British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   South Irish Horse Tunic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92973)

IMP 21-03-23 07:14 PM

South Irish Horse Tunic

3 Attachment(s)
Having only recently joined the Forum and randomly searching posts I am very impressed by the knowledge of the members.
I attach photographs of one of my tunics that may be of interest.

Attachment 281342

Attachment 281343

Attachment 281344

irishhorse 21-03-23 07:16 PM

South Irish Horse Collars

Thanks for sharing. Not seen the SIH collar badges before.

IMP 21-03-23 07:19 PM

You are welcome. If you want additional images of the tunic let me know

manchesters 21-03-23 08:01 PM

Nice tunic and collar badges but just wondering why has it got a QVC Majors rank badge with wear not consistent to the rest of the tunic?

Has it been added.

regards

IMP 21-03-23 09:38 PM

South Irish Horse Tunic

1 Attachment(s)
The Tunic is as I received it. It belonged to the Earl of Wicklow (Ralph Francis Howard, 7th Earl of Wicklow (24 December 1877 – 11 October 1946)

The uniform was tailored by HAMBURGER, ROGERS & Co. 30 Kings St, Covent Garden, London, W.C.

As for the particular Rank Insignia i have no idea why that particular pattern was used or as to the wear.

cbuehler 21-03-23 11:37 PM

very rare tunic indeed! Superb provenance as well. Regarding the crowns, I am not particularly concerned as it is only the crimson felt nap that appears to be a casualty of time. As for their being QVC, again not a worry as the tunic was likely tailored not long after his service with the Life Guards in the Boer War. He was a major of the regiment as of 1909; QVC crowns were still in common wear then.

CB

IMP 22-03-23 08:51 AM

CB.

Thanks for the info.

Seoirse

YeoHelmetGuy 27-03-23 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMP (Post 599270)
Having only recently joined the Forum and randomly searching posts I am very impressed by the knowledge of the members.

Attachment 281342

Attachment 281343

Attachment 281344

... i find the tailors label that looks to have been removed from a garment and restitched rather haphazardly and not in a way what one expects from a professional tailor a bit curious...

David

cbuehler 27-03-23 09:50 PM

The label has indeed been restitched. All such labels were originally hand stitched on and they often wear away or come off with use and time.

CB

Grevisk 11-08-23 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=IMP;599270]Having only recently joined the Forum and randomly searching posts I am very impressed by the knowledge of the members.

Hi, Very impressive indeed, nice to see something in colour for a change. I now know the true colour of the uniform my man James Bayliss is wearing, so thanks for that.

Hoot 13-08-23 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=Grevisk;608031]
Quote:

Originally Posted by IMP (Post 599270)

Hi, Very impressive indeed, nice to see something in colour for a change. I now know the true colour of the uniform my man James Bayliss is wearing, so thanks for that.

I notice his collar badges are the opposite way round to those in the opening post. Someone has blundered. :)

Grevisk 13-08-23 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Hoot;608139]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grevisk (Post 608031)

I notice his collar badges are the opposite way round to those in the opening post. Someone has blundered. :)

Well spotted that man!
The Earl of Wicklow's collar badges were possibly made individually by the tailor's who created the uniform for him. Whereas Bayliss's tailor possibly had to rely on what was to hand.

The SIH collar badges were exactly the same as the cap badge as can be seen in the attached close ups, the two in the middle are SIY and the outer two are SIH.

I've yet to see, or come across, any war time photo's of men with collar badges, so the practice of wearing collar badges seems to have been dropped from the uniform.