British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   WWII Enlisted rank (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67674)

Phill Lockett 29-04-18 03:23 AM

WWII Enlisted rank

2 Attachment(s)
Hi friends

Question. How do you describe the construction of this style of WWII enlisted rank? I require it for my database.

regards

Phill

manchesters 29-04-18 07:33 AM

Sergeants 3 bar Chevron in Khaki worsted.

regards

Phill Lockett 29-04-18 08:16 AM

Thanks Simon

Do the bars have a specific name or are they just called "bars" ie "woven or embroidered bars"?

cheers

Phill

leigh kitchen 29-04-18 09:12 AM

Herringbone tape is a term often for the pattern of fabric chevrons sewn to the backing cloth.

leigh kitchen 29-04-18 09:20 AM

Double post

Postwarden 29-04-18 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Although from a later period, these chevrons have their official description on the attached label.

Such NCO badges are always known by the British Army as chevrons or stripes but never bars.

Jon

manchesters 29-04-18 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 442274)
Although from a later period, these chevrons have their official description on the attached label.

Such NCO badges are always known by the British Army as chevrons or stripes but never bars.

Jon

Despite what it says on the label?

Phill Lockett 29-04-18 06:55 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

How about this for a description, that I could use for this type of WWII chevron's in my database.

Herringbone tape on worsted wool Sgt chevrons WWII era.

Phill

Postwarden 30-04-18 08:37 AM

Simon,

Whoops! I must learn to read.

Jon

grumpy 30-04-18 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 442274)

Jon

These are "badges Good Conduct" I believe, made up at various times in sixes or fives, and never ever used as ranking. Other than Household troops full dress, and all branches pre-1914, the good conduct badges of four or fewer were identical to the rank chevrons.
Pedantically, chevrons are point up.

grey_green_acorn 30-04-18 12:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
To add to the discussion, I suspect that use of the descriptive term "bar" is for stores identification purposes and to avoid tautology and mis-accounting as shown in the Catalogue of Clothing and Necessaries 1949 with for example:

"Chevrons, Service 3-bar" rather than "Chevrons, Service 3 chevrons"

More recently JSP768 uses "Stripe, Service" describes as "Chevron" and lists variations as Bar 1 etc.

Tim

manchesters 30-04-18 01:29 PM

I love those Catalogue's of Clothing and Necessaries, so informative, wish i could find one, seem to be quite scarce.

regards

Phill Lockett 30-04-18 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.

Phill

Marcel 17-05-18 09:15 AM

I am highly interested in a picture of the "Chevrons, miniature, printed -For caps, peaked" as I never have encountered an example.

They are mentioned in the above Catalogue of Clothing and Necessaries 1949.

Postwarden 17-05-18 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very hard to find. The attached image shows samples. I will try and dig the originals out of my files and scan them alongside the normal versions for comparison.

Jon