British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   9th Lancers Kings Crown White Metal, Only Two Lugs, Behind Pennons. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70167)

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 08:28 AM

9th Lancers Kings Crown White Metal, Only Two Lugs, Behind Pennons.

2 Attachment(s)
The photos aren't the best, I know the layer of verdigris isn't going to help, but can this be identified as good or bad?
Is the positioning of the lugs, only two and behind the pennons an automatic disqualification?

Alan O 11-10-18 01:31 PM

For a lugged badge I would expect 4 lugs. It's possible the lower ones were lost.

Alan

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 02:07 PM

Yes, seems a strange arrangement.
I'll check it re. missing lugs but I don't think it's had more than the two or a slider that's been replaced.
I'd better get to grips with the verdigris, see what it may be hiding.

Frank Kelley 11-10-18 07:11 PM

You do, on occasion, encounter original badges with two lugs, although, they certainly lack the quality of the typical Edwardian badges and I would think that they were not made in that decade.
I suspect that badge is likely to be an original example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 456595)
The photos aren't the best, I know the layer of verdigris isn't going to help, but can this be identified as good or bad?
Is the positioning of the lugs, only two and behind the pennons an automatic disqualification?

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 07:29 PM

I'll clean it up, not something I'd normally do but it makes sense to sort out the verdigris.

Frank Kelley 15-10-18 07:50 PM

It would certainly benefit from a clean.

leigh kitchen 15-10-18 08:01 PM

I'm looking for the Black & Decker and it's sanding pad now..........

Frank Kelley 16-10-18 07:17 AM

Verdigris is a real pain, I hate it!

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 10:47 AM

15 Attachment(s)
Right, after 1/2 hour in my own special blend of verdigris remover, this is revealed........

Frank Kelley 17-10-18 12:55 PM

Not really a fan of that particular badge from the detailed images you now show.

leigh kitchen 17-10-18 01:16 PM

Quite a hard, bright silver colour with dull patches and brown stains from the verdigris and cleaning solution, yellow brazing dull copper footed lugs, some aspects I like, some I don't, I'm with you on this one.

verdun 21-10-18 04:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
hello
i don't know if that can help and may be i am totally wrong but except lugs this badge seems to be very similar that the one i have with a gaunt mark ,not the fake 15 mm one with a dot, not the 11mm ones

regards
christophe

leigh kitchen 21-10-18 04:43 PM

Thank you.

Luke H 21-10-18 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457582)
hello
i don't know if that can help and may be i am totally wrong but except lugs this badge seems to be very similar that the one i have with a gaunt mark ,not the fake 15 mm one with a dot, not the 11mm ones

regards
christophe

I think Christophe is right regarding the badge being from the same die.

Personally I’m not comfortable with the 2 loops badge for all the reasons mentioned. Those loops look very modern to me.

leigh kitchen 22-10-18 05:53 AM

The location of the loops, considering there's only two, sounded alarm bells, I just chose to ignore them.
£2.50, better spent on beer.