British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal 1st Devon Yeo - the definitive thread! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5948)

cbuehler 17-10-08 05:00 PM

Royal 1st Devon Yeo - the definitive thread!

All,
Is there any difference between the Lion and Crown OSD badges that were used by the General Staff Corps or the Royal Devon Yeomanry? I had the impression that Staff or Colonel's badges were normally emboidered for OSD, while the bronze version was that of the Royal Devons? Thanks.

CB

Peter Brydon 20-10-08 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
By one of those strange coincidences I picked up the attached at a local Antiques Fair on Sunday.
Not my thing, do any members have any thoughts ?

P.B.

cbuehler 20-10-08 06:28 PM

Ah, well I guess I will take a stab at it. Could the badge with the crimson backing be a metal version of the staff badge and the other for the R. Devon Yeomanry? There is pictured in Joachim's OSD album what he describes as a General staff OSD badge, but I am thinking that it is actually for the Yeomanry regiment in question. Lets hear from some others!

CB

Alan O 20-10-08 07:16 PM

Who is to say that the RDY Offrs badges were not the same design as the later Bz staff ones? Staff Officer badges come in variety of materials.

I would be interested to see a RDY ORs badge that is slidered.

Alan

dragonz18 20-10-08 07:58 PM

Alan,
can't help with the slidered RDY, but oddly have seen a KC Bullion Staff Officer's badge with a slider. The slider was attached to a shaped metal back plate that was stiched onto the badge through small holes around the edges.:confused:
Cheers !
Steve

Chrisr 26-11-08 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CB

There is a difference. Below is a genuine Royal 1st Devonshire Yeomanry. The difference is between the inside back leg of the lion and the top of the crown. With the RDY there is no gap at that point - making two gaps between the curve of the crown and the underside of the lion. With the General Staff badge there is a gap between the inside leg and the top of the crown - making three gaps between the curve of the crown and the underside of the lion. See also K&K 1453 and Gaylor Plate 29E

Cheers
Chris

Chrisr 26-11-08 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 25155)
By one of those strange coincidences I picked up the attached at a local Antiques Fair on Sunday.
Not my thing, do any members have any thoughts ?

P.B.

PB,

I agree with CB, The badge with the crimson backing is the General Staff and the other is Royal 1st Devonshire Yeomanry although I have never seen one in brass. K&K say they were in bronze and also in white metal.

Cheers
Chris

jeanpit-frenchy 26-11-08 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
please this BZ one !
general staf or yeomanry ??

Alan O 26-11-08 01:46 PM

General Staff in my opinion especially with the fold over blades.

Alan

cbuehler 26-11-08 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisr (Post 27391)
CB

There is a difference. Below is a genuine Royal 1st Devonshire Yeomanry. The difference is between the inside back leg of the lion and the top of the crown. With the RDY there is no gap at that point - making two gaps between the curve of the crown and the underside of the lion. With the General Staff badge there is a gap between the inside leg and the top of the crown - making three gaps between the curve of the crown and the underside of the lion. See also K&K 1453 and Gaylor Plate 29E

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris,
I do have to wonder if this is a hard and fast rule. Could this possibly be just a manufacturers variation? I have a badge very similar to that posted by Jeanpit, which would make it GS as it has the three gaps.
Regarding the GS OSD badges, during what time frame were these worn?

CB

Toby Purcell 26-11-08 09:04 PM

I too think it's General Staff.

Chrisr 27-11-08 11:09 AM

CB,
I don't think we can discount that some members of the RDY may have worn a GS badge in lieu at times and your point in this regard may well be valid. Nonetheless, the pattern for the RDY was different from that of the GS badge as mentioned earlier. If we are looking at procuring a RDY badge then we need to recognise that the patterns of the two badges were different. I would think that Regiments would want to ensure their badge was different, that is the crux of having a distinctive regimental badge. My own experience was we were proud of our distinctive badge. Having the Royal Crest as a regiment badge makes this difficult. While the distinction is minor for RDY at least it is there. If one wants to use a GS badge in lieu of the RDY pattern in their collection that is a personal choice. For my money a correct pattern badge is the one worth having and I held out for many years before I could acquire one.

Jeanpit Frenchy,

The blades on my RDY badge are E-W rather than N-S and I am of the opinion yours is a GS badge; not because of the blades but because it is a GS pattern badge, albeit the gap between the inside leg and the top of the crown is small.

Cheers
Chris

Chrisr 16-04-09 11:19 AM

Royal 1st Devon Yeo - the differences

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would show the differences, according to K&K, between the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry badge and the Extra-Regimentally Employed List badge, which is often offered on ebay as the Yeo badge.

The first badge (on the left as you look at them) is the Extra -Regimentally Employed List badge. K&K 1083. Made in gilt. Also in bronze. Worn from c 1904 - 1953. It is also the badge worn by Colonels and, after 1920, Brigadiers. This badge is often sold as the Yeo badge in brass.

The second badge(on the right as you look at them) is the Royal 1st Devonshire Yeomanry. K&K 1453. Made in bronze. Also white metal. Worn 1908 - 1920. (The Royal 1st Devonshire Imperial Yeomanry badge was in white metal)

The distinguishing features are the bronze EREL has three gaps between the lion's legs and the top of the crown and Yeo badge has two, as shown in the comparative photo. The Yeo badge is also smaller. Note: what appears to be a small gap near the top of the crown on the Yeo badge is actually a reflection from the flash. The inner rear leg and the top of the crown are in one piece.

According to K&K, the Yeo badge was not made in brass or gilt, as many of the ebay badges are.

Cheers
Chris

wright241 16-04-09 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisr (Post 36994)
Just thought I would show the differences, according to K&K, between the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry badge and the Extra-Regimental List badge, which is often offered on ebay as the Yeo badge.
Cheers
Chris

Good information Chrisr. Many thanks.
Maybe all this (good) Forum information could form the basis of a publication.
Theres a thought.....

boots and saddles 16-04-09 12:39 PM

Yes Chris quite a difference indeed.