British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mystery Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37648)

Peter Aitkens 15-02-14 05:56 PM

Mystery Badge

2 Attachment(s)
I have been sent these pictures by a Rifle Club who found the badge amongst their records. The badge is brass and measures 10 cm by 5.5 cm. You will notice that the "Honi Soit..." is not centred and there is an odd silver centrepiece. I have assured the Rifle Club that members of this forum will come up with a satisfactory answer and solve the problem in half a trice. My own thoughts are that it is part of the decorations on a horse harness. Appreciate any help.

Robthereiver 15-02-14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Aitkens (Post 250233)
I have been sent these pictures by a Rifle Club who found the badge amongst their records. The badge is brass and measures 10 cm by 5.5 cm. You will notice that the "Honi Soit..." is not centred and there is an odd silver centrepiece. I have assured the Rifle Club that members of this forum will come up with a satisfactory answer and solve the problem in half a trice. My own thoughts are that it is part of the decorations on a horse harness. Appreciate any help.

Peter

I don't know about 'half at trice' it may take a little longer:D
but for what its worth, I think you could be right, it maybe a piece of Horse furniture, possibly from a breast plate.
However, I have no idea what it pertains too, it could be military, but there again could it be civil? interesting piece though.

Regards
Rob

3748 Hussar 15-02-14 08:10 PM

Martingale badge

Hi Peter/Rob,

You are both correct, its horse furniture. Martingale badge to one of the household Regt,s . off the top of my head I can’t remember which one. :o

Keep hold of it, only ever seen yours mine with the leather backing and one other.

Will post a pic of mine on my return to the Uk

3748 Hussar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 250240)
Peter

I don't know about 'half at trice' it may take a little longer:D
but for what its worth, I think you could be right, it maybe a piece of Horse furniture, possibly from a breast plate.
However, I have no idea what it pertains too, it could be military, but there again could it be civil? interesting piece though.

Regards
Rob

Robthereiver 17-02-14 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar (Post 250248)
Hi Peter/Rob,

You are both correct, its horse furniture. Martingale badge to one of the household Regt,s . off the top of my head I can’t remember which one. :o

Keep hold of it, only ever seen yours mine with the leather backing and one other.

Will post a pic of mine on my return to the Uk

3748 Hussar

Tony

Spot on! I think its a Blues & Royals Officers Breast plate Device, I can't find a decent image but the description is in 'The Household Cavalry Regiment' by Roy Manser, quote: 'a brass boss bearing a crown over the garter, with a scalloped centre piece in steel', and that sounds about right, I hope so:D.

The other ranks ones are quite common, officers much less so, actually I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Rob

Peter Aitkens 17-02-14 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 250482)
Tony

Spot on! I think its a Blues & Royals Officers Breast plate Device, I can't find a decent image but the description is in 'The Household Cavalry Regiment' by Roy Manser, quote: 'a brass boss bearing a crown over the garter, with a scalloped centre piece in steel', and that sounds about right, I hope so:D.

The other ranks ones are quite common, officers much less so, actually I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Rob

Rob

The only problem I have with that is the "Honi Soit.." bit is not within a Garter, which seems unlikely. However the rest seems to match perfectly.

P

Robthereiver 17-02-14 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Aitkens (Post 250509)
Rob

The only problem I have with that is the "Honi Soit.." bit is not within a Garter, which seems unlikely. However the rest seems to match perfectly.

P

Peter

I know what you mean normally a garter has an end hanging from the bottom of it etc. but I would suggest that the circle containing the Honi Soit... etc. might be classed as a garter in this instance?, or this is a variant? or the description isn't quite accurate?, which does happen.

Also, I think your breast plate device is use for 'Review Order' also there is I believe another 'Regimental' Breast plate device, which was used in 'Guard Order' (though this may just apply to the Life Guards). Household Cavalry Dress reg's, even for Horses, appear to be a bit of nightmare to understand, excuse the puns!

Tony might have a view on this or another member of the forum perhaps there's an ex HCMR Officer in our midst:D

Rob

3748 Hussar 17-02-14 11:31 PM

Pic . Drum horse Blues and Royals

Hi Rob,Peter,

Rob thanks for the website reference :D . How did you miss the nag with the horse furniture under discussion . It's as clear as black and white excuse the pun . Something I have learned it's also worn as a bit boss.
Looking into why the garter is the way it is .
Image under drum horse full dress Blues and Royals.

Regards

Tony C

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 250514)
Peter

I know what you mean normally a garter has an end hanging from the bottom of it etc. but I would suggest that the circle containing the Honi Soit... etc. might be classed as a garter in this instance?, or this is a variant? or the description isn't quite accurate?, which does happen.

Also, I think your breast plate device is use for 'Review Order' also there is I believe another 'Regimental' Breast plate device, which was used in 'Guard Order' (though this may just apply to the Life Guards). Household Cavalry Dress reg's, even for Horses, appear to be a bit of nightmare to understand, excuse the puns!

Tony might have a view on this or another member of the forum perhaps there's an ex HCMR Officer in our midst:D

Rob

3748 Hussar 18-02-14 12:01 AM

Clearer pic

Hi All,

Clearly jet lagged see link for a better pic,s . Also in Black and white :D

http://www.pinterest.com/ihatehousew...oyals-for-dad/

Tony C

Peter Aitkens 18-02-14 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar (Post 250593)
Hi All,

Tony C

Tony

That's brilliant. No doubt about it - case closed. Would I be right in saying that the horse shown is the mount of an officer from the Blues and Royals, in that you can just see a black 'beard' bottom left.

Once again many thanks.

P

Mike 18-02-14 01:55 PM

I can see one of my own images on that page.
so how does pinterest work then with copyright ?

Robthereiver 18-02-14 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar (Post 250593)
Hi All,

Tony C

Hi Tony

I was looking at Officers mounts, overlooked the Drum horse never mind:o.

As you say worn as bit boss as well, which when you think it through should not really surprise us, as O/R's state bits have the royal cypher with waterloo peninsular bit boss's which is also used as a breast plate ornament:)

Rob

Peter Aitkens 22-02-14 11:19 AM

Identified

Many thanks for contributions from Forum Members - as expected the Forum came up trumps and here is the proof - the badge can be clearly seen as part of the Horse's harness.

Peter Aitkens 22-02-14 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Somehow the picture got left behind here is another try.