British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Royal Artillery sword (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81127)

Mikeb 07-10-20 04:33 PM

Royal Artillery sword

Afternoon all, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section but I have come across a Royal Artillery sword made by Wilkinson Sword (serial 9570). I have spent many days googling and trying to find more about this sword in the hope of tracing its origin and knowing more.

Any help or insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill A 07-10-20 06:28 PM

Hello Mikeb, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Images would be helpful.

Pembird 07-10-20 07:28 PM

Sword

This sword number falls into the category for the year 1859.

Mikeb 07-10-20 07:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thabk you for the welcome, I am trying to upload some pictures but having trouble doing it on my phone. Wow 1859! Is there anything significant to look for on the blade. It doesn't appear to have a location mark between the royal and artillery inscription

These photos will hopfully upload

Lancer 17 08-10-20 06:53 AM

G'day Mike

Having a look at Brian Robson's book Swords of the British Army which is the bible on British Army swords, a sword that looks like yours is shown in the chapter covering Corps and Departmental swords, it is illustrated on page 152 , plate 166 with 3 pages of follow on information.

The sword is described as :- 166, Royal Artillery officers Circa 1850, blade length 351/2 inches by 1 inch, slightly curved, flat back, single fuller to each side to within 12 inches of the point, grip wood covered in shark skin and bound with silver or steel wire.

Some better photographs of the hilt and the engraving on the blade to clearly show the crown ( probably Queen Vic) and the pommel (Top of the hilt) which will help to identify the sword.

If you would like to pm me your email address I can send you scans of the info in the book.

Regards

Phil.

Mikeb 08-10-20 08:32 AM

Thank you for your detailed reply phil I have PM'd you.

I will try to get some more detailed pictures up today. I really appreciate all of your help and im enjoying learning more about the history of the sword.

Pembird 08-10-20 10:51 AM

Sword

As no doubt you are aware,the cartouche displays the owners initials. You can access certain websites and for a fee get any information held on the Wilkinson register as to who ordered the sword.

Mikeb 08-10-20 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pembird (Post 525003)
As no doubt you are aware,the cartouche displays the owners initials. You can access certain websites and for a fee get any information held on the Wilkinson register as to who ordered the sword.

I am struggling to see what the initials are. I am seeing all sorts of letters HAM, JCAM,? What websites could I get instant Wilkinson
register as I went to one and had to fill out a form

Many thanks

btns 08-10-20 12:55 PM

I agree on H.A.M.