Regards,

JT

Nozzer 23-10-16 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyn (Post 380200)

I posted this thread a while back http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=48625 Other than Rob's response, I never really got anywhere with it.

Guzzman 25-10-16 11:17 AM

I was always under the impression that although the number should have been recorded with the recipient, these badges were often just handed out as required and no real attempt was made to record details.

Pete

Guzzman 25-10-16 11:54 AM

I've just checked my records to see if I have any further information. The following might be of interest :-

"The women's pattern triangular brooch was introduced in May 1916. It was available for women [I]"engaged in the manufacture of munitions of war or other urgent war work'[I], which included women employed full-time in canteens "etc" of such establishments, skilled and unskilled workers, clerical staff in the approved companies , charladies and cloakroom attendants. A woman could not be given a badge until she had two months on the job training and badges were not to be issued to girls under 16. No individual certificates were issued with the women's badges and the employer could control allocation and re-allocation of badges - they were basically left to their own devices in this respect although the same rules as for the mens badges applied regarding illegal wear and handing in when leaving employment or coming off war work.

During the eight months from May 1916 over 270,000 women's OWS badges were issued. The final number issued is not recorded but it must have been enormous".

Pete

Guzzman 25-10-16 11:55 AM

I've just checked my records to see if I have any further information. The following might be of interest :-

"The women's pattern triangular brooch was introduced in May 1916. It was available for women "engaged in the manufacture of munitions of war or other urgent war work", which included women employed full-time in canteens "etc" of such establishments, skilled and unskilled workers, clerical staff in the approved companies , charladies and cloakroom attendants. A woman could not be given a badge until she had two months on the job training and badges were not to be issued to girls under 16. No individual certificates were issued with the women's badges and the employer could control allocation and re-allocation of badges - they were basically left to their own devices in this respect although the same rules as for the mens badges applied regarding illegal wear and handing in when leaving employment or coming off war work.

During the eight months from May 1916 over 270,000 women's OWS badges were issued. The final number issued is not recorded but it must have been enormous".

Pete

Jelly Terror 25-10-16 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 380371)

"The women's pattern triangular brooch was introduced in May 1916. It was available for women [I]"engaged in the manufacture of munitions of war or other urgent war work'[I], which included women employed full-time in canteens "etc" of such establishments, skilled and unskilled workers, clerical staff in the approved companies , charladies and cloakroom attendants. A woman could not be given a badge until she had two months on the job training and badges were not to be issued to girls under 16. No individual certificates were issued with the women's badges and the employer could control allocation and re-allocation of badges - they were basically left to their own devices in this respect although the same rules as for the mens badges applied regarding illegal wear and handing in when leaving employment or coming off war work.

Pete

Interesting stuff, Pete. Many thanks for that.

Over 270,000! Incredible.

JT

dumdum 19-01-17 02:18 AM

1916 OWS badge

Hi

I have a small grouping of these including the usual WM version, a plated example and one that has been enamelled.

These badges also seem to have been made in smaller versions ( I have two nicely made silver miniatures) and another couple that appear to be made from a zinc like material plus yet ANOTHER that is made from scrap brass in five minutes before "knock off" time!

Lastly I possess a standard brass badge that has the name "S. ANDERSON" stamped very neatly into the back.

I have some trades in the general "OWS" field so contact me if you want to.

Jelly Terror 10-02-17 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 390596)
Hi

I have a small grouping of these including the usual WM version, a plated example and one that has been enamelled.

These badges also seem to have been made in smaller versions ( I have two nicely made silver miniatures) and another couple that appear to be made from a zinc like material plus yet ANOTHER that is made from scrap brass in five minutes before "knock off" time!

Lastly I possess a standard brass badge that has the name "S. ANDERSON" stamped very neatly into the back.

I have some trades in the general "OWS" field so contact me if you want to.

Hello dumdum,

White-metal? I've only ever seen these in brass. Any chance of some photos of your badges, at all?

Attachment 165062

All the best,

JT

dumdum 13-02-17 01:43 AM

1916 Munitons badge variants

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Have dug out these variants of the very familiar 1916 "triangle" badge. Some appear to be very well-made and some were clearly the result of someone with lots of time and a bit (but not TOO much..) talent and ability.:)
Hope the "boys at the front" didn't have to wait too long for their Mills bombs as a result!

dumdum 13-02-17 01:56 AM

More 1916 badges!

Hi JT

I've just posted the pics of the "homers" as we used to call them when I worked in a plastic injection moulding place.

Sorry that I didn't see your earlier post requesting a pic of the WM version but I'll dig this out for you.

Chances are that it COULD be a very heavily plated one but I did do a WEE test and examined it with a jeweller's loupe and couldn't see any brass. Soon brush off with wear....:p

I got the name wrong on the stamped one, as it is "A. SHACKLETON" and it has been done very well.

I do have a 1916 badge with the lady's "factory work card" and this could be the Anderson one.

Yet ANOTHER one has little "home made"(?) year bars "1916-1917; 1917-1918" soldered below the lower arm of the triangle with small holes for the placing of rings like some associations still do.

Beaker123 08-03-17 09:20 AM

Sort of 1916 Munitons badge variant

1 Attachment(s)
Morning,
Not sure if this is the right place for this but it fits into the general theme and is a nice photo. No idea of the location but there appears to be a date towards the bottom of the banner -1916 or 1918.

Steve H

dumdum 09-03-17 02:42 AM

Hi Steve

What a great picture!

Just love the graphic of the "munitionette" in the centre of the banner.

Reminds me of the "trade union/ friendly society" banners that I've seen.