British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   9 KARAT GOLD LRDG BADGE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45841)

actionoke 17-04-15 09:23 AM

9 KARAT GOLD LRDG BADGE

2 Attachment(s)
I just got this from a veterans family.Its marked 9 Karat gold and has a brooch pin.This type I am led to believe was made in Cairo as a sweetheart badge but I also think something like this could have been used by officers as a head dress badge .Any thoughts on this?

manchesters 17-04-15 09:27 AM

Lovely badge.

I heard they were made from gold taken from dead Germans. Urban myth?

regards

popskipa 17-04-15 09:32 AM

Hello,

In my opinion the gold badge is a sweetheart brooch. Made and purchased in Cairo.

A fine item indeed.

Keith

arrestingu 17-04-15 05:30 PM

stunning !! :D

Roy 17-04-15 05:34 PM

Wonderful badge,

Looks to be lovely quality. Thanks for sharing.

Roy.

Mike B 17-04-15 07:12 PM

A quality piece, and a bonus to have provenance too :)

Mike

popskipa 18-04-15 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A similar badge but in silver...

IMP 24-03-23 09:37 PM

KARAT GOLD LRDG BADGE #2

5 Attachment(s)
It is with interest that i read the post on the LRDG Gold badge as i have one in my collection for a very long time. I managed to relieve an even older collector friend of mine of this badge. It took me a long time to get it but the wait was worth while. Now for the interesting part. There are a number of "marks" on the rear of this badge that i would like any information on. Even hazard a guess. The badge originally came from a collector in Wales.

popskipa 24-03-23 11:20 PM

A very nice badge

9K is the gold content, 9 carat.

Keith

gary1666 25-03-23 01:41 PM

Do you mean the marks by the hinge and c catch? That is probably where solder has been filed away, it is very common on repairs on jewellery (you see a lot of Victorian silver brooches repaired in the 20's and 30's, with the same marks), although I wouldn't let that detract in any way as its a lovely thing, and if it is a repair, its likely a pretty old one anyway.

gary1666 25-03-23 01:44 PM

Oh ... just seen the other lines which could be letters! Is there a chance it wasn't a brooch in it's original form? Possibly a pendant? It looks like whatever lettering there was has had the hinge plate and catch put over it?

mike_vee 25-03-23 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gary1666 (Post 599527)
Is there a chance it wasn't a brooch in it's original form? Possibly a pendant? It looks like whatever lettering there was has had the hinge plate and catch put over it?

When you compare the hinge & catch positions with the sweetheart in post #1 it looks to me that either the original fittings were replaced or there were no fittings to begin with ?

Could it have been a 'flat' backed medallion , for display rather than wear ?

Lettering either a personal 'inscription' or makers mark/details ? :confused:

billy 25-03-23 03:31 PM

A lovely badge!

IMP 25-03-23 04:35 PM

9 KARAT GOLD LRDG BADGE #2

1 Attachment(s)
If you look at the initials beside the Hinge they appear to be FM and at the clasp TM. As for the badge "pattern" any ideas.

mike_vee 26-03-23 07:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The photos you posted on GMIC in 2019 are clearer.